Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    CPonderFan is offline Rookie

Re: Vikings sign free agent OT Charlie Johnson

Johnson is a great pickup, sure would like to find some room on the roster to keep cook around though. His versatility is priceless. He may not be the master of any of the positions along the line, but hes average at all. Thats what you want from a backup!
    None

BleedinPandG is offline Coach

Can never have too many O Linemen IMO...

I'm still a Herrara fan... my understanding is both he and Hutch were dinged up most of last year so I'm not willing to right either of them off. Load didn't really impress at RT so I'd make it an open competition between the new guy, Mac, and Load as to who are starting two Tackles will be... the loser could battle Herrara for RG or we could look at a REALLY heavy 6 linemen set for running. That's a LOT of beef to put on the field, I wonder if any of them can catch
    The true measure of a man is what he'd do knowing he'd never be found out.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

NICE!

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

[quote="Marrdro" #1102404]
    Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1102396
    Looks like we have our starting guard! And he's been Peyton's starting LT for 6 seasons. I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life. I've seen this guy play a lot. Definitely will be a better guard than we was a tackle. This is a great move.
    Thanks for the read/update my friend.

I wonder though, is this guy gonna come in and start or is he a insurance policy if Herrera can't go?

On a side note, anyone see anything about Cook signing his tender?[/quote]

Cook's an unrestricted the 2010 rules don't apply the tender ploy was just a play that was meaningless, he is currently a free agent

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

[quote="vikinggreg" #1102590]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102404
    Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1102396
    Looks like we have our starting guard! And he's been Peyton's starting LT for 6 seasons. I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life. I've seen this guy play a lot. Definitely will be a better guard than we was a tackle. This is a great move.
    Thanks for the read/update my friend.

I wonder though, is this guy gonna come in and start or is he a insurance policy if Herrera can't go?

On a side note, anyone see anything about Cook signing his tender?[/quote]

Cook's an unrestricted the 2010 rules don't apply the tender ploy was just a play that was meaningless, he is currently a free agent
    No problem! He is definitely being brought in here to start. He is a natural guard. Way undersized for a tackle. Although, he will fill in at tackle here when he needs to. He is a much better player than Herrera, and he is quite a bit younger (27). Ryan Cook is probably done in Minnesota (I hope!). The last I heard, he said 8 different teams were interested in him. Unless we could get him on the cheap, there is no way we'd bring him back. And Charlie Johnson likely just got a very big contract from us. He asked for a lot from the Colts, and that's how we got him.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Guys, lets not forget the scheme (which will be more important than the personnel anyway) that our Vikes will employ this year.

FINALLY we are dropped the ridiculous zone blocking scheme and going to use man.

That aside, I love this pick up. When I first saw this, I was hoping that this means we'd trade McKinney (money and slow) for some picks or depth players or both.

But now seeing how Johnson's a versatile player, I wouldn't be against keeping everyone we have on the OLine.

In all honesty, I'm more excited about how our guys will play with the new blocking scheme than I am with McNabb, having a healthy Cook/C.Griff, or even how Harvin will rebound.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I have a totally different view.

McKinnie balooned to 360 lbs. during the season last year. He weighed 360lbs. by the end of the season. The lazy [strike]prick[/strike]couldn't even keep his weight down during the season.

Frazier asked him to come back in shape. He said he was going to lose weight. He said he worked out with the Williams sisters. He didn't work out with IMG, Ponder, or Fitzgerald.

He showed up over weight. And here are his cap numbers.

McKinnie's cap number for this season is $5.4 million and he has a base salary of $4.9 million with a $500,000 roster bonus. His base salaries for the final two seasons of the contract (2012 and 2013) are $4.5 million and $4.0 million with cap numbers of $6.5 million in each year.
    The Vikings tried to get Jermon Bushrod early in free agency but didn't have the bucks.

They signed Charlie Johnson, who has done a fine job in both pass blocking and run blocking for Peyton manning.

He's not coming here to be a guard. We already have that guard in Chris DeGere.

I made a post about 6 Vikings who could be cap casualties awhile back.

Madieu Williams – set to make $5.4 million each year from 2011-2013
    Bernard Berrian – set to make $3.9 million in 2011, $6.9 million in 2012, and $7.9 million in 2013
    Jim Kleinsasser – set to make $3 million in 2011
    Bryant McKinnie –set to make $5.4 million in 2011, including roster bonus, then $4.5 million in 2012 and $4 million in 2014
    Cedric Griffin – set to make $3.35 million in 2011, $4.1 million in 2012, $4.85 in 2013 and $5.45 million in 2014
    Steve Hutchinson – set to make $6.68 million in 2011, $6.95 million in 2012
    We will keep Hutch and Griffin if he is healthy, but Madieu is gone, Berrian took a cut, Kliensasser will have to take a cut since Rudolph can both catch and block, but McKinnie is now dangling by a thread.

With regard to Herrera, He was terrible before he got injured last year, not after.
    He had a season ending acl injury. He did have a lesser injury one week before but it didn't stop him from playing. So playing injured was not an excuse for playing poorly.

Herrera graded out last year as one of the five worst guards in all of football last year. He also is coming off of two down years and is due $2.65 million in 2011. It would be easy to cut bait with him to allow youngsters Chris DeGeare and DeMarcus Love to compete for his position
    Herrera is supposed to get around 2.6 million this year.

Ryan cook will not likely be back. But had he been played at his natural position of center, he could easily compete with Sullivan.

So that's how I see it, wrong or right.

Oh, and Formo, I saw them practicing zone blocking on NFLN training camp film today. It's not gone, but not the only thing we will be doing.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Say hello to our new starting LT..

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Nice pick up, and now makes even more sense

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

I was really looking forward to him starting at guard for us! But he is more than capable of starting at LT for us now. If he can protect Peyton Manning's blind side for 6 years, he can do it for us.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast