Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Vikings select USC DE Everson Griffen

gagarr wrote:
    It would be silly to mess with any starter on a team that came a hairs width from the SB last year.

Don't mess with what's been working. Especially with Edwards. This will be Edwards contract year, he's going to be working his butt off. Even more if he thinks he might be losing reps to Griffen if he doesn't.
    Ahem, last year was Rays contract year. In case you haven't noticed, he's pissed he didn't get his deal done so I can assume he has already got that little seed in his mind that he IS being messed with.

My guess, he will hold this against the Vikes and won't resign with us next year. Truth of the matter is, because he is only playing on a 1 year contract, I bet he doesn't give 100% and plays to protect himself so he doesn't get hurt.

If that is what is going on, then I can understand why they have brought in two LDE's this offseason.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Massive value in the 4th. Jayme Mitchell has been around a while and has not impressed me. I would imagine it is time for him to go. Great pickup. A need that was hidden to most.
    Problem here is back to numbers. My assumption was that the EX PUKER they brought in would take Mitchells roster spot.

Who else goes? Surely not JA or Everson. Perhaps they are thinking Edwards/+ next year pick as part of a package deal to another team for something/someone we want?
    Unless they think Robison is ready, I don't see Edwards leaving. He had a lot of production. To let that go would be silly unless they have a replacement ready to go.
    Makes sense not to let him go. Just like it makes sense that they should have already signed him.

For the life of me I can't figure Spielman out this year.

As to Rob, you lost me a bit. What do you mean by "ready"? Surely you don't mean as a everydown LDE. The cat is a perfect fit as a rotational guy that comes out on passing plays only. Trying to put him at LDE would be kindof silly as he would wear down pretty quick as we saw when he did go in for Ray a couple times over the past two years.
    Yes it makes sense not to let Ray go. However they have offered him a pretty darm good offer at a fair market value. RAY HASN'T SIGNED THE CONTRACT THE VIKINGS OFFERED HIM. I am not sure why people are trying to blame the Vikings for Ray Edwards' actions (or lack there of).

HEY wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    veryone should already be aware of his impact on the defense.

3. As for depth, we have Brian Robison who is one of the best backups in the league.
    Only a Vikings fan could say that and mean it.

Good backup? Sure.

Best in the league? Nope
    Ha ha! I might have exaggerated a little, but I didn't say that he was the best in the league. I seriously think Brian Robison is one of the best pass rushing backups in the league. Robinson reminds me of Jared Allen in some ways, but Robison actually has more finesse moves than Jared Allen. For instance, I've never seen Jared Allen do a spin move, but I've seen Robison put on some great spin moves on the offensive linemen. It also looks like Robison is a little faster around the edge.
    Robinson and Ray don't get caught upfield rushing the passer on running plays as much as JA does either.

Rewatched the Panthers/Vikes game last night on NFLN. JA was manhandled in that one in the 4th quarter, thats for sure.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

ejmat wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Massive value in the 4th. Jayme Mitchell has been around a while and has not impressed me. I would imagine it is time for him to go. Great pickup. A need that was hidden to most.
    Problem here is back to numbers. My assumption was that the EX PUKER they brought in would take Mitchells roster spot.

Who else goes? Surely not JA or Everson. Perhaps they are thinking Edwards/+ next year pick as part of a package deal to another team for something/someone we want?
    Unless they think Robison is ready, I don't see Edwards leaving. He had a lot of production. To let that go would be silly unless they have a replacement ready to go.
    Makes sense not to let him go. Just like it makes sense that they should have already signed him.

As to Rob, you lost me a bit. What do you mean by "ready"? Surely you don't mean as a everydown LDE. The cat is a perfect fit as a rotational guy that comes out on passing plays only. Trying to put him at LDE would be kindof silly as he would wear down pretty quick as we saw when he did go in for Ray a couple times over the past two years.
    Yes it makes sense not to let Ray go. However they have offered him a pretty darm good offer at a fair market value. RAY HASN'T SIGNED THE CONTRACT THE VIKINGS OFFERED HIM. I am not sure why people are trying to blame the Vikings for Ray Edwards' actions (or lack there of).
    Here we go again.

It isn't hard, the cat worked hard through his first contract, did everything the staff asked him. When it comes to getting his big, multi year contract, the current CAP structure goes out the window and all the cats coming off thier first year contract are rewarded with a 1 year contract at about 1/4 to 1/3 of what they expected to get.

No one is blaming the Vikings in this, other than to question why they didn't go ahead and take care of Ray with a long term deal.

My guess, because they Vikes didn't give him that contract and all the gaurantees that go with it, Ray will hold that against the Vikes and take his talents elsewhere next year.

12purplepride28 wrote:
    Kiper gave this pick a C or C- something like that, what an idiot. How can this pick be anything other than an A? Maybe a lower grade if it was first or even early second, but in the FOURTH round?! Thats amazing value and with this kids potential I have no idea how this can be a bad pick, definitely BPA or at least close to it (with Bruce Campbell being available)
    Kiper is a joke. Unless teams pick the cats he projects, he says the team had a bad draft.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

Proves my point even more. Ray is going nowhere.

marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

Atleast for one year.

My guess, he will hold this against the Vikes and will take his skills elsewhere. I think I am pretty close on that one as the staff is gearing up for him to not only leave, but probably not really produce this year as he plays to protect himself.

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Atleast for one year.

My guess, he will hold this against the Vikes and will take his skills elsewhere. I think I am pretty close on that one as the staff is gearing up for him to not only leave, but probably not really produce this year as he plays to protect himself.
    If the Vikes want Edwards to stay, they'll be able to re-sign him. They get first crack at the guy through the end of the year, and whether an extension comes in October or February, Ray will take it if it's a good number for him. I haven't heard Ray say anything particularly nasty about the team, and even if he has a little bitterness now, money heals all wounds.

Whether they want Edwards to stay could be largely dependent on this Griffen guy. How good is he? Based on the stuff I've seen, he looks like a solid player that can hold his spot, get off blocks, and get a pass rush using multiple techniques. I really like how he doesn't get wrapped up by blockers. But how will he look in the pros and will his head be in the game?

If Edwards looks the same as he has the past few years and Griffen looks just (or almost) as good, the team will probably avoid paying the large contract Edwards will demand and let him walk. Griffen is going to make something like $600,000/year. If he can play, that is great value for the team.

If Edwards is a monster next year with 10+ sacks and just an all-around great year, then expect him to stay at a high price. Or if Edwards is okay and Griffen doesn't look that good, look for Edwards to stay as well.

I don't really get where the 'probably not really produce this year as he plays to protect himself' thing comes from. The expectation is exactly the opposite for players in a contract year. I mean, if it can motivate Albert Haynesworth, it can motivate anybody (except maybe Jamarcus Russell?). Maybe I could see a running back taking it out of bounds instead of fighting for a few more, but what is a defensive lineman supposed to do? Play hard and keep your head up, that's how you avoid getting hurt. Taking it easy as guys are diving at your knees is a recipe for disaster in terms of both injuries and your next contract.

I guess we'll see, but I can't imagine Edwards playing soft to protect himself.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Overlord wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Atleast for one year.

If the Vikes want Edwards to stay, they'll be able to re-sign him. They get first crack at the guy through the end of the year, and whether an extension comes in October or February, Ray will take it if it's a good number for him. I haven't heard Ray say anything particularly nasty about the team, and even if he has a little bitterness now, money heals all wounds.

Whether they want Edwards to stay could be largely dependent on this Griffen guy. How good is he? Based on the stuff I've seen, he looks like a solid player that can hold his spot, get off blocks, and get a pass rush using multiple techniques. I really like how he doesn't get wrapped up by blockers. But how will he look in the pros and will his head be in the game?

If Edwards looks the same as he has the past few years and Griffen looks just (or almost) as good, the team will probably avoid paying the large contract Edwards will demand and let him walk. Griffen is going to make something like $600,000/year. If he can play, that is great value for the team.

If Edwards is a monster next year with 10+ sacks and just an all-around great year, then expect him to stay at a high price. Or if Edwards is okay and Griffen doesn't look that good, look for Edwards to stay as well.

I don't really get where the 'probably not really produce this year as he plays to protect himself' thing comes from. The expectation is exactly the opposite for players in a contract year. I mean, if it can motivate Albert Haynesworth, it can motivate anybody (except maybe Jamarcus Russell?). Maybe I could see a running back taking it out of bounds instead of fighting for a few more, but what is a defensive lineman supposed to do? Play hard and keep your head up, that's how you avoid getting hurt. Taking it easy as guys are diving at your knees is a recipe for disaster in terms of both injuries and your next contract.

I guess we'll see, but I can't imagine Edwards playing soft to protect himself.
    Good stuff. Only comment is in relation to your question.....

I don't really get where the 'probably not really produce this year as he plays to protect himself' thing comes from.
    The worst case scenario for a player is to be on a single year contract (different from a last year of a multi year deal) were they have no gauranteed money up front. If they get injured, they are out.

Most players want to get to the point were they get that big signing bonus (Gauranteed) money, in case that happens. I think guys like Ray, who have a proven body of work, will be willing to rest on the that body of work going into that next contract year/negotiation.

Long story short, I don't think players that are in Rays situation will be going out with reckless abandon, but rather will approach this season as nothing more than a year they need to get through, safely, so that they can get to a market were they can get that multi year deal (and bonus).

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/92595549.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU

Everson Griffen: 'I'm happy with the situation I'm in'

The Vikings' fourth-round draft choice, a standout defensive end at Southern Cal, dropped in the draft. In a talk Friday, he sounded like he'd like to shed old labels and habits.

By MICHAEL RAND, Star Tribune
    Last update: May 1, 2010 - 9:20 PM

Everson Griffen developed a reputation at USC for sometimes lacking intensity and loving the college life a little too much. But after slipping to the fourth round in the NFL draft, where the Vikings nabbed him, the defensive end sounded like he'd like to shed old labels and habits. He answered questions about that Friday at the Vikings rookie minicamp from the Star Tribune's Michael Rand.

Q Honestly, what's it like to be a standout football player at USC -- what's the treatment you guys get on campus?

A You know, you just get love. It's fun playing at USC. But my career is over there now. I'm a Viking, you know, and I love this organization. Today was a good starting point. It's just like your freshman year, getting your feet wet. You have to calm down and take your time and get a good starting point.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast