Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings targeting specific QB at 12

ESPN Rumors

UPDATE: Minnesota Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier and vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman held a press conference Tuesday, during which the coach noted that the team is hoping "the guy we want" -- a QB -- will still be on the board at No. 12 overall, according to Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and that if not, a trade is possible.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings targeting specific QB at 12

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1094778
    ESPN Rumors

UPDATE: Minnesota Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier and vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman held a press conference Tuesday, during which the coach noted that the team is hoping "the guy we want" -- a QB -- will still be on the board at No. 12 overall, according to Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, and that if not, a trade is possible.
    Insider stuff ehhhhhh. Thanks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

The Vikings are well aware of the league rules prohibiting public discussion of a player on another team and say they havenít talked with the Washington Redskins about trade for Donovan McNabb. They did talk about their other quarterback options Tuesday, including the draft and their confidence in Joe Webb.
    Vikings: McNabb trade not discussed
    The Title and opening paragraph almost lead me to put this in the Dnabb rumor thread, however, the next paragraph made me put it in this one.

Rick Spielman said there are about six guys the team really wants with the 12th pick.
    So BPA will come down to 6 cats at 12. Judging by the possible discussions with the browns, it would be my assumption that none of them are going to be there so they are pretty high on the board.

I wonder if it isn't the following:

Gabbert (Hope Locker is there in the second)

Dareus/Fairley (Hope a Paea/Austin are there in the second)

Julio Jones (Hope they have a trade partner, perhaps the Rams so they can move down and get Locker earlier than the second or the Browns for next years first and this years second.)

Von Miller (can you imagine him along side EJ and Chad)

Peterson (I still think we don't need CB but him and Griff together sure would make the minor shift to a Press/Zone defense easy)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094802
    The Vikings are well aware of the league rules prohibiting public discussion of a player on another team and say they havenít talked with the Washington Redskins about trade for Donovan McNabb. They did talk about their other quarterback options Tuesday, including the draft and their confidence in Joe Webb.
    The Title and opening paragraph almost lead me to put this in the Dnabb rumor thread, however, the next paragraph made me put it in this one.

Rick Spielman said there are about six guys the team really wants with the 12th pick.
    So BPA will come down to 6 cats at 12. Judging by the possible discussions with the browns, it would be my assumption that none of them are going to be there so they are pretty high on the board.

Julio Jones (Hope they have a trade partner, perhaps the Rams so they can move down and get Locker earlier than the second)

Peterson (I still think we don't need CB but him and Griff together sure would make the minor shift to a Press/Zone defense easy)
    I thought they weren't drafting in the 1st round till next year
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1094803

Julio Jones (Hope they have a trade partner, perhaps the Rams so they can move down and get Locker earlier than the second)

If your referring to the Browns discussion, I think the guy they want needs to be there and that is probably the WR.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094805
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1094803

If your referring to the Browns discussion, I think the guy they want needs to be there and that is probably the WR.
    Then if it plays out right, we need to hold a gun to their heads and get a third also:cheer:
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

In Fowler's opinion, "the guy we want" refers to Jake Locker.

---

As the hours tick down to the start of the 2011 NFL Draft, the picture is getting more clear on certain picks while others remain quite blurry. One team whose priorities remain in a fog is the Vikings.

Chip Scoggins of the Star Tribune attempted to provide some clarity to the situation, listing five prospects who the Vikings could be targeting.

Included on the list are cornerback Prince Amukamara, defensive ends Da'Quan Bowers and Cameron Jordan, offensive tackle Anthony Castonzo and wide receiver Julio Jones.

Conspicuously absent on the list are the passers in this draft class, but that was the direction that ESPN NFC North scribe Kevin Seifert went in our NFL bloggers' mock draft this week, taking Andy Dalton:

- Tim Kavanagh

Kevin Seifert
    It's a reach, but a logical one
    "A team desperate for a quarterback can't wait for one to fall to them in the second round. Without a third-round pick, trade-up options are limited. Sometimes you just have to jump."
    Not sure if we're allowed to quote insider stuff, just lemme know if we aren't. But here's the whole "rumor"
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I was listening to Adam Caplan on the radio the other day, he said we were looking at Nathan Enderle from Idaho in the 4th round and he also said, "dont be surprised if the Vikings go offensive line in the first"

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

A day before the draft, this much is clear about the Vikings' approach:

There are six players the Vikings "would take in a heartbeat" with the 12th overall pick, vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said.

One of those players probably is a quarterback, which makes coach Leslie Frazier wonder whether "the guy we want" will be available at 12.

Three or four teams have inquired about trading into the Vikings' 12th spot, Spielman said, which would allow the Vikings to select later in the first round while recouping a third-round pick lost in the Randy Moss trade.
    Spielman faces his first draft without former coach Brad Childress, whose heavy involvement over the 53-man roster led to speculation over which figure had the final say on draft picks.

Now in collaboration with Frazier, Spielman said the team's draft preparation still unfolds the same way ó with tireless research and hours of conversation at a roundtable with a whitewash board on each side to chart potential picks.

There are six players the Vikings "would take in a heartbeat" with the 12th overall pick, vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said.

One of those players probably is a quarterback, which makes coach Leslie Frazier wonder whether "the guy we want" will be available at 12.

Three or four teams have inquired about trading into the Vikings' 12th spot, Spielman said, which would allow the Vikings to select later in the first round while recouping a third-round pick lost in the Randy Moss trade.
    These talking points were part of Spielman's pre-draft review with team owner Zygi Wilf on Tuesday, a way to show the boss what the past three months of tedious evaluation have produced.

"They just want to listen and see where we're coming from," Spielman said of Wilf and team president Mark Wilf.

Spielman faces his first draft without former coach Brad Childress, whose heavy involvement over the 53-man roster led to speculation over which figure had the final say on draft picks.

Now in collaboration with Frazier, Spielman said the team's draft preparation still unfolds the same way ó with tireless research and hours of conversation at a roundtable with a whitewash board on each side to chart potential picks.

Involved in the decision-making are Spielman, Frazier, the Wilfs, director of college scouting Scott Studwell and director of player personnel George Paton.

The draft board is ready to go by the time assistant coaches give input, and the past two weeks have been a final cram session on each position.

"I weigh what everybody has said and put a grade up there on the board where he goes. ... I
    Frazier said his role in the draft order is to make a simple request ó "Let's talk about this" ó when he feels passionately about a prospect or direction.

It's still uncertain who has final say during a disagreement over a pick, but Frazier makes it clear he collaborates cordially with Spielman.

A six-pack of draft picks

Lots of little nuggets in this one. :P

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Lots of little nuggets in this one. :P
    I know exactly what you're trying to poke with a stick, and you're in luck, that I feel like playing ball today.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094872

Shouldn't Spielman be the one doing the wondering? :lol:

I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to this, but it depends on who's left when we pick, and what pick we'd be getting in return.

Nothing new here. We all know there is speculation, and continues to be speculation

Sounds like Fraizer takes the role of more than just a casual observer. He's very much involved in WHO gets ON the 53 man roster. WHo has the final say? Again, doesn't really shed any light here. But I'm willing ot bet, since Fraizer isn't implementing his own scheme, he does a fair bit of scouting, and will be doing alot of visiting with free agents, and probably even gets a Finance 101 from Rob.

These talking points were part of Spielman's pre-draft review with team owner Zygi Wilf on Tuesday, a way to show the boss what the past three months of tedious evaluation have produced.
    I'd expect that from the guy who's the Vice President of player personell. Fraizer and Rick work on who they look at, Spielman reports their findings.

Involved in the decision-making are Spielman, Frazier, the Wilfs, director of college scouting Scott Studwell and director of player personnel George Paton.
    Hmmm.. I see no mention of ol' robbie boy anywhere

The draft board is ready to go by the time assistant coaches give input, and the past two weeks have been a final cram session on each position.
    Nobody EVER said anything about assistant coaches. Our discussions were 99% about Childress and now Fraizer, and whether or not they had final say in decisions.

"I weigh what everybody has said and put a grade up there on the board where he goes. ... I
    Who said this?

It's still uncertain who has final say during a disagreement over a pick, but Frazier makes it clear he collaborates cordially with Spielman.

Still nothing new. We KNOW the HC and Spielman work together on it. We don't know who has the final say or the most power.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast