Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings' Priority In The 2011 Draft

Many threads about the Minnesota Vikings and the 2011 NFL Draft already exists on this board, but I'm still interested to find out what position this community believe is the Vikings' biggest need in this year's draft.

If you want... here's my opinion on the Vikings need next to the draft value:

The Quarterbacks

The first position to come to my mind (and probably 90 % of everyone else's) is of course the quarterback. Brett Favre finally hang up his cleats, Tarvaris finally made it clear that he isn't "The Guy", and the current starter is a man who was drafted as a wide receiver in the 6th round of last year's draft.

Let's be honest! The quarterback situation looks worse than ever on a team that spent nearly all of the last decade known as a team with no quarterback.

Still... at the same time I have this good feeling about Joe Webb. Sure, Webb's production in his first year was far from good, but he displayed a certain swagger that is rare to find in a rookie QB. Something that I haven't seen from other projects like Tarvaris Jackson. However, I didn't have the feeling that the coaches played to Webb's strengths. Add a great deal of good coaching and make Webb comfortable in the offense, and I think he could develop into a starting QB.

The question: Is Joe Webb worth the risk or should we draft a new quarterback?

Going with Joe Webb is like putting all the eggs in one basket. I would like to see us bring in another veteran in case Webb can't handle the job. Fortunately, there are many good options this year. Quarterbacks like Carson Palmer and Kevin Kolb wants out, McNabb is most likely not staying in Washington, and Denver wants to trade Kyle Orton.

Value in the draft: I don't know if any of the quarterbacks are worth the 12th pick at the moment, but as of right now I don't feel very confident to spend such an high first round pick on any of the prospects.

So... this means that I'm rolling with Joe Webb??? No, I'm not ill, just extremely dreamy.

The Offensive Line

The base of a good offense is the linemen in my opinion. Problem is, creating a good offensive line is hard work. It's not like drafting a great player like Adrian Peterson and BOOM you have a great running back. The offensive line has so many puzzle pieces because you need five guys and they all need to be good at two things: pass blocking and run blocking.

The consensus feeling is that the overall run blocking has been poor. I find that odd considering we have the biggest tackle tandem in the league and two guards who are known for their run blocking skills, one of them being a multiple Pro Bowler.

The question: Why are a team with such great potential seemingly so bad at run blocking?

Perhaps the answer simply lies in the scheme or the coaching. If that's the case then spending a high first round pick on another O-lineman would be of no use. On another issue, I'm getting tired of McKinnie's character and I wouldn't mind trading him away. He should have some good value.

Value in the draft: This draft has a couple of intriguing prospects at the tackle position. As of right now, I think both Anthony Costanzo and Tyron Smith are deserving a top 15 pick. Also, Nate Solder has a ton of upside, but is too much of a project to warrant a high first round pick.

The Defensive Line

Rewind the time back a year and I would say that the defensive line is our biggest strength. Jared Allen was racking up sacks, Ray Edwards were racking up quarterback pressures, and the Williamses were ruling the middle. We led the NFL in sacks and were the most dominant run blockers for years.

The question: What happened to the Vikings defensive line?

Perhaps they all had a down year and moral was down because of consecutive poor offensive play. Also, Pat reportedly played hurt and is getting very old for NFL standards. Assuming we resign Ray Edwards and Brian Robison, the only real immediately need is a replacement for Pat, but we might have that replacement on the depth chart already.

Value in the draft: This draft has a couple of both outside and inside defensive linemen with great potentials. Nick Fairley, Marcell Dareus, Da'Quan Bowers, and Robert Quinn are all worth a high first round pick. Robert Quinn might be the biggest risk, but he's also the most intriguing prospect.

The Defensive Backs

The secondary has always been one of our biggest weakness, but considering the awful situation last year, the pass defense actually did a decent job. Plus, we saw the emerging of a new starter in safety Husain Abdullah who seemed to be the first one in Minnesota to master the Tampa-2 system in a long time.

Unfortunately, the secondary is still filled with question marks. Can Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield stay healthy? If not, will Chris Cook, Marcus Sherels, and Asher Allen grow into solid starters in 2011? Also, who can step up and take the safety spot next to Abdullah? (considering the Vikes will most likely resign him)

Value in the draft: This draft has some very promising defensive backs with good size with the most impressive being Patrick Peterson. I would easily take him with the 12th pick, but I seriously doubt that will happen. However, Prince Amukamara should also warrant a top 15 pick and Jimmy Smith is a very interesting prospect who fits the Tampa-2, but might be too much of a risk for an early first round pick. Another defensive back worth a look is Brandon Harris who lacks size, but make up for it in football instincts. Ras-I Dowling is also very intriguing, but he looks a lot like Cris Cook (size, first step speed, injury prone, fits our scheme) who still hasn't broke through yet.

Worth Mentioning

I want to through in three more positions that are not big needs, but I think worth having in the back of your mind or look for in the late rounds. E.J. Henderson is a injury prone and Ben Leber is a free agent past his prime so a linebacker might not be a bad way to go if the value is there. For instance, I would love to draft Von Miller should he by a wild chance slip to the 12th pick.

Another position to look for is kickers. I can't remember the last time we used a draft pick on a kicker, but it would definitely help the special teams to have kicker with a strong leg who can eventually replace Longwell. Receiver is also another position that could be drafted in the late rounds. Especially if Sidney Rice decides to leave (crossing my fingers).

dfosterf is offline Coach

Re: Vikings' Priority In The 2011 Draft

Trade back if possible, imo.

I've already said it elsewhere in here, so I'm not gonna rehash that.

If I pretend that you do, here are my legitimate 1st rounders...

Offensive Line

These are the "best shots" at a LT -

Anthony Castanzo, Tyron Smith, Nate Solder, Derek Sherrod, Cabe Carimi.

3 more offensive linemen in the first round worth consideration.

Stefen Wisniewski as a center, not a guard. Danny Watkins as a guard, Mike Pouncey as a guard, but That is PUSHING his bloodlines.

That's it on the o-line in the 1st rd.

__________________________________________________ ___

DE's (Complicated, about to wade through them by explaining PUKER DE's in the 3-4, but going back to Queenie DE's in their 4-3)

Cameron Jordan He is a 4-3 DE also

JJ Watt He is about 5 bigboard higher as a 3-4 DE vs. a 4-3 DE still, well within 1st range as a 4-3 DE

Nick Fairley He's about a 15 as a 3-4 DE, and about a 2 bigboard as a 4-3 DT

Marcell Dareus Also about a 15 bb as a 3-4 DE, but about a 6 bb as a 4-3 DE

Muhammed Wilkerson - about a 26 bb as both a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DT

The great Da'quan Bowers is about a 38 as a 3-4 DE, yet a 2 or 3 bb as a 4-3 DE

Adrian Clayborn would be a good DE for a 4-3, about a 17 bb - no interest 3-4 puker-land

Kind of the same with Corey Liuget as a DT in your 4-3, around 21 BB

Stephen Paea would be about a 31 BB in your 4-3

__________________________________________________ __

OLB's in a 3-4 for me, mixed bag for you, but all in the 1st for you:

Von Miller-- He's a 7 BB for both of us 4-3 OLB also.

(note- repeats on BB often have to do with differing schemes or ties--BB= big board)

Robert Quinn -- 9 for 3-4 as an OLB 9 for you as a 4-3 DE

Aldon Smith-- 13 for me as an OLB 18 for you as 4-3 DE

Ryan Kerrigan-- He's a 17 for both of us as an OLB

Sorry, but believe it or not, I'm simplyfying things, lol

(Seriously, who else breaks down what these "D-guys" actually "are" in the two main schemes?

WR's

A.J Green (3) and Julio Jones (8)

Free Safety's

Patrick Peterson (1) Quinton Carter (22)

Cornerbacks

Prince Amukamara (sp?) 10 Patrick Peterson (11) Jimmy Smith (19) Brandon Harris (28)

The shit I have zero interest in but you need to know about, imo--maybe a repeat in here, lol

Blaine Gabbert QB

Cam Newton QB

Jake Locker QB

Akeem Ayers as a mike LB 26 BB

Martzez Wilson as a mike LB 23 BB

__________________________________________________ _

That's it. Print it. Your first round choices, while trying to "pick out" and separate the "3-4" guys in the various mocks,

imo

...as far as kicker goes-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123569

The only question is WHEN to pull the trigger.

_________
    This isn't a mock. It isn't a big-board. It's a Dfosterf opinion that you Quennies could live with every name on this post as a 1st, especially with a trade back, again, imo

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "dfosterf" #1090194
    ...as far as kicker goes-

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1123569

The only question is WHEN to pull the trigger.
    Wow! I really like this guy you linked to, Alex Henery from the Huskers. We should get him!!!!

Alex Henery is one of the best kickers in NCAA history, and he also punts

Henery’s amazing kicking numbers makes him one of the all-times greats. His 256 of 265 career kicks (PATs and field goals) gives him a 96.6% accuracy rate. The previous NCAA FBS career record was 94.9%.

5 things to know about Alex Henery

This guy seems to be the kind of player who only comes around once a decade. He even got his own highlight reel on YouTube for crying out loud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfCed...layer_embedded

Check out the punt at 0:46. Henery could take over for both Longwell and Cluwe. It saves us a roster spot.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Nice breakdown Hey, dfosterf. I think the team is built around a dominant O-line, so I hope we bolster our aging bunch with a big new tackle or gaurd. We can move back a little and still get a starter.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

We have two of the best punters and kickers in the League and i wouldnt wanna draft an player for a need that we dont have.

I know Longwell is a free agent, but he should be resigned quickly.

I think the #1 priority should be a QB, but we don't wanna reach and waste value.. Trade down and get the third rounder back, if you have a good grade on one of the QB's, you take him in that spot in the first round.. 15-18ish.

I think we have our starters, maybe except for center at the offensive line and good depth could be found via free agency..

#2 is DL for me, with Starcaps - Pat Williams not coming back and Ray Edwards likely to test the market

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

In watching the combine the thing that stands out to me is the size of the guys at QB and WR. They are all getting huge and to me the next thing that will be a premium commodity is to have defenses trend towards taller corner backs and safeties to help defend against them. It's looking like the trend will be taller, more physical corners that can disrupt a route and make up for it if they take a wrong step. Guys like Winny at 5'9 are going to be a thing of the past and I would look very closely at whether we can find a guy like that to bring in and start to develop.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I've been hoping the Vikings draft Alex Henery ever since he came to Nebraska. I'm a huge husker fan and I would love to see some red and white in purple and yellow. Check out this video from a Colorado game a few years back... So exciting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXkPwWXLNY
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1090209
    I've been hoping the Vikings draft Alex Henery ever since he came to Nebraska. I'm a huge husker fan and I would love to see some red and white in purple and yellow. Check out this video from a Colorado game a few years back... So exciting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aXkPwWXLNY
    As I said, the only problem with Henery is trying to figure out when in the hell to use a pick to draft him. I will not be surprised at all to see him get picked shockingly early. One of the compensatory picks at the end of the FOURTH round wouldn't surprise me at all. The kid is money, and unfortunately, too many teams realize that consistency like that just doesn't come around very often, so conventional thinking about draft position on kickers is pretty much out the window, imo

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1090207
    In watching the combine the thing that stands out to me is the size of the guys at QB and WR. They are all getting huge and to me the next thing that will be a premium commodity is to have defenses trend towards taller corner backs and safeties to help defend against them. It's looking like the trend will be taller, more physical corners that can disrupt a route and make up for it if they take a wrong step. Guys like Winny at 5'9 are going to be a thing of the past and I would look very closely at whether we can find a guy like that to bring in and start to develop.
    Can you believe Wes Bunting called Mallett "soft"? Soft, where?

If anything, he's on the skinny side.

I'm liking Marr's boy as an option at QB in a later round more and more, although the guru at the Huddle report wrote an article that scared me, mostly because the author has shown to me that he knows his shit in the past.

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/huddlenotes/?p=500

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1090193

The question: Is Joe Webb worth the risk or should we draft a new quarterback?
    Of course he's worth the risk to keep. You can't judge a QB's future on that limited amount of playing time. (Although there are those here that think they can). He did show more upside than TJ.

But you still need to address a QB in the draft & you still need to address a QB in FA. You need a veteran on the roster as well as a third QB. We will be forced, IMO, to start a veteran at QB next year & I highly doubt it will be Patrick Ramsey.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast