Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings still have shot at drafting Quinn

[size=13pt]Vikings still have shot at drafting Quinn[/size]

Pioneer Press
    Article Last Updated: 03/23/2007 09:38:29 AM CDT

The Vikings won't be trading for Houston Texans quarterback David Carr, but there's still a chance they could draft Notre Dame's Brady Quinn if he's available with the seventh overall selection. Those are among the subjects coach Brad Childress discussed Thursday during a one-on-one interview with Pioneer Press reporter Don Seeholzer.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings still have shot at drafting Quinn

Interesting read.
    Chilly's not very personable is he?
    I'm sad we aren't going after Carr.
    That does tell me he's either okay with TJ, BB and DH, plans of drafting Quinn, or is just hush about the whole thing.

I do think the Vikings weren't to far off last year from being a playoff team.
    I don't know if that's actual perception or if its my Viking glasses talking.
    Maybe I have the same glasses as TWill.
    Who know's?
    I do know there are a lot of questions on the team right now that need addressing.
    As of now there hasn't been a lot of addressing.
    Carr would address a need.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Looks like the Public Relations team is getting him out and about.

Interesting quote:

Q. But not Carr?

A. Not as it stands right now. We definitely wouldn't be involved in a trade.
    Remember Denny Green speak?
    I read that as, when he is released we will look into him then.
    Right now it is to expensive for a QB who has a release that sucks.

Q. After a year on the job, do you think the people of Minnesota know you? Are you interested in having them know you?

A. I guess I'm not. How well did they know Bud Grant? And I only say that, believe me, I don't equate myself with Bud Grant. But I'm not going to be a used-car salesman or lead a pep rally. Those people don't interact with me. They see the press-conference persona. Do they need to know that there's another side? That's up to you. You're the guy with the pen in your hand, but it's not like I'm going to drum up support because I'm not running for governor. I'm trying to coach a football team.
    Q. Any names you'd be willing to share as far as who's here and who isn't?

A. No. I don't do that kind of thing.
    Come on, hate me.
    I like this guy
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Good wound up Marrdro I like it.

Chilly is not that informative. But we try to decipher the little things he do say anyway. I read it like you did.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Looks like the Public Relations team is getting him out and about.

Interesting quote:

Q. But not Carr?

A. Not as it stands right now. We definitely wouldn't be involved in a trade.
    Remember Denny Green speak?
    I read that as, when he is released we will look into him then.
    Right now it is to expensive for a QB who has a release that sucks.

Q. After a year on the job, do you think the people of Minnesota know you? Are you interested in having them know you?

A. I guess I'm not. How well did they know Bud Grant? And I only say that, believe me, I don't equate myself with Bud Grant. But I'm not going to be a used-car salesman or lead a pep rally. Those people don't interact with me. They see the press-conference persona. Do they need to know that there's another side? That's up to you. You're the guy with the pen in your hand, but it's not like I'm going to drum up support because I'm not running for governor. I'm trying to coach a football team.
    Q. Any names you'd be willing to share as far as who's here and who isn't?

A. No. I don't do that kind of thing.
    Come on, hate me.
    I like this guy
    ;D
    Well, if he is gonna SURPRISE us, he had better effing surprise us in a GOOD way!!!
    So far, he's not surprising us at all with his do-little attitude!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Every time I read interviews with Brad Childress I like him more.
    He has his head on straight.

Q. With all the talk about the possible end of the home sellout streak and games being blacked out, do you feel the need to sign or draft someone who's going to excite the fans?

A. I don't. The winning part takes care of all that. I know how important the Minnesota Vikings are to the people of the state of Minnesota. People need to know that there's not a day that I'm sitting in this job that I'm not trying to get this team better, whether it's the offseason program, evaluating free agents or looking to see what we have available to us in the draft. There's not a minute that I'm not thinking about that.
    There are some folks on this site that buy into the, 'you need a superstar to sell tickets' charade.
    I say it's bullshit too.
    Win and new stars will be created.
    The superstar creates fans of individual players that whine and cry when they leave and stick around long enough afterward to pout about every subsequent move the team makes.

Simply beautiful.
    Nice answer, I like the slam on Redneck McCombs and others.
    He's there to do his job,
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

This looks like Carr is a remote possibility, if the Vikings could get him after he was cut and there were no overzealous competition driving up the offered contract price.

It also looks like Quinn is still a possibility, if available.
    Other possibilities are being looked at, appropriately, but I think they are limited to WR or RB in rd 1 at #7.
    DE seems to be out of the picture at draft slot #7, with EJames returning from IR.

I think the right balance of useful information vs. concealment of plans and opinions was struck by Childress.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah, it looks like Chilly's interest in Carr would
    possibly arise only after he is cut.
    I guess I will be eating some crow, because I never thought that the Texans would outright release him with 0 compensation the year after the paid him $6m to extend his contract.

I mean if the Lions could squeeze something out of the Dolphins (6th rounder) for Harrington last year, Carr has got to be worth something, right? ... right??

Back to the article though, I like Childress.
    He reminds me of Yoda the way he talks in round about circles.
    He never comes out with a straight answer, and I can't tell if that is by design or that is his personality.
    Either way, I like it.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

AHH, Childress showing Quinn love.... I love it

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

cant trade for a free agent..maybe thats what they mean by "the vikings wont be trading for carr"

we wont have a high enough pick to get quinn
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast