Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re:Vikings select USC DE Everson Griffen

Marrdro wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    veryone should already be aware of his impact on the defense.

3. As for depth, we have Brian Robison who is one of the best backups in the league.
    Only a Vikings fan could say that and mean it.

Good backup? Sure.

Best in the league? Nope
    Ha ha! I might have exaggerated a little, but I didn't say that he was the best in the league. I seriously think Brian Robison is one of the best pass rushing backups in the league. Robinson reminds me of Jared Allen in some ways, but Robison actually has more finesse moves than Jared Allen. For instance, I've never seen Jared Allen do a spin move, but I've seen Robison put on some great spin moves on the offensive linemen. It also looks like Robison is a little faster around the edge.
    Robinson and Ray don't get caught upfield rushing the passer on running plays as much as JA does either.

Rewatched the Panthers/Vikes game last night on NFLN. JA was manhandled in that one in the 4th quarter, thats for sure.
    That is part of what makes Ray good at that end.
    People call for Robison, but he gets too aggresive in his upfield rushing as well.
    Unless the linebacker takes responsibility for the run at that end, and can shed his block, that's a real liability.

Several times last year Allen rushed upfield and Leber got sealed inside.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Zeus wrote:
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/92595549.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

=Z=
    Thanks for the read my friend. I know most aren't as happy as I am with this draft, but it sure seems like Egriff and the rest of them are nice fits.

Atleast so far.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Unless the linebacker takes responsibility for the run at that end, and can shed his block, that's a real liability.

What a great point.

By the way, it happened to Chad alot last year as well my friend.

I know I harp on it alot, but I thought our DL as well as our LB'rs sucked at making plays last year which resulted in our S's getting caught out of position as well.

In the end, it all starts up front and rolls downhill. The whole mountain needs a little bit of work IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

What a great point.

I know I harp on it alot, but I thought our DL as well as our LB'rs sucked at making plays last year which resulted in our S's getting caught out of position as well.

In the end, it all starts up front and rolls downhill. The whole mountain needs a little bit of work IMHO.
    It exposed our safeties as poor tacklers.
    And yes it happened to Chad as well, but he wasn't put in that position as much as Ben.
    If you can pin that linebacker inside and the end rushes upfield, you are going to have some decent runs off tackle.
    That is our greatest running vulnerability.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

What a great point.

And yes it happened to Chad as well, but he wasn't put in that position as much as Ben.
    If you can pin that linebacker inside and the end rushes upfield, you are going to have some decent runs off tackle.
    Hard to disagree with that, so I won't, but I would like to say that what was really exposed was that our S's were often times caught out of position, which lead to them not being in the right place/right angle to make the tackle.

As you said, when a cat in front of them gets pinched and can't hold the outside, and you are blitzing a S from the other side, the guy on the cloud has to shift his zone a bit.

When that happens, (JA gets taken upfield, LB gets pinched, S blitzing on the other side) everyone looks dumb, starting with the coach who called the play wrong, the MLB who didn't make the proper read/adjustment, the DE who got caught rushing the passer on a running play, the LB who got pinched and the S who was left out on a island playing pass instead of run.

The flip side to that is, we can just keep blaming the S for missing a tackle.

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

What a great point.

Hard to disagree with that, so I won't, but I would like to say that what was really exposed was that our S's were often times caught out of position, which lead to them not being in the right place/right angle to make the tackle.

As you said, when a cat in front of them gets pinched and can't hold the outside, and you are blitzing a S from the other side, the guy on the cloud has to shift his zone a bit.

When that happens, (JA gets taken upfield, LB gets pinched, S blitzing on the other side) everyone looks dumb, starting with the coach who called the play wrong, the MLB who didn't make the proper read/adjustment, the DE who got caught rushing the passer on a running play, the LB who got pinched and the S who was left out on a island playing pass instead of run.

The flip side to that is, we can just keep blaming the S for missing a tackle.
    That is the type of post that makes PP.O great.
    Great observation of one area of defensive vulnerability.

What should Leslie be doing to counter this?

Usually rooks like Griffen need to learn the discipline to not overun the play.I will be watching for that in the preseason.
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    I'm not sure my friend.

Logic would dictate that during thier film sessions, the staff (and players) would recognize what players are used in certain sets in certain down and distances, so that they wouldn't get caught rushing on a running play.

I am not so naive as to not know that they will get every play right, however, it sure seems like we get caught in those situations alot, especially last year.

I kindof think it gets into something that is even a bit more disheartening.....

I think we suck at disguising what we are going to do, which allows the opposing team to adjust/audible out of thier initial play, thereby catching us with our shorts down.

One doesn't have to watch real close to see our LB'rs getting to the line, only to have to back out cause they showed blitz to early my friend.

Back to your question.......We need a new Dcoord if you ask me. Way to much talent on that side of the ball for stupid errors like that.

As I said last week, caught the re-air of the Ravens game, well I also caught the re-air of the Steelers game this weekend. Watching that defense at times made me worried that we don't have the staff to fix those issues and it will continue to keep getting worse.

Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    I think we suck at disguising what we are going to do, which allows the opposing team to adjust/audible out of thier initial play, thereby catching us with our shorts down.
    Unlike you, I like the job Leslie is doing in general.

But some things could be improved.
    And one of those things is disguising the defensive alignment, just like you said.

EJ Henderson was good at disguising, not so much anyone else.
    They probably aren't given the latitude in this scheme, and that falls squarely on Leslie.
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

And one of those things is disguising the defensive alignment, just like you said.

They probably aren't given the latitude in this scheme, and that falls squarely on Leslie.
    I lump TJ and Leslie in the same catagory........One day I'm supporting them, the next, I'm ready to throw them under the bus, repeatedly....

Today, I throwing Leslie under the bus and supporting TJ with every ounce of my being. :cheer:

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:

This my friends is why I am excited about Griffen, the 3-4 base defense is the reason why teams like BAL,PIT and ARI can disguise their coverage so well. The entire 3-4 defense is designed around disguising the coverage and which LB is blitzing. You don't have that liberty with a 4-3 because of the personnel you have in the game. With Griffen added to the mix and Robison probably capable of emulating a 3-4 OLB as well the Vikings should be able to do some more interesting things with there blitz/coverage packages.

The traditional 4-3 and especially the Tampa 2 defense just don't lend themselves to the kind of deception you can get out of the 3-4.
    None

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast