Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Viking's RB situation.

I agree with Del. I like Moore, but he takes a beating all the time and can never stay health enough to be in our lineup every game. I am glad that Bennett is (probably leaving) he is another one that has not been able to stay healthy and produce.. Fason atleast deserves a chance to show what he has. As a fan of the Gators, I was able to watch him alot and he is an outstanding RB.

We need to first and foremost upgrade our O-Line. Second we need to bring in a back that has proven that he can carry the load for an entire season. We haven't had that luxury since Robert Smith retired, we need to get a great running game back if we are to be successful again on offense.

Gift is offline Coordinator

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    We need to first and foremost upgrade our O-Line. Second we need to bring in a back that has proven that he can carry the load for an entire season. We haven't had that luxury since Robert Smith retired, we need to get a great running game back if we are to be successful again on offense.
    I don't disagree with anything you have said but I question if Robert Smith was all that good, or did he just thrive because we had such a powerful line back then?
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

scarface is offline Training Camp

Del Rio
    Troll Enforcer

Favorite Player : Jack Del Rio

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Viking's RB situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This conversation happened last year as well.

The funny thing is Alexander and James were on the market and people said the exact same thing. Memo can get it done, we have Bennett.......

Truth be told Alexander breaks NFL records and James is a guaranteed 1000+ yard rusher.

Ofcourse james was guaranteed 1000 yrds when you have a good qb like manning. And for s.a. he is running behind one of the best if not THE best o-line in the game.

Were good at rbs we need o-line and lbs

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I definitely agree that given the chance we should try and get Shaun or Edge. But we should NOT break the bank and leave ourselves in a bad situation just to get them, because they certainly are replacable. The way I see it, if we build up the O-line, Memo could definitely get 1000 yds and be a receiving threat. I don't think its really fair to judge him on this year alone, because for the better part of the year, the O-line was dreadful, and he was splitting time with Bennett. But if we build the O-line and get an all-star RB we would be even more dangerous.

I think there is a significant upgrade from Memo to Edge/Shaun, but I'm just weary about how much that will cost us, and what we will actually get out of it.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

"scarface" wrote:
    Del Rio
    Troll Enforcer

Favorite Player : Jack Del Rio

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Viking's RB situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This conversation happened last year as well.

The funny thing is Alexander and James were on the market and people said the exact same thing. Memo can get it done, we have Bennett.......

Truth be told Alexander breaks NFL records and James is a guaranteed 1000+ yard rusher.

Ofcourse james was guaranteed 1000 yrds when you have a good qb like manning. And for s.a. he is running behind one of the best if not THE best o-line in the game.

Were good at rbs we need o-line and lbs
    WTF did you do?

We have an O-line especially if Birk returns. We need a RB.

I'm not taking advice from a guy that tried to convince everyone Mike Bennett holds the Vikings single season rushing yards record. Especially when the advice is on RB's.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Gift" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    What we need is an RB that can MOVE THE CHAINS...that means that he will CONSISTENTLY get you 3-4 yards on most EVERY carry...screw the long runs...we need an RB that will keep the DL and LB corps honest...which will open up our passing game. I DO agree that we need a very good OL...but the RBs that we have aren't the solution.
    If your saying a "power back" I agree 100%. We really had nothing when it came to short, tough yardage.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm not arguing with anyone or attacking their opinions but I swear to god you all were saying the exact gol 'darnit thing last year and it didn't work out to well. :grin:
    I wasn't here then so I missed it, but the o-line was terrible this year. Couldnt get a consitant running or passing game all year. I don't hold our backs accountable for those failings.
    I am saying a feature back...one that can do it ALL...Shaun and Edge fit that bill...Droughens and Jordan also fit that bill. We NEED to have a durable, reliable STUD RB that can get the tough yardage...Onterrio can get that type of yardage, but he isn't reliable enough...MeMo is a good third down option, but he hasn't yet proven that he can do it over a whole season (but I am willing to give him a chance to show it if he can stay healthy)...Fason has potential, but he isn't proven.

We need someone NOW...someone who can be that 1000-yard back...someone who can command respect every time he lines up in the backfield...someone who will open up the passing game for our QB and WRs...someone that we don't have yet...at least the current incumbents haven't shown us that they do over the long haul.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

"Gift" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    What we need is an RB that can MOVE THE CHAINS...that means that he will CONSISTENTLY get you 3-4 yards on most EVERY carry...screw the long runs...we need an RB that will keep the DL and LB corps honest...which will open up our passing game. I DO agree that we need a very good OL...but the RBs that we have aren't the solution.
    If your saying a "power back" I agree 100%. We really had nothing when it came to short, tough yardage.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm not arguing with anyone or attacking their opinions but I swear to god you all were saying the exact gol 'darnit thing last year and it didn't work out to well. :grin:
    I wasn't here then so I missed it, but the o-line was terrible this year. Couldnt get a consitant running or passing game all year. I don't hold our backs accountable for those failings.
    Yeah the O-line took a major blow with the loss of Birk.

I guess it depends on if you think we ran a running back by commitee because Tice was a Moron or because we have 2-3 runningbacks that show no consistency.

The running game is not dead. It is a guaranteed advantage, teams who get the running game going win. The ammount of runs in a game reflect possitively to the victor, and the two teams you saw in the SB both have powerful run games, most of the teams in the postseason do and always have.

It's worth the investment IMO.

Gift is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Gift" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I am saying a feature back...one that can do it ALL...Shaun and Edge fit that bill...Droughens and Jordan also fit that bill. We NEED to have a durable, reliable STUD RB that can get the tough yardage...Onterrio can get that type of yardage, but he isn't reliable enough...MeMo is a good third down option, but he hasn't yet proven that he can do it over a whole season (but I am willing to give him a chance to show it if he can stay healthy)...Fason has potential, but he isn't proven.

We need someone NOW...someone who can be that 1000-yard back...someone who can command respect every time he lines up in the backfield...someone who will open up the passing game for our QB and WRs...someone that we don't have yet...at least the current incumbents haven't shown us that they do over the long haul.
    I understand and you may very well be right. It just seems to me that we could get the same results for alot less with a speed back for long yard situations and a power back for short yardage.
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    The running game is not dead. It is a guaranteed advantage, teams who get the running game going win. The ammount of runs in a game reflect possitively to the victor, and the two teams you saw in the SB both have powerful run games, most of the teams in the postseason do and always have.

It's worth the investment IMO.
    It just seems that these guys want such silly paychecks that the RB by commitee thing looks better & better.

bottom line, if Del & Cajun are arguing with me, im probably wrong :wink:
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I think its clear that Shaun and Edge are both much better RB's than anyone we have. And so they would more than likely to much better than Moore/Fason etc.

The real question is how much is this 200-300 yard difference worth? I'm not sure what Moore's salary is, but I would be willing to guess its probably only about a third or a quarter of what these guys would command.

Do you think that RB is such a weak spot that we need to spend this much money here rather than at another weak spot like linebacker or safety???

I personally don't think so, but I can understand people that disagree with me...

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    I think its clear that Shaun and Edge are both much better RB's than anyone we have. And so they would more than likely to much better than Moore/Fason etc.

The real question is how much is this 200-300 yard difference worth? I'm not sure what Moore's salary is, but I would be willing to guess its probably only about a third or a quarter of what these guys would command.

Do you think that RB is such a weak spot that we need to spend this much money here rather than at another weak spot like linebacker or safety???

I personally don't think so, but I can understand people that disagree with me...
    I do.

And your not talking 300 yards your talking 1000 more then he had. Your talking about a guy who is planned for because the defense knows he can burn them, making it easier for your entire team. A guy who can carry the burden.

I don't think your wrong and you all make extreemly valid points.

Running back by committe doesn't work. In fact I think it hurts your offense more then helps it.

If Moore can get it done then I'm all for it. It just needs to get done.

If Childress brings in the WCO it won't matter anyway. I guess in a way that is why I wouldn't mind spending that much cash on a guy, because if you do, you have to use him.

If we can throw away money on Smoot when there were far cheaper people who play just as well if not better out there, I think I can feel ok about throwing some cash at a guaranteed 10+ TD 1200YD+ Rb.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast