Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Gift is offline Coordinator

Viking's RB situation.

There is alot of talk going on about picking up S. Alexander, E. James and the like. Am I alone in thinking that the age of the great running back is over? As I see it the only thing that you need is a powerful O-line & any average RB will get the job done. Why bother spending a ton of cash on a big name when the RB will be completly dependent on the line? Why not just dump a ton of money into our oline and then just pick up/draft a speed back and be done with it? Denver has proven that a solid line can make any back a great one.

So my question to you is why go after a big name, big money RB :?:
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Viking's RB situation.

I really agree with you here. Two years ago, Mewelde Moore rushed for something like a 5.5 ypr behind a solid O-line. What's to say he can't do it again?

With a good offence (with a good o-coordinator) and a solid offensive line, I think that Moore or Fason or another mid-round draft pick could have an excellent year.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Del Rio Guest

Denver is alone in that aspect. Their entire offense is built around the run. The coach preaches the run, the cordinators design for the run. It's about attitude and planning.

I don't think Childress is that kind of guy. So you need a guy who can make due with what he has. If edge can bring you 1200 rushing yards, a couple huge gains, and you really don't have to change your gameplan, then that is a win win situation.

scarface is offline Training Camp

I concur. We dont need one of the 2 that you spoke of we need an upgrade at o-line and lbs.Even sa and edge couldt do crap with the line we had last yr.Ibelive we are pretty solid at rb.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

I have to agree too. Mewelde Moore has got to be one of the best west coast backs out there. If we can keep Bennett we have the speed back, and I still like Onterrio Smith, if we can bring him back. We need to beef up the OL though to make it all work.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

What we need is an RB that can MOVE THE CHAINS...that means that he will CONSISTENTLY get you 3-4 yards on most EVERY carry...screw the long runs...we need an RB that will keep the DL and LB corps honest...which will open up our passing game. I DO agree that we need a very good OL...but the RBs that we have aren't the solution. Maybe we don't need to splurge for Shaun or Edge...but we at least need someone like Rueben Droughns (1232 yds last season, 1240 the year before with Denver) or LaMont Jordan (1025 yards last season)...who went to Cleveland and Oakland, respectively and made their running games at least respectable.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

This conversation happened last year as well.

The funny thing is Alexander and James were on the market and people said the exact same thing. Memo can get it done, we have Bennett.......

Truth be told Alexander breaks NFL records and James is a guaranteed 1000+ yard rusher.

You can argue the only really solid guy on the Colts whole line is Saturday I don't buy that whole Offensive line deal.

I think if either guy is available you have to at least attempt to snag one one of them. Our run game needs improvement, upgrade the line Via the draft, and help Font get into shape.....

I'm not arguing with anyone or attacking their opinions but I swear to god you all were saying the exact damn thing last year and it didn't work out to well. :grin:

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Exactly Del. Last year we could have had Alexander on this team for a second round draft pick....kinda sucks now dosnt it. RB's like James and Alexander are one word "money" and I'm not talking bout how much they cost...im talking they'll rack up over a 1,000 yards EVERY season (baring injury). Guys like MeMo are good back ups, that can produce if your number 1 is out(See Chester Taylor, Mike Pittman, etc)

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Gift is offline Coordinator

"cajunvike" wrote:
    What we need is an RB that can MOVE THE CHAINS...that means that he will CONSISTENTLY get you 3-4 yards on most EVERY carry...screw the long runs...we need an RB that will keep the DL and LB corps honest...which will open up our passing game. I DO agree that we need a very good OL...but the RBs that we have aren't the solution.
    If your saying a "power back" I agree 100%. We really had nothing when it came to short, tough yardage.

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I'm not arguing with anyone or attacking their opinions but I swear to god you all were saying the exact gol 'darnit thing last year and it didn't work out to well. :grin:
    I wasn't here then so I missed it, but the o-line was terrible this year. Couldnt get a consitant running or passing game all year. I don't hold our backs accountable for those failings.
    http://www.purplepride.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6169&dateline=1318052  159

MrGopher16 is offline Hall of Famer

Yeah that may be true and I agree with you at least somewhat del. However Tice never really gave moore all that much of a chance to be a consistent rusher for us at all this year. Sure he was injured but i don't buy that this was the only thing keeping him out. He's toughed it out through minor bumps and bruises before, so I believe it had something to do with Tice keeping him out. Either way I like Mewelde a lot and if nothing else i'd at least like to see him be a second stringer for us. He'd be a dang good backup!
    ;-)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast