Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings target own free agents

http://www.startribune.com/sports/15422331.html

The Vikings are going to take a good look at the free agent market, but coach Brad Childress says the team's priority is to sign their own free agents.

Those free agents include fullback Tony Richardson, running back Mewelde Moore, special teams standout Heath Farwell and linebacker Dontarrious Thomas.

Of that list I think That Richardson and DT are the most important.
    TR is the only real option at FB and DT provides solid back up at LB

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings target own free agents

I think he'll sign all of those guys as were probably gonna pick up most, if not all of our new talent through the draft.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

I don't see Moore coming back.
    DT is 50/50.

We' be dumb to let Farwell go, he's a great Special Teams player.

Richardson is also worth keeping for the short term...

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    DT is 50/50.

Couldn't agree more.

DT will probably get overpaid by somebody and will leave... unfortunately we'd lose our backup at every position.... I actually think he's vastly more important than most of us realize...

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ThorSPL" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    DT is 50/50.

Couldn't agree more.

DT will probably get overpaid by somebody and will leave... unfortunately we'd lose our backup at every position.... I actually think he's vastly more important than most of us realize...
    Two things.......

Believe it or not that is a good sign.
    It means your team is not only starting to get talented starters but your depth behind them is starter material. Those guys will almost always leave in FA if the starter ahead of them is gonna be around for a while.

It is also the reason you will see this staff draft players at positions that will leave some of us scratching our head.
    If they do the right thing they will draft 2 replacements for depth players that are/could leave (I.e DT, S, FB etc) and stay away from the sexy positions (WR, TE, OL) that alot of casual football enthusiasts always make thier draft requests for.

Again, its the nature of the beast for first contract vets acting as backups to test the FA market.
    The better ones will get signed by thier teams, the next group might or might not get contract offers and come back but the ones who want to start and make a big cash payout will go.

Long story short, if a team drafts wisely and replaces these guys with quality rooks then we shouldn't see to much of a drop off in production when the backups are in tne the team will always have bright young talent sitting in the wings when one of the starters leaves via retirement or when his productivity drops off.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "ThorSPL" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    DT is 50/50.

Couldn't agree more.

Two things.......

Believe it or not that is a good sign.
    It means your team is not only starting to get talented starters but your depth behind them is starter material. Those guys will almost always leave in FA if the starter ahead of them is gonna be around for a while.

It is also the reason you will see this staff draft players at positions that will leave some of us scratching our head.
    If they do the right thing they will draft 2 replacements for depth players that are/could leave (I.e DT, S, FB etc) and stay away from the sexy positions (WR, TE, OL) that alot of casual football enthusiasts always make thier draft requests for.

Again, its the nature of the beast for first contract vets acting as backups to test the FA market.
    The better ones will get signed by thier teams, the next group might or might not get contract offers and come back but the ones who want to start and make a big cash payout will go.

Long story short, if a team drafts wisely and replaces these guys with quality rooks then we shouldn't see to much of a drop off in production when the backups are in tne the team will always have bright young talent sitting in the wings when one of the starters leaves via retirement or when his productivity drops off.

Great points Marr. We also have Rufuf Alexander coming back which we have not had a chance to see yet but was projected as a solid back-up for the team. So hopefully he can contribute. Plus there are always guys out their for cheap that can be picked up.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

I'll be sad to see Moore go, but I'm sure he wants to go some place where he'll be used more. I don't blame him.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

MetalMike-LoudVike is offline Hall of Famer

having good solid players seems to be the theme for the vikes they better get moving when the market opens up and take care of business with Richardson, Farwell and Thomas.
    IN THE PITS ON THE RIVER BEDS EVRY VIKING FAN WILL RISE & VAHALLA SHALL REJOICE WITH THE MOST GLORIOUS PRIZE LOMBARDI'S TROPHY

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Keep Moore, trade CT.
    That is not a popular idea, but I think it makes sense.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Keep Moore, trade CT.
    That is not a popular idea, but I think it makes sense.
    Believe it or not, it does make sense but a year early.

As deep as this draft is, they can let Memo go this year, draft a kid for the future.
    Let him learn a year on special teams/reps when available and trade CT next year after they get a bit more wear and tear out of him off of his current contract.

Sounds harsh, but it is a business.
    Thats why you can't get all wrapped around the axel on individual players and focus just on the team as a whole.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast