Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Show Interest in MLB

Vikings Show Interest in MLB

Date: Apr 22, 2006

The Vikings have a lot of potential starting candidates at middle linebacker, but no one that has definitively grabbed the reins on the position, which might be why the team interviewed a draft-eligible middle linebacker at the NFL Combine and showed an interest in him at the East-West Shrine game.

Ohio State’s Anthony Schlegel sees himself as a pure middle linebacker, a player who takes on blocks to free up his teammates on the outside.

That philosophy puts Schlegel as a fifth-round draft value, according to TFY Draft Preview, while his linebacker counterparts A.J. Hawk (early first-round pick) and Bobby Carpenter (early second-round projection) could go higher.

Schlegel, who interviewed informally with the Vikings at the combine, seems to care much more about what kind of defensive system he will play in than which round he selected in.

“You’ve got to look at the whole draft thing as the first step in getting into the NFL. Then you’ve got to go prove yourself in camp. It really doesn’t matter (what round players are drafted), you still have to go there and fit in,” Schlegel said.

Still, Schlegel spent his time at the combine and his pro day trying to prove to NFL scouts and coaches that he has the speed to make plays all over the football field. He referenced several times that he just wanted to find a team and defense that fit his skill set.

“A lot of people think that I’m not a sideline-to-sideline guy and that I’m slow,” he said. “That’s my biggest thing that I’ve got to prove, that I can run anything under a 4.9.”

He did that, running a 4.84 and 4.81 in late February in Indianapolis, where he also met with the Chargers and Saints. The Vikings were also among the teams that attended his pro day last month – probably every NFL team had representatives with all the pro talent Ohio State stocks on its roster.

In 2005, he was a big part of the Buckeyes’ No. 1-ranked rushing defense, finishing second on the team with 82 tackles, seven TFLs and two sacks. He likely would be only a run-down linebacker at the NFL, but few people question his love for contact.

“I’m pretty sure he has killed off enough brain cells it doesn’t matter to him anymore, but when he comes in there he will just rock you with his skull,” OSU center Nick Mangold told Bucnuts Magazine. “It’s horrible. Every day as soon as you hear, ‘We are going to do this,’ and I have Schlegel I know here it comes. Here is the headache for the rest of the day. He really comes in and hits it.”

With Air Force, Schlegel was a team captain and racked up 118 tackles in 2002 and gained all-conference honors. He is also extremely strong. He was a record-breaking weight lifter in high school, setting the dead lift record for the 19-and-under 220- and 240-pound weight division with lifts of 662 and 672 pounds.

Schlegel had the luxury of attending the combine with the entire back seven from Ohio State’s defense to share in the experience, including Hawk and Carpenter.

The combine was an interesting experience for every player, but Schlegel also realizes that NFL franchises have a right to all the information they can gather at the February cattle call, especially when so much money and so many reputations are on the line.

“They are examining you and really trying to pick you apart as a person. They’re making a business decision on you, so they have every right to poke and prod you and put you through the rigors of the whole combine experience,” he said.

Two months later, we’ll finally find out if the Vikings are still interested in the quality middle linebacker who has helped elevate the shrine game.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings Show Interest in MLB

Ray Lewis is having some problems with Baltimore. I say we go after him with everything we got.

sirweeze is offline Starter

I thought this meant Zygi was interested in Major League Baseball, as in the Twins. WHOOPS.

I do not think we need to do any more speculation. We were pretty sure what was going to go down last year, this year the organization is not showing any cards. I would love to see us get a QB but I think we will wait until late second early third to do it.
    We can solve poverty today.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Ok, youse mugs, dis is da skinny on dis palooka. He's rated 11th on da Scouts, Inc. board, an' dat ain't so good, y'know? His rating is almost half dat of D'Qwell Jackson, an' dat's pretty punk ta me. I tink we should take a pass on dis mug, y'know?
    =================================================
    Anthony Schlegel
    ILB | (6'0", 250, 4.86) | OHIO STATE

Scouts Grade: 44

Strengths: His biggest strength is his tackling efficiency. He takes great angles and is a technically sound tackler that will get his head around the ball carrier and wrap up in space. He possesses adequate height, great bulk and is well-built. He has explosive power and is naturally strong. Plays with leverage, is thickly built and has very good lower body strength. He is disciplined, reads his keys well and won't make many mental errors. He's a downhill striker who fills hard and shows explosive initial pop at the POA. Does a very good job of taking on and disengaging from iso-blocks. Matches up very well in the phone booth. Shows good instincts on the blitz. Has been an effective pass rusher when turned loose. Is tough and relentless. A leader and high-character person with good intelligence and the mental capacity to pick schemes up quickly. Also has a great makeup for special teams in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Possesses marginal speed and below average athletic ability. He is stiff in the hips and loses too much in transition. Has decent range vs. the run in college and will be nothing more than a tackle-to-tackle run plugger in the NFL. He is too much of a straight-line player. Will have trouble adjusting in space vs. quicker and shiftier backs. He lacks ideal COD skills. Has limited range in zone coverage. Will be a liability vs. most NFL RB's man-to-man. Does not show good ball skills in coverage and has never been a big playmaker in that facet. Durability is a minor concern after offseason knee surgery prior to senior year (2005).

Overall: Schlegel began his collegiate career at Air Force. He started six of the 10 games that he played as a true freshman in 2001. He then finished with 116 tackles as a captain and fulltime starter during his sophomore season in 2002, earning first-team All-MWC honors. He transferred to Ohio State in 2003 and sat out that season due to NCAA transfer rules. He started eight of the 12 games he played in for the Buckeyes in 2004 and finished with 84 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks. Schlegel started all 12 games as a senior in 2005 and finished second on the team with 82 tackles, including seven TFL and two sacks. Schlegel is a big, powerful, tough and aggressive middle linebacker prospect. He is an intelligent, disciplined and productive tackle-to-tackle run-plugger with outstanding tackling skills. However, Schlegel's lack of speed and athleticism really puts a low ceiling on his potential. He gets away with it at the collegiate level but he will have far less range versus the run in the NFL and he will be a liability in coverage. While he could possibly compete for a two-down role in the NFL, it's far more likely that Schlegel levels off as a backup ILB and special teams' contributor. Look for Schlegel to come off the 2006 draft board in the final two rounds.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

"Muggsy" wrote:
    Ok, youse mugs, dis is da skinny on dis palooka. He's rated 11th on da Scouts, Inc. board, an' dat ain't so good, y'know? His rating is almost half dat of D'Qwell Jackson, an' dat's pretty punk ta me. I tink we should take a pass on dis mug, y'know?
    =================================================
    Anthony Schlegel
    ILB | (6'0", 250, 4.86) | OHIO STATE

Scouts Grade: 44

Strengths: His biggest strength is his tackling efficiency. He takes great angles and is a technically sound tackler that will get his head around the ball carrier and wrap up in space. He possesses adequate height, great bulk and is well-built. He has explosive power and is naturally strong. Plays with leverage, is thickly built and has very good lower body strength. He is disciplined, reads his keys well and won't make many mental errors. He's a downhill striker who fills hard and shows explosive initial pop at the POA. Does a very good job of taking on and disengaging from iso-blocks. Matches up very well in the phone booth. Shows good instincts on the blitz. Has been an effective pass rusher when turned loose. Is tough and relentless. A leader and high-character person with good intelligence and the mental capacity to pick schemes up quickly. Also has a great makeup for special teams in the NFL.

Weaknesses: Possesses marginal speed and below average athletic ability. He is stiff in the hips and loses too much in transition. Has decent range vs. the run in college and will be nothing more than a tackle-to-tackle run plugger in the NFL. He is too much of a straight-line player. Will have trouble adjusting in space vs. quicker and shiftier backs. He lacks ideal COD skills. Has limited range in zone coverage. Will be a liability vs. most NFL RB's man-to-man. Does not show good ball skills in coverage and has never been a big playmaker in that facet. Durability is a minor concern after offseason knee surgery prior to senior year (2005).

Overall: Schlegel began his collegiate career at Air Force. He started six of the 10 games that he played as a true freshman in 2001. He then finished with 116 tackles as a captain and fulltime starter during his sophomore season in 2002, earning first-team All-MWC honors. He transferred to Ohio State in 2003 and sat out that season due to NCAA transfer rules. He started eight of the 12 games he played in for the Buckeyes in 2004 and finished with 84 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 3.5 sacks. Schlegel started all 12 games as a senior in 2005 and finished second on the team with 82 tackles, including seven TFL and two sacks. Schlegel is a big, powerful, tough and aggressive middle linebacker prospect. He is an intelligent, disciplined and productive tackle-to-tackle run-plugger with outstanding tackling skills. However, Schlegel's lack of speed and athleticism really puts a low ceiling on his potential. He gets away with it at the collegiate level but he will have far less range versus the run in the NFL and he will be a liability in coverage. While he could possibly compete for a two-down role in the NFL, it's far more likely that Schlegel levels off as a backup ILB and special teams' contributor. Look for Schlegel to come off the 2006 draft board in the final two rounds.

So what you are tring to say is that the Vikings should stay away from him.. :grin:

"sirweeze" wrote:
    I thought this meant Zygi was interested in Major League Baseball, as in the Twins. WHOOPS.

Yeah, I guess now that I look at it, it looks like it could be the Vikings have a interest in a MLB team.... Come on people we are talking football here :lol:

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

I guess no one has faith in E.J. Henderson anymore?
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

EJ is our OLB DHOF

Im hoping to get Abdul Hodge in the 2nd

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

Who knows Lofa Tatupu was rated about the same round last year when he was drafted in round two maybe this guy has the same potential.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast