HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:Vikings re-sign Cook, Evans, Frampton

tarkenton10 wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    I get labled as a big Cook lover
    :laugh:

... but seriously, I agree with you and your thoughts on Ryan Cook. Honestly, I think he is a good right tackle when he is not making penalties. I am actually impressed by his pass blocking skills when considering he never played tackle before.

Like Marrdro said, it's not Cook's fault that he was drafted in the second round, and it's not Cook's fault that he was thrown to the wolfs.

Describing Ryan Cook as "the worst player on our roster" is a MAJOR understatement.
    Not splitting hairs but if you mean that Cook is better than what he described I believe you mean that is an overstatement. An understatement means he is even worse than described, I am not being a smartass, I am trying to understand what you meant. I think you meant Cook is better than "the worst player ever" am I correct?
    LOL! You're right. I meant to say that Cook is much better than the worst player on the roster.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Don't let us scare you away MulletMullitia. Give us some feedback on what you think about what we think about your opinion.....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Cook still blows. A 2nd round backup. Gross.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Don't let us scare you away MulletMullitia. Give us some feedback on what you think about what we think about your opinion.....
    Not at all, just really swamped with classes right now. College blows. But here my analysis on Cook:

Been with the team since 2007. Drafted in the 2nd round (basically traded for Daunte Culpepper).

In 3 years (1 year starting) he has:

Caused 16 penalties.
    Allowed 9 sacks, 17 QB hits, and 38 QB pressures.

All stats from ProFootballFocus.com

Let me rephrase my previous statement. He isn't the worst player on the roster but he is definitely the worst player that gets actual playing time. He is a terrible player and an even worse liability to the team when he does see the field. I'm sure he probably gives it his all, and it's not exactly his fault that he isn't Steve Hutchinson, but he just doesn't cut it. Not for an NFL lineman let alone a 2nd round draft pick. I didn't say we should go out and grab a pro-bowler either. I just don't believe in resigning players to new contracts that don't deserve it. There is nothing that Ryan Cook has shown to me on the field or on paper that proves he was worth the second contract.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

MulletMullitia wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Not at all, just really swamped with classes right now. College blows. But here my analysis on Cook:

Been with the team since 2007. Drafted in the 2nd round (basically traded for Daunte Culpepper).

In 3 years (1 year starting) he has:

Caused 16 penalties.
    Allowed 9 sacks, 17 QB hits, and 38 QB pressures.

All stats from ProFootballFocus.com

Let me rephrase my previous statement. He isn't the worst player on the roster but he is definitely the worst player that gets actual playing time. He is a terrible player and an even worse liability to the team when he does see the field. I'm sure he probably gives it his all, and it's not exactly his fault that he isn't Steve Hutchinson, but he just doesn't cut it. Not for an NFL lineman let alone a 2nd round draft pick. I didn't say we should go out and grab a pro-bowler either. I just don't believe in resigning players to new contracts that don't deserve it. There is nothing that Ryan Cook has shown to me on the field or on paper that proves he was worth the second contract.
    Birk gave up 10 QB pressures alone last year and he is considered pretty good by most. Average that out over a 3 year span and one could surmise that a young kid, thrown to the wolves, at a position he never played, 8 additional QBP's aren't that bad.

Joe Thomas lead all T's with 7 penalties last year. Average that out over 3 years and that is more than Cook. He is considered a pretty damn good LT.

Seriously, I agree, it was a great day in Marrdro world when they went and got someone better to play on that side, but it isn't like he stunk it up like most believe.

Truth of the matter is, most people who hack on line play (defensive or offensive) don't have a clue with respect to what they are saying. Hell, I would even go so far as to bet that 3/4 of them don't even watch other teams play other than the Vikes and thier current opponent.

I think his biggest problem, as you said, is that he will never be anything better than a solid backup with starting experience. Right now, if someone went down, I would rather have him in there than some rook drafted in the 4th or 5th round.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123