Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Vikings: Predraft cat-and-mouse game continues

Vikings: Predraft cat-and-mouse game continues

[size=18px]Vikings: Predraft cat-and-mouse game continues[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: April 13, 2006 – 8:31 PM

Consider it a final chance to check out the merchandise, not to mention throw opposing teams off the scent. Those are the main purposes of the predraft visits the Vikings and 31 other NFL teams have been conducting this week and will continue to schedule through next Friday as they prepare for the draft on April 29-30.
    The NFL combine in Indianapolis each February serves as the ultimate cattle call for college talent to be seen and heard by teams. But these visits give them one more chance to kick the tires.

"The meetings [with players] in Indianapolis were only 15 minutes in length," said Fran Foley, Vikings vice president of player personnel. "You can get 60 guys in 15-minute intervals each. So obviously when you bring players in [for visits] you can talk to them at length. If for some reason you had a question that did not get answered or you want to spend a little more time with them."

Although teams are now allowed to bring in 30 players -- prospects from within the area do not count against that figure -- Foley said the Vikings' plan is to have about 20 visits. Three players were in town Thursday -- the Vikings do not release the list -- and Alabama outside linebacker DeMeco Ryans will be among those at Winter Park today.

But just because a player visits doesn't mean a team is set on trying to get him. In fact, it can be just the opposite in the cat-and-mouse game played by NFL teams. "There are times when you may invite a player in to give the impression you might be thinking a certain way in the draft where actually [you're] not," Foley said.

For the players the Vikings do like, the opportunity to get a final look can prove valuable for several members of the organization. Foley said he gets to sit down with the players, as does coach Brad Childress, director of college scouting Scott Studwell and certain assistants. One of the big keys is the chance for the medical staff to check out the player.

"You're not allowed to bring any player in unless you give them a physical," Foley said. "So the medical end is important. You may have a guy that your doctors might have had a question on. They may have said if this player had had an injury, 'We'd really like to put our hands on him ourselves to do a more thorough, more extensive evaluation.' "

Etc.

• Foley said the Vikings are not currently engaged in any talks with teams about moving up in the draft. Minnesota has the No. 17 pick in the opening round.

• The Vikings coaching staff will be off for a week beginning today. The personnel department, however, will continue to work on the draft. "We may take Easter Sunday off, but this is too critical of a time for us to be taking the time off," Foley said. While visits will continue today, none are scheduled for Saturday. "We didn't feel comfortable bringing [players] in over the Easter weekend," Foley said.

• In addition to Clemson quarterback Charlie Whitehurst's visit Wednesday, Scout.com reported that Miami outside linebacker Roger McIntosh was in town. The website also said Southern Cal tight end Dominque Byrd, who played high school football at Breck, will be at Winter Park at some point.

• The Vikings could have another option at tight end. Connecticut basketball player Ed Nelson, a 6-8, 265-pound power forward who did not play college football, wants to pursue a career in the NFL and will hold a workout April 21. Nelson will be represented by agent Joe Linta, who counts Vikings offensive linemen Matt Birk, Adam Goldberg and Mike Rosenthal among his clients.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings: Predraft cat-and-mouse game continues

Now I am slightly concerned.....maybe I am part of their cat and mouse game and they really have no interest in me.

All this time I believe ballboy and his statement about their interest in me as a all purpose all around player

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i just want the new uniforms to come out right now!
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Eh.. smokescreens are always a factor at this time of year. No difference to any other year. Bring on the subterfuge!

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    Now I am slightly concerned.....maybe I am part of their cat and mouse game and they really have no interest in me.

All this time I believe ballboy and his statement about their interest in me as a all purpose all around player
    Well since you're from NoDak you might count as "in the area" so at least your visit wouldn't count against them! :lol:

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

This always happens around draft night
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

i still think the vikings are gonna grab an offensive lineman for the right side
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

ViKing24 is offline Asst. Coach

theirs tons of this info already on the forums try to post something different okay

Formerly Viking24

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"ViKing24" wrote:
    theirs tons of this info already on the forums try to post something different okay
    *sigh*

This is a new article and has a unique take.

I know you are upset because in the past 3 weeks you have had 4 threads locked and 3 that had to be moved because they were in the wrong forum.

I sent you a few friendly PM's and never heard back. So, don't have to get sour on me because you have failed to follow the rules.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

oh ok mod........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast