Re: Vikings targeting specific QB at 12

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095007
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095000
    Quote Originally Posted by "PackSux!" #1094991
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094938
    Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1094922
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094919
    Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1094915
    So were targeting either Mallett Locker or Gabbert, I would assume, with Newton already gone. I don't know what to believe right now. All 3 could potentially be worthy of that #12 overall spot. All 3 have knocks.

Gabbert - Only 16 TDs last year, and didn't play in a pro style offense. Are teams currently talking him up because they really covet someone else?

Locker - Not from a pro style system, but certainly has the athletic ability, maybe more of a developmental project than the other guys. A lot of buzz both good and bad about this kid. Very interested in where he winds up.

Mallett - How much of the whirlwind that surrounds Mallett is true and how much is being spread by teams that want him to fall to them?

Who has actually gone on record to say Ryan Mallett did something that's a legitimate concern? The kid did 'drugs' in college, stop the presses. All we know for sure is the he can fucking sling the pig skin.

Again interesting to say the least to see where Mallett goes in the draft.
    Hey JJ. How ya been.

I actually don't think this staff is interested in Mallet at all especially when you look back at history and see what kinds of QB's Musgrove has either had under his tutelage as a QB coach or O-coord.
    Pretty good, been busy with school and coop. It's turkey season in Ontario though so I plan to get out, and get a bird, in my week between coop and going back to school. How about you?

But also on more important matters.. What character issues with Mallett? Point me to one instance that leads you to think he's a questionable character. Team-mates and coaches repeatedly stand up for him. Only negative i've heard is 'drugs' and questionable character relating to 'drugs'.

If I'm working for an NFL team and this kid is the most talented QB coming out of the draft. I'm finding out exactly what drugs Mallett did and how often. It's all just word of mouth up until that point.

Without that knowledge we can't really put a fair label on him. Didn't Percy Harvin fail a drug test at the combine?
    I went one weekend (turkey hunting) and had 4 hot gobbling. I think they were jakes who went to the opposite field (about 100 yards through the trees) from the field I set up on.

My issue with Mallet is his feet, not his off the field stuff. Absolutely love his arm.

I watched something on NFLN a few weeks back that layed out what defenses were gearing up to do to stop the spread offenses as they start to spew forth into the league.

During a few of his collegiate games, late, when they needed the QB to make playes, teams got after him and he melted down. At the next level, they bring the heat like that all the time.

In short, a slow footed, pure pocket passer won't last long my friend. Doesn't matter how good his arm is or how well liked he is by his team.
    Tom Brady is a slow footed, pure pocket passer. Brady seemed to have worked out nicely in the NFL. :whistle:
    Don't bother arguing with him. He has his opinion he will defend to the death.

I have to say it's the most rediculous statement I've heard on this board.

The days of a pocket passer are dead? LMAO!!

Runners get hit and hurt WAY more often than passers.
    Boggles the mind.
    I would niether be surprised or disappointed if the Vikes take Mallett.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1094947
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1094944
    I don't care if we do not draft one this year. From whay i remember, before the combine, the talk was that there was no franchise QB's this draft. Gabbert was the best of the class. Newton had the most upside. No one else was ready. Now a couple of months later, Newton, and Gabbert are franchise, 6-8 QB;s could end up being starters? No draft is ever that good. We need to remember how they played AGAINST COMPETITION, not how they played in their pro days or at the combine. Wait until there is a REAL QB coming out.
    I do find it amusing how the stock of QB's goes up and down for really no reason during the runup to the draft. In the end the media hacks have to make bold predictions in order to try to hit paydirt with a pick nobody else saw coming.

I often wonder if some college athletes have under the table agreements with some of the analysts to trump them up prior to the draft in exchange for some payola if they are drafted at a particular spot or higher.
    It is crazy. Hopefully rational minds will prevail for the Vikings and they don't get caught up in the hype, because that's what most of it is.

Locker at #12 is too early, no way they can be that sold on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1095016
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1094947
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1094944
    I don't care if we do not draft one this year. From whay i remember, before the combine, the talk was that there was no franchise QB's this draft. Gabbert was the best of the class. Newton had the most upside. No one else was ready. Now a couple of months later, Newton, and Gabbert are franchise, 6-8 QB;s could end up being starters? No draft is ever that good. We need to remember how they played AGAINST COMPETITION, not how they played in their pro days or at the combine. Wait until there is a REAL QB coming out.
    I do find it amusing how the stock of QB's goes up and down for really no reason during the runup to the draft. In the end the media hacks have to make bold predictions in order to try to hit paydirt with a pick nobody else saw coming.

I often wonder if some college athletes have under the table agreements with some of the analysts to trump them up prior to the draft in exchange for some payola if they are drafted at a particular spot or higher.
    It is crazy. Hopefully rational minds will prevail for the Vikings and they don't get caught up in the hype, because that's what most of it is.

Locker at #12 is too early, no way they can be that sold on the guy.
    +1 Spot on Tasty!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Vikings expect seven quarterbacks in first 42 picks

the Vikings’ brain trust has conducted 15 different two-round mock drafts, trying to consider every possibility for how the draft could go. And to the extent that they can accurately determine how other teams will act, the Vikings think they’ve figured out that seven quarterbacks will go off the board before their own second-round pick, which is No. 43 overall

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095076

the Vikings’ brain trust has conducted 15 different two-round mock drafts, trying to consider every possibility for how the draft could go. And to the extent that they can accurately determine how other teams will act, the Vikings think they’ve figured out that seven quarterbacks will go off the board before their own second-round pick, which is No. 43 overall

would not be surprised.

Everyone's jumping on th eQB wagon this year. Lots of mediocre guys will burn lots of high draft picks this year.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095077

would not be surprised.

Everyone's jumping on th eQB wagon this year. Lots of mediocre guys will burn lots of high draft picks this year.
    I'm thinking about investing in turd polish futures cause I think these guys are starting to get over valued quickly

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095078

would not be surprised.

I'm thinking about investing in turd polish futures cause I think these guys are starting to get over valued quickly
    They already are. Newton and Gabbert aren't #1 quality players, but they're being ranked up there.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

would not be surprised.

However, the Vikings insist that they won’t reach for a quarterback just because they’re expecting other teams to draft quarterbacks. So if they take Dalton at 12, that means they think Dalton is a good value at 12.
    Hmmm... don't know about that. If there truly is that much interest in QB's in the first round and a half, there should be some good trade bait available.

We are desperate for a quality QB, but that doesn't mean we should act like a desperate organization and reach for a questionable talent.

With all this hype about QB's going early, the complete opposite will probably happen...everyone just trying to make the other jump in the wrong direction.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1095083

would not be surprised.

However, the Vikings insist that they won’t reach for a quarterback just because they’re expecting other teams to draft quarterbacks. So if they take Dalton at 12, that means they think Dalton is a good value at 12.
    Hmmm... don't know about that. If there truly is that much interest in QB's in the first round and a half, there should be some good trade bait available.

We are desperate for a quality QB, but that doesn't mean we should act like a desperate organization and reach for a questionable talent.

With all this hype about QB's going early, the complete opposite will probably happen...everyone just trying to make the other jump in the wrong direction.
    I hope a bunch of teams do jump for QB's. Any QB drafted is going to be drafted well ahead of his value. That leaves better value for us with our picks.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1095011
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095007
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095000
    Quote Originally Posted by "PackSux!" #1094991
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094938
    Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1094922
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094919
    Quote Originally Posted by "jessejames09" #1094915
    So were targeting either Mallett Locker or Gabbert, I would assume, with Newton already gone. I don't know what to believe right now. All 3 could potentially be worthy of that #12 overall spot. All 3 have knocks.

Gabbert - Only 16 TDs last year, and didn't play in a pro style offense. Are teams currently talking him up because they really covet someone else?

Locker - Not from a pro style system, but certainly has the athletic ability, maybe more of a developmental project than the other guys. A lot of buzz both good and bad about this kid. Very interested in where he winds up.

Mallett - How much of the whirlwind that surrounds Mallett is true and how much is being spread by teams that want him to fall to them?

Who has actually gone on record to say Ryan Mallett did something that's a legitimate concern? The kid did 'drugs' in college, stop the presses. All we know for sure is the he can fucking sling the pig skin.

Again interesting to say the least to see where Mallett goes in the draft.
    Hey JJ. How ya been.

I actually don't think this staff is interested in Mallet at all especially when you look back at history and see what kinds of QB's Musgrove has either had under his tutelage as a QB coach or O-coord.
    Pretty good, been busy with school and coop. It's turkey season in Ontario though so I plan to get out, and get a bird, in my week between coop and going back to school. How about you?

But also on more important matters.. What character issues with Mallett? Point me to one instance that leads you to think he's a questionable character. Team-mates and coaches repeatedly stand up for him. Only negative i've heard is 'drugs' and questionable character relating to 'drugs'.

If I'm working for an NFL team and this kid is the most talented QB coming out of the draft. I'm finding out exactly what drugs Mallett did and how often. It's all just word of mouth up until that point.

Without that knowledge we can't really put a fair label on him. Didn't Percy Harvin fail a drug test at the combine?
    I went one weekend (turkey hunting) and had 4 hot gobbling. I think they were jakes who went to the opposite field (about 100 yards through the trees) from the field I set up on.

My issue with Mallet is his feet, not his off the field stuff. Absolutely love his arm.

I watched something on NFLN a few weeks back that layed out what defenses were gearing up to do to stop the spread offenses as they start to spew forth into the league.

During a few of his collegiate games, late, when they needed the QB to make playes, teams got after him and he melted down. At the next level, they bring the heat like that all the time.

In short, a slow footed, pure pocket passer won't last long my friend. Doesn't matter how good his arm is or how well liked he is by his team.
    Tom Brady is a slow footed, pure pocket passer. Brady seemed to have worked out nicely in the NFL. :whistle:
    Don't bother arguing with him. He has his opinion he will defend to the death.

I have to say it's the most rediculous statement I've heard on this board.

The days of a pocket passer are dead? LMAO!!

Runners get hit and hurt WAY more often than passers.
    Boggles the mind.
    I would niether be surprised or disappointed if the Vikes take Mallett.
    Read what I'm saying my friends.

First, I am not saying today, I am saying what defenses are preparing to do for something that is possibly coming.

Brady, if I'm not mistaken did all that stuff long before what I'm anticipating with respect to this defensive shift is going to happen.

Seriously, how in the hell did what Brady did in the past come into a discussion about the future.

Sometimes it isn't that I defend my stance/opinion, its just that it takes a bit of time for some of you to get onboard. Kindof an understanding thing....:P

On a side note, I'm not talking about them being runners at the next level for cripes sake. I'm talking about a kid who can move in and around behind the line/in the pocket. A guy who stands still in the pocket is gonna be a sitting duck.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast