Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Viking's RB situation.

My take on RB's and line...whatever is easier to fix the problem.

If that means going out and dropping a ton of cash on 1 guy like Edge...then do it.

If getting a few good FA linemen and ensuring that our guys will have a good chance of being healthy...then do this.

I do not want to see Alexander here. I think he is more a product of Jones/Hutch than he is a good RB. I would take James though.

However, what I would like to see? I would like us to really start getting these linemen to play power football and not committ such stupid mistakes (**cough, cough Goldberg and Johnson**). I really think that if we could get a good lineman via Free Agency we would be set and Moore could be our guy. There is something I see in this kid; he is a multi-faceted RB that is shifty and elusive. Health is a concern of mine as with all of you when it comes to Moore.

After that, we are just lacking our short yardage back; I am sure we can buy one of those to.

All in all, I would not be disappointed with going either of these routes.

scarface is offline Training Camp

O-smith looked pretty good sure throw in all the drug references that you want but he looked pretty good when he was in so did m.m when he had a o-line. Bottom line is if you dont have the guys up front opening the holes your not going to get many yrds. Getting s.a or edge will never happen.

We need help bigtime at o-line and lb and saftey, rb is not high on our list now getting a good fb to block and help open holes may be high on the list

Del Rio Guest

We have one of the best blocking FB's in the game. Kliensasser, only Tice moved him into a TE where his production has become very limited.

I guarantee regardless of what we as fans are saying....RB is a major concern on the list of needs this offseason for the team.

Putting faith in a guy who did good one year, is facing a lifetime ban from the NFL next time he screws up, and has been sitting out of football for a year is way more risky IMO then giving quality cash for a prooven quality product.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

What would you think about drafting a RB then Del?

You've convinced me that we need a solid back, but I'm still not so sure about spending all that money, when we could spend it on linebackers and a safety. If we drafted a RB in say, the first or second round and signed them to a rookie deal, would you say that would be a step in the right direction?

Or would you rather spend the money to get Edge or Shaun?

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    What would you think about drafting a RB then Del?

You've convinced me that we need a solid back, but I'm still not so sure about spending all that money, when we could spend it on linebackers and a safety. If we drafted a RB in say, the first or second round and signed them to a rookie deal, would you say that would be a step in the right direction?

Or would you rather spend the money to get Edge or Shaun?
    We have no idea if a drafted RB would pan out. The other two guys are a sure thing.

On the other hand 1st round offensive lineman are almost a lock in being able to step into the roll and succeed.

I am not opposed to drafting a RB though. I just think that it needs to be a concern. In the past the running game has suffered IMO not because of the line but because of the lack of importance it played in our offense. Who needs to run, you have Randy Moss and DC. We need to get that back.

I would go as far as to say the line suffered from the lack of run. Our coaches would abandon it right off the bat and panic. Pass blocking may seem easier then run blocking but it isn't you are not the agressor in the ordeal. Especially if you are the Tackle going against a quick end.

Anyway as far as my own personal opinion I would draft a lineman and try to get Edge or Alexander, just try. That's all I'm saying. If the right guy is there at RB in the draft that they feel confident in I would be all for drafting a guy instead.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Drafting a RB is a risk, but we would save lots of cap room that we could spend on other areas of weakness.

Plus the running back we draft would be able to play much longer before they start to tail off. That's really my big concern is that we'd be paying these guys a lot of money, and they're right at the points in their careers where they will start to tail off...

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    Drafting a RB is a risk, but we would save lots of cap room that we could spend on other areas of weakness.

Plus the running back we draft would be able to play much longer before they start to tail off. That's really my big concern is that we'd be paying these guys a lot of money, and they're right at the points in their careers where they will start to tail off...
    Your probably right man. I don't get into the budget side of things like some of you guys. I know you have a good grasp on what we have cash wise and stuff.

All I want is to see a good run game here. :grin:

jhirchak1 is offline Rookie

I agree with keeping Mewelde, but we ought to use Bennett or Smith as trade bait for these other positions. We could possibly get lucky with trading Bennett, since he has shown long runs and speed in the past. But we know he's not what we're looking for.

Prophet Guest

In an article called 'Vikings RB production' posted at the beginning of the season, the play-callers on the Vikings weren't even giving the RBs a chance to perform. It appeared that the RB production was primarily due to the lack of touches during a game.

If you look at the average touches (below) that an RB received on the Vikings (20 per game) versus the league-leading rushing team, the Seahawks (29 per game) the number of touches the RBs had appears to be part of the issue. The magic number for getting over 100 yds rushing in the NFL for a decent back is often thought to be 20+ touches. The Vikings had seven 20+ touch games and four of those games resulted in over 100 yards rushing. The Seahawks had fifteen 20+ touch games resulting in 12 100+ yard rushing performances.

Is the answer in the Seahawks' better run production based on an average of nine more carries by the RBs per game, a better offensive line, better RBs, better coaching, or something else? I go with a better RB and a coach that uses the strengths of his personnel in the game plan.

I am supportive of picking up a better than average RB, the Vikings have plenty of average RBs, and giving the RB more carries in the play calling. Sure, I'm all for building up the O-line too. If the Vikings choose not to grab an every down back then they better solidify the line and run the ball more often than they have in the past with the average RBs.

The bottom-line in my book is get a decent every down RB and give him the damn ball. This may not happen if the Vikings are going to go heavy into the WCO scheme of things, but I would like to see that happen.

I have confidence that Childress is putting together a servicable coaching staff that will utilize the talents of the players on the team, whoever they end up being.

Vikings RB production
    Week 1: 12 carries
    Week 2: 12 carries
    Week 3: 29 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 4: 15 carries
    Week 5: BYE
    Week 6: 18 carries
    Week 7: 19 carries
    Week 8: 12 carries
    Week 9: 34 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 10: 20 carries
    Week 11: 32 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 12: 27 carries
    Week 13: 27 carries
    Week 14: 25 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 15: 16 carries
    Week 16: 13 carries
    Week 17: 15 carries

Seahawks RB production
    Week 1: 16 carries
    Week 2: 30 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 3: 35 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 4: 21 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 5: 26 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 6: 36 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 7: 21 carries
    Week 8: BYE
    Week 9: 29 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 10: 35 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 11: 28 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 12: 32 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 13: 36 carries
    Week 14: 37 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 15: 27 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 16: 30 carries (over 100 yds rushing)
    Week 17: 29 carries

Del Rio Guest

No doubt Prophet.

That's why I say it really isn't the line, or the RB it was the coaching. Our team has essentially been a west coast offense for the last 4 or so years.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast