Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings sign free agent OT Charlie Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1102448
    Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1102445
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1102443
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102438
    If it came down to Herrera and Cook, I think I'd rather have Cook. Herrera didn't do to well filling in as the C and I don't think he can play LG like Cook can.

Wait a minute. For a second it almost looked like you said that you would keep Cook over Herrera. Naaah, that can't be right because no sane fan who has ever watched a Vikings game could ever come to that conclusion.
    Lol post of the year. Which makes up for your worst post of the year saying you'd rather have Chilly back than start McNabb :laugh:
    I was merely trying to put the amount of dislike for him in the proper perspective.
    I hear ya man. That sums up my hate for Ryan Cook as well. I have hated him since the Daunte trade, and he has been a bum since he put the uniform on. I just couldn't stand to see him wearing it again. I am so ready for him to be off the team. Although, I don't know if I'd wish Chilly back on that :laugh:

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/01/vikings-swipe-peytons-blind-side-protector/

I really like this addition.. Brings our O-line up a little bit from the catastrophe it was a year ago.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

If it came down to Herrera and Cook, I think I'd rather have Cook. Herrera didn't do to well filling in as the C and I don't think he can play LG like Cook can.

Wait a minute. For a second it almost looked like you said that you would keep Cook over Herrera. Naaah, that can't be right because no sane fan who has ever watched a Vikings game could ever come to that conclusion.
    Going on the assumption/discussion point that Herrera isn't the starter anymore (Replaced by Johnson) and we are just keeping him for depth, I would opt for the guy (for depth) that can play more positions than one.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1102436
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102423
    Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1102407
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102404
    Quote Originally Posted by "MulletMullitia" #1102396
    Looks like we have our starting guard! And he's been Peyton's starting LT for 6 seasons. I've lived in Indianapolis my whole life. I've seen this guy play a lot. Definitely will be a better guard than we was a tackle. This is a great move.
    Thanks for the read/update my friend.

I wonder though, is this guy gonna come in and start or is he a insurance policy if Herrera can't go?

On a side note, anyone see anything about Cook signing his tender?
    :sick: Please tell me this isn't true. I'm going to be sick. I thought signing Johnson would mean no more Cook.

And as far as the insurance policy, there is no way. He will be the starter for sure at guard. Peyton Manning called him the #1 priority for the Colts this FA. I'm guessing we are paying him a lot.
    You might be right. On a side note, you don't think that Cook played well last year (at 3 postitions)?

Is he starting caliber? I don't think so, but he sure provided much needed depth last year and didn't do a bad job doing it either.
    Whether he is a starter or a backup I have a fairly simple test that I use to determine whether a player like Cook is a value to us or not.

If he has to come in and play, he will be facing the likes of Nick Fairley, Suh, Raji. Matthews,Peppers, Okoye, Idonije etc just in our division.

Now, whether it is protecting the latest washed up QB the team has brought in or our QB of the possible future are you satisfied enough with his performance to put their careers in his hands?

I am not and believe there are going to be several other OL available that would be more trustworthy than he is.
    That makes sense, but reality is who can they afford that can provide them the best versatility.

By the way, Cook faced several key DLmen last year and didn't look bad doing it. Even Degeare started a bit shacky, but came around against those same defenders.

Nature of the beast when your dealing with backups/not starters. If they were perfect they'd be starting and not backups.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

I absolutely love this. This gives us so many options.

I would be thinking very hard about starting him at LT and moving McKinnie over to RT. I know it would ruffle some feathers but it would upgrade our pass protection.

Loadholt really regressed last season and I would keep an eye on him. If Robison eats him up at the beginning of camp then I wouldn't hesitate making the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102490
    Going on the assumption/discussion point that Herrera isn't the starter anymore (Replaced by Johnson) and we are just keeping him for depth, I would opt for the guy (for depth) that can play more positions than one.
    I don't know if I agree, but this is not the craziest thing that has ever been said on this site. In fact, I don't really think it's insane at all. I think it's a possibility depending on whether the new staff thinks Cook can play any position well enough after getting a look at him in camp.

Glad they got Johnson anyway.

O-line has been terrible in the run game for a couple years now and was terrible in pass protection last year. I feel like the talent is there, though. If they can get the thing turned around then it could be a fun year.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Quote Originally Posted by "Overlord" #1102495
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102490
    I don't know if I agree, but this is not the craziest thing that has ever been said on this site. In fact, I don't really think it's insane at all. I think it's a possibility depending on whether the new staff thinks Cook can play any position well enough after getting a look at him in camp.

Glad they got Johnson anyway.

O-line has been terrible in the run game for a couple years now and was terrible in pass protection last year. I feel like the talent is there, though. If they can get the thing turned around then it could be a fun year.
    My comments are based on a couple of things, however, mostly they are based on the fact that Herrera couldn't fill in at Center were Cook did. Truth of the matter is, I don't think I've ever seen Herrera play LG either but I have seen Cook play there as well. Additionally I haven't seen Herrera play RT either, Cook has.

Again, is he the greatest at any one position? No, but he sure can play well enough at 4 of the 5 OL positions. Mix in that all of the OLmen have played next to him and I don't think its that insane to take him over Herrera.

On a side note, lets not forget how much I love Herrera. I love to watch that cat pull.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102430
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1102411
    Cook is too versatile to let go. Not great at anything, not really even good at anything, but average at a lot of O-line spots.

This Johnson signing is very good due to the injury situations and age situations on our line. Johnson will likely be a starter I think when the season starts, assuming Herrera is not ready to go.

But depth on the OL is NEVER a bad thing.

I imagine the starting line at this point will be McKinnie, Hutch, Sully, Loadholt and Johnson.
    Damn fine post. I've heard on 3 different discussions that Herrera might not be 100%, two of which were by people quoting Anthony.

My guess, this guy is insurance in case Anthony isn't ready to go.
    and a bigger bonus is that he can play LT.. so if a certain lard arse doesn't play up to a decent level this year then he can be replaced
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

delviking is offline Starter

one thing also to remember Cook is younger and cheaper than Herrera

Also who knows how his knee is coming if it doesnt look good (which him starting on the PUP list)

Also might be indicative of bad signs with the johnson signing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1102531
    one thing also to remember Cook is younger and cheaper than Herrera

Also who knows how his knee is coming if it doesnt look good (which him starting on the PUP list)

Also might be indicative of bad signs with the johnson signing.
    A dry dog turd is cheaper than Herrera but IMHO no argument for considering it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast