Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings re-sign Ryan Cook

The guy played Center all through college and then got thrown to the wolves at RT as a rookie. It wasn't a fit and he didn't succeed there but our problems lately have been with our interior OL just as much as our tackles.

Herrera isn't healed, Hutch has been old and dinged, and I'm starting to believe that a big part of the reason our OGs are hurting is that our Center can't cut the mustard at this level and they are trying to make up for it. Fusco is a maybe someday project, but Cook gives us not only experience but SIZE at C where we've been getting pushed around for two years.

And, on gameday, you only dress so many OL, so the backups have to be versatile cuz you never know who might get hurt.

I guess its easy for fans to want a "Dream Team" every year, but that just isn't even close to reality. I saw a quote recently that stated HALF OF THE NFL made Minimum Salary last season...you can't have a whole team of Petersons, Harvins, and Hutchinsons, you've got to have a few Bookers, Camarillos, and Cooks too. Thats the way the salary cap works.

...on another note...IF De'Geare is getting pushed around by Ballard couldn't we see some positive from the D-Line's point of view...?

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1103127
    The guy played Center all through college and then got thrown to the wolves at RT as a rookie. It wasn't a fit and he didn't succeed there but our problems lately have been with our interior OL just as much as our tackles.

Herrera isn't healed, Hutch has been old and dinged, and I'm starting to believe that a big part of the reason our OGs are hurting is that our Center can't cut the mustard at this level and they are trying to make up for it. Fusco is a maybe someday project, but Cook gives us not only experience but SIZE at C where we've been getting pushed around for two years.

And, on gameday, you only dress so many OL, so the backups have to be versatile cuz you never know who might get hurt.

I guess its easy for fans to want a "Dream Team" every year, but that just isn't even close to reality. I saw a quote recently that stated HALF OF THE NFL made Minimum Salary last season...you can't have a whole team of Petersons, Harvins, and Hutchinsons, you've got to have a few Bookers, Camarillos, and Cooks too. Thats the way the salary cap works.

...on another note...IF De'Geare is getting pushed around by Ballard couldn't we see some positive from the D-Line's point of view...?

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Brought your "A" game today I see. As always, good stuff especially the comment on Ballard.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1103115
    He must mean Hicks of old, because Hicks of now is pretty damn bad.

I get worked up because all of the Ryan Cook hate is just blind hate. He simply is not a bad interior offensive lineman. There is no evidence that he is bad at center or guard because whenever he has filled in there he has been pretty solid.

It is true that in his first three seasons when Chilly kept throwing him out there at tackle he got his ass beat and got his ass beat often (but so do a lot of young tackles) and it was made clear that with his size and skills he had little business being on the outside.

I find it funny that Loadholt gets a free pass because he worked out with Fitz? That makes no sense. And DeGeare (who is reportedly getting crushed in practice ... and that is from multiple reports) should be the starter from Day 1?

Cook CLEARLY is not a starting lineman in this league. He CLEARLY should not play tackle except in dire circumstances. Nobody is arguing that. But arguing that he does not provide solid experience and depth for the interior line is simply hate because there is nothing on film or in the stats (I love o-lineman "stats" by the way) that indicates that he is not serviceable on the inside of the line.
    At first I wasn't a very big Hicks fan. Truth is, his presence on the team was my first real knock on the Chiller. Eventually I came to realize how important he was when it came to depth on the OL.

As to the rest of your post. You as well, seem to have brought your "A" game today.

Truth of the matter is, we have had alot of good posts today. Maybe its because we finally have something of significance to talk about.

Not sure about all of you but I can't wait to see this team on the field for its first preseason game.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103134

Not sure about all of you but I can't wait to see this team on the field week 1
    fyp

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103135

fyp
    Why wait till week 1?

First preseason game will show alot. Will it be the full playbook? Nope, but it will have the basics that the rest of the scheme will be grounded on.

Additionally, we will get to see some of the young talent on the field under game conditions. That in and of itself can be pretty telling as well especially when you look at if from a depth / future standpoint.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103142

fyp
    Why wait till week 1?

First preseason game will show alot. Will it be the full playbook? Nope, but it will have the basics that the rest of the scheme will be grounded on.

Additionally, we will get to see some of the young talent on the field under game conditions. That in and of itself can be pretty telling as well especially when you look at if from a depth / future standpoint.
    I wanna see preseason, but week 1 is when the real action starts.

I like preseason, because I want to see what Ponder can do, and I want to see Webb play again. Dude is fun to watch.

However, preseason doesn't have the same atmosphere as reg. season. Winning is not necessarily a primary concern. Hell, your excuses last year about Gerhart and Lloyd lead me to believe the coaches collude before the game about what plays they'll run and how to counter them. (actually, I don't believe that) Where's the fun in that?

I just want to see real football, but the real action starts week 1.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

[quote="Marrdro" #1103134]
    Truth of the matter is, we have had alot of good posts today. Maybe its because we finally have something of significance to talk about.

Not sure about all of you but I can't wait to see this team on the field for its first preseason game.
    Can I get a "AMEN BROTHER!?!"

And a "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!?!"

:cheer: :laugh: :silly: :side: :P

SKOL VIKINGS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103143

fyp
    Why wait till week 1?

I like preseason, because I want to see what Ponder can do, and I want to see Webb play again. Dude is fun to watch.

However, preseason doesn't have the same atmosphere as reg. season. Winning is not necessarily a primary concern. Hell, your excuses last year about Gerhart and Lloyd lead me to believe the coaches collude before the game about what plays they'll run and how to counter them. (actually, I don't believe that) Where's the fun in that?

Two things.....

1. The words I used were scrimmages.....You confused that discussion with preseason. I just played along with you cause I was bored.

2. Show me in my last post were I said anything about winning. I said we will see the basics that the scheme will be grounded in.

Another way to think about it is that we will see what the first building blocks will look like as they build the team to week 1.

Not sure about you but I find that process very interesting and enlightening. Is it the same as going nuts at full bore for a win? No, but it is still interesting when taken in the proper context.

[quote="mountainviking" #1103144]

Can I get a "AMEN BROTHER!?!"

And a "THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!?!"

:cheer: :laugh: :silly: :side: :P

SKOL VIKINGS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't ya just love this game?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103145
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1103143

fyp
    Why wait till week 1?

Two things.....

1. The words I used were scrimmages.....You confused that discussion with preseason. I just played along with you cause I was bored.
    uh... no

Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro
    Your words, not mine

2. Show me in my last post were I said anything about winning. I said we will see the basics that the scheme will be grounded in.
    and I was explaining why I want to see week 1 more.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast