Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vikings TE?

enlvikeman is offline Hall of Famer

Vikings TE?

Tight End, Coach Draw Vikings' Interest
    By Viking Update Staff

Date: Jan 23, 2006

The Vikings were spotted taking an interest in a tight end at the Senior Bowl, and they may be getting close to finding another defensive coach with a strong reputation.

At the Senior Bowl on Monday morning, the Vikings showed an interest in USC Trojans tight end Dominique Byrd, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound all-around tight end prospect who is currently considered about a mid-round draft pick, according to TFY Draft Preview’s Tony Pauline.

Although the Vikings likely aren’t looking to replace tight ends Jim Kleinsasser or Jermaine Wiggins in the starting lineup, Byrd could turn into a strong developmental prospect. The Vikings don’t have any of their tight ends scheduled for free agency.

In 2005, Byrd was a Mackey Award and All-American candidate who could stretch the field from the tight end spot. He had arthroscopic surgery to remove torn cartilage in a toe prior to the 2005 spring practices but assumed the starting role upon his return. He also suffered a broken jaw.

In 2004, he broke his left kneecap playing in a pickup basketball game and missed the first four games, but still managed 37 receptions for 384 yards (10.4 average) with three TDs. He also missed spring practices and the latter part of the 2003 season with torn ligaments in his left knee.

Byrd also has a local connection, attending Breck, a private high school in Minneapolis where he caught 62 passes for 1,236 yards and 25 touchdowns as a senior tight end and had a team-high 108 tackles, including 21 for losses, as a linebacker. He also had four sacks and four interceptions. He had an outstanding junior season as well, catching 56 passes for 1,280 yards and 17 TDs, as well as garnering 109 tackles on defense.

At Breck, he also was a standout at basketball and track, starting as an eighth-grader after getting a waiver to do so.

# The Vikings could be looking at a defensive position coach and it’s a familiar last name. There are strong indications coming from the Senior Bowl that Kurt Schottenheimer will interview for of the position coaching spots left open under head coach Brad Childress. Schottenheimer has experience with all three vacant positions, linebackers, defensive backs and special teams.

Schottenheimer began his tenure with the Lions in 2002 as their defensive coordinator, following up coordinating stints at the Washington Redskins in 2001 and Kansas City Chiefs in 1999-2000. He has 15 years of NFL coaching experience. He also coached with the Cleveland Browns from 1987-88.

It was in Kansas City that Schottenheimer established a name for himself in NFL circles. In 1999, Schottenheimer’s Chiefs defense set a franchise record by producing nine defensive touchdowns, the NFL’s best mark. Kansas City also led the NFL with a plus-21 turnover ratio and ranked second with 45 takeaways, 20 fumble recoveries and 125 points off takeaways. The Chiefs ended that season ranked second in the AFC in interceptions (25). During his time as the team’s defensive backs coach, the Chiefs’ secondary helped the defense allow only 16.4 points per game, equaling the lowest mark in the NFL. He also helped mold defensive backs James Hasty and Dale Carter into perennial Pro Bowl players.

He also coached special teams for two seasons with Cleveland in 1987.

Schottenheimer was the linebackers coach at Notre Dame in 1986 under Lou Holtz after holding the same position at Louisiana State (1984-85). He also was a defensive assistant for one season at Tulane (1983) and five seasons at Michigan State (1978-82). He began his coaching career as defensive coordinator at William Patterson State College in New Jersey (1974-75).

He is the younger brother of San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer

"24 mil under the cap? there are teams 30 mil over the cap, heck that gives us at least 50 mil to spend"

CollegeGuyJeff circa 2006

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings TE?

I like good TE's two years ago i raised hell about drafting Ben Watson but nobody wanted him, now he's one of the best TE's in the game, in only his first full year. I Love big fast TE's who can stretch the field it causes mismatches with defenders, if you look at the SB teams this year you will see that both there TE's are big fast and stretch the field. I like Jermaine, he's the man at what he does but if we want to cause those mismatches give our QB a beast for a TE. It doesn't mean we dump Jermain it means we add another dimention to our offense and for the future.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

If we moved Jimmy K to FB, we could probably take Byrd with a mid-round pick...otherwise, he will probably sit the bench most of the season...and we do have other more pressing needs!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

only reason we should draft a TE is if we plan to play with two TEs alot. it kind of make sense as we could get kliensasser in only a blocking role and fullback role. also it depends who our quarterback is. if we have a young guy, another TE is good idea. young guys like to throw to the TEs.

but we really dont need another receiver.
    We're bringing purple back.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

NO Vernon Davis!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

NFL Channel is reporting from the Senoir Bowl this week. They covered practice yesterday and showed a clip of Byrd. He is BIG, but I didn't see the stretch the field in him. He lumbered instead of flying that is for sure. Mid to later rounds for sure.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

only reason i could think we'd waste our first round pick on a tight end is if kleinsasser is turned into a fullback again for our running game and we all know how he can block and open holes. plus he can catch balls across the flats.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

He catches just about everything thrown his way! Very good hands, worth a mid-round pick! But will he still be there?
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

why would u draft a guy that has had so many problems before even going pro? draft the guy if hes around in the 5th-7th rounds, hes not worth a 3rd or 4th with that many injuries..not very durable
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

and another thing just because the vikings are looking at a tight end don't mean they are going to draft him, thats probably just a smoke screen. just like last year the vikings were looking at mike williams so people don't know we wanted troy williamson. funny thing is that fool williams thought we were gonna draft him up until we didn't ha ha.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast