Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings set to go on a shopping spree

[size=18px]Vikings set to go on a shopping spree[/size]

By Eric Krupka ; 03/07/06

Minnesota Vikings Owner Zygi Wilf has vowed to build a Super Bowl contending team and bring a championship to Minnesota. In this, his first offseason as the owner, he has plenty of cap space to begin turning that promise into a reality.

With the exception of last year, the organization has rarely delved into the free agent market to sign premier players. With new ownership it will no longer be that way. The Vikings find themselves $24 million under the salary cap and are expected to build upon last off season's additions of FS Darren Sharper, DT Pat Williams, and CB Fred Smoot to the defense.

Front office guru Rob Brzezinski has done a tremendous job over the years evaluating talent, signing players and building up plenty of cap space for future moves. The time for future moves seems to be now as Wilf has demonstrated his desire to bring in some marquee players.

There are rumors circulating around the possibility of adding a running back. The Vikings have been rumored to be interested in Edgerrin James and Maurice Morris. James is the bigger name of the two and more costly. He would be a tremendous pickup but the money he will demand could be spent better elsewhere.

The most logical choice for the Vikings outside of drafting a running back would be to sign Morris. He was the backup in Seattle to MVP Shaun Alexander. Morris is very high on the Vikings offseason wish list and could flourish if given the opportunity to start.

Another big need that the Vikings have is at linebacker. The long list of possibilities includes LaVar Arrington, Julian Peterson, Rob Morris, Rocky Calmus, Will Witherspoon, and Akin Ayodele among others. Peterson is an intriguing option as he could be had for a decent price. He has been slowed by injuries the past couple years, but a change in scenery could be all he needs to regain his Pro Bowl form. Witherspoon will likely command too much money as he is the top weak side linebacker available. There are rumblings around the league that the Vikings will sign former Chargers linebacker Ben Leber. If they sign Leber, it will unlikely be the only move they make at the linebacker position. It's even plausible that Sam Cowart could be brought back.

Since day one of the Brad Childress era, the goal has been to improve the offensive line. Number one on the Vikings wish list is New Orleans Saints G/C LeCharles Bentley. Bentley would be an enormous upgrade over the revolving door at the guard position last year which saw Chris Liwienski, Adam Goldberg, Anthony Herrera, and Marcus Johnson all start.

Starting SS Corey Chavous has been told by the team that he can test the free agent market. Chavous has said he would welcome a return to the team. In his four seasons as the starter in Minnesota Chavous has played well racking up 254 tackles, 14 interceptions, and making the pro bowl in 2003. If Chavous goes elsewhere the Vikings could give second year man Dustin Fox a chance or look to Lance Schulters, Tank Williams and Ifeanyi Ohalete as possible pickups in free agency.

With all of the possibilities that are opening up in terms of wheeling and dealing, it should be another exciting off season for the Vikings and their fans as anything is possible with the amount of money they have available to spend.

-Eric Krupka can be reached at [email protected]

Vikings set to go on a shopping spree

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings set to go on a shopping spree

exciting!

Go vikes!!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Spend away Zygi!

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Now thats the kink of read I like reading...

do you smell an Edge Cooking?....

I think that would be a great pick-up and not over doing it at all...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

idk...i havent seen wat morris could do. we should go after deangalo williams
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

I don't understand why we have all this intrest in RB's Maurice Morris and Chester Taylor. They are Ok RB's but thats about it. If Morris was that good why would Seattle let him go and pay an older player (ALEXANDER) all that money. We dont need anymor backup RB's.

Turboe is offline Hall of Famer

I am surprised that I havent heard many people talk about Adam Vinatieri. How much will he likley cost? We could go from one of the worst kicking games to one of the best in two years with he and Kluwe handling the duties. Plus Adam is from Yankton, SD orginally, so he would likely welcome a homecoming I would think.

Maybe he is a closet Vikings fan from way back and we can pick him up because he wants to come back here?????

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

You know... for the first time I'm super excited about FA... last year it was... what will Red do. This year I'm a lot more optimistic when they finally LET the FA start!

maxinator11 is offline Rookie

I agree, we could also go for Edgerin James as well, he could be a huge improvement to the Running game that was abandoned by Robert Smith a wile bak

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Very very exciting. Alot of nice big names out there that will could pick-up. I can't wait to see who we finally DO pick-up and where are interests finally fall.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast