Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Vikings signed a Fullback today .....

From that "god awful" tabloid of a site profootball.com (sarcasm off), we got ourselves a fullback today.

Vikings Sign Free Agent Fullback Joey Goodspeed
    The Minnesota Vikings have signed free agent fullback Joey Goodspeed, a three-year NFL veteran who started five games for the St. Louis Rams in 2004. Goodspeed played for the Rams in 2003 and 2004 after spending the 2002 season with San Diego.

Goodspeed was released by the Rams at the start of the 2005 season.

Goodspeed entered the NFL as a rookie free agent with Pittsburgh in 2000. He went to training camp with New Orleans in 2001, before joining the Chargers in 2002.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Pro Highlights:

Solid and smart lead and isolation blocker…good explosion on impact…good blitz pick-up…can lock on well to drive defender away from running back…signed by Rams 10/28/03 after spending preseason with San Diego…played in 2002 for Chargers after spending 2001 training camp with New Orleans…originally signed by Pittsburgh as undrafted free agent in 2000.

2004: Played in all 16 regular season games, starting five, and saw action in both playoff contests…made first regular season offensive statistics, rushing three times for 6 yards with one touchdown, adding 11 receptions for 71 yards, also collecting four special teams tackles…made first career reception, for 13 yards, vs. New Orleans 9/26…scored first career touchdown on first NFL carry, a 2-yard run, at San Francisco 10/3…established career-highs with three receptions for 11 yards and two rushes for 4 yards vs. San Francisco 12/5…made one special teams tackle in NFC Divisional Playoff Game at Atlanta 1/15/05.

2003: Played in eight games he was on the roster for, starting four at fullback…helped RB Marshall Faulk rush for at least 100 yards in five games…made key block on Bears’ all-Pro LB Brian Urlacher at Chicago 11/16, allowing Faulk to rush 52 yards on a fourth-and-1 play in the third quarter…made first reception as Ram in NFC Divisional Playoff Game vs. Carolina 1/10/04, a 9-yard catch to help set up a 20-yard field goal by K Jeff Wilkins in the first quarter.

2002: Played in 12 contests for San Diego, finishing second on Chargers with 12 special teams tackles…racked up season-high five special teams tackles vs. San Francisco 11/7.
    2001: Spent training camp with New Orleans.

2000: Spent final 10 weeks on Steelers’ practice squad after signing with Pittsburgh 10/17…spent training camp with Pittsburgh.
    College Highlights:

Rushed for 399 yards during collegiate career as fullback at Notre Dame…scored two touchdowns for Fighting Irish, both as a freshman – one on 22-yard reception, the other on 33-yard blocked punt return…graduated with management degree.
    Personal Info:

Born Joseph Allen Goodspeed in Berwyn, IL…three-year starter at fullback and linebacker at Oswego (IL) High…also played basketball and competed in shot put and discus…single…resides in St. Louis.

http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/us/sp/v/nfl/players/1/6193.jpg

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings signed a Fullback today .....

Bad A$$ sounds like a good FB..he could have one of those "Wiggins" careers where thier underappreciated...cuz he blocked for Chargers and Rams, to teams with great running backs. Looks like a good pick up.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

vikings6490 is offline Starter

If we were lookin for a FB..I would have rather drafted Matt Bernstein (sp?) He is a bruising blocker.. and he grew up 10 minutes away from where i live
    Thanks MF

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

So does that mean that Jimmy is going to be gone?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

We already know. :wink:

Goodspeed

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

umaguma1979 is offline Asst. Coach

I think Jimmy will be retained. He played pretty good last year and he has become a underappreciated receiver under Wiggin's shadow. I see the Vikings exploiting Jimmy's skills in the next year.

Plus good fullbacks are becoming obsolete.

"singersp" wrote:
    We already know. :wink:

Goodspeed

Bastards ... :lol:

Mines better, has a picture and background info on him .... :wink:

Remember ladies ... WCO and pro set formations. Fullback and two TE's being the base formation the others are developed off of. "random to be named" rb, fb, wiggy on the weak side and Kleiny on the strong. Look out opposing LB's ... it's a match up thing. If you send both out in pass patterns in middle seams and have Goodspeed block to the strong side, either TE will have a huge advantage in most situations.

Looks like BJ ball to me - dip & dunk ala Tampa Bay. Man, if thats the case, we are just a few linebackers, SS, & Olineman away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast