Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Vikings - Potential Players In The 2010 Draft

How unfortunate us Vikings fans are.
    I miss the times when we had the pleasure of selecting from the top shelf, the cream of the crop.
    Instead, we have to settle with leftovers, the scraps.

Damn, I envy the Lions.

Anyway, which prospects do you like in this year's NFL draft? Considering the Vikings having one of the last picks in the first round, hopefully not the last.

I like the idea of Taylor Mays from USC. He was one of the hottes prospects a year ago, and probably won't stay long on the board, but please bare with me on this one!

Taylor Mays has slipped dramaticly on most boards, and some "experts" have him selected in the last 10 picks of the first round. I would be extremely happy if the Vikings drafted him for multiple reasons.

1. Taylor Mays is a safety. Most people on this forum would say that safety is one of the biggest needs.

2. Taylor Mays is 6'3" tall, weights around 230 lbs, and runs the 40 yard dash as fast as Adrian Peterson. Mr. "All Day" was perhaps the scariest combination of size, speed and power coming out of the 2007 Draft, and so is Mays in this year's draft.
    Mays would be the "Adrian Peterson" of our defense.

3. Taylor Mays has been drawing comparisons to Adrian Wilson for his size, and Sean Taylor for his tackling ability. He is a safety in college, but I think he could switch over to outside linebacker with great success.
    Considering E.J. Henderson has problems staying healthy and Ben Leber is getting older, linebackers would not be a bad idea to address in the draft. The thing that caused Mays to drop is his coverage ability, and I think that Mays might even be a better fit at linebacker on the next level.

.. So to sum it up, Taylor Mays is the "AD" of the defense and might address TWO needs for us, linebacker or safety.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

Re:Vikings - Potential Players In The 2010 Draft

Would he make it all the way down to where we will be in the draft?

I'm also think it wouldn't hurt to draft a QB?

It's also time to start thinking about replacing Pat Williams with a high draft caliber selection.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

I'd say top priority should be safety, assuming that Pat will play one more year. Next year, DT, definitely if we don't address it in round 2 this year. I know the safeties we have are capable, but I'm a little frustrated with their lackluster performance this year. I know they have it in them, I don't know why they didn't produce much this year. I believe it is partly because of our staunch run D. Teams know they can pass on us and choose to exploit our safeties. I think it's pretty much "6 in one hand, a half a dozen in the other". Anyway I look at it, I believe our first 2 picks should be defense. As much as I'd like to go QB, I believe TJACK will play better when Favre is gone. He has learned and deserves another chance.
    SKOL VIKINGS!
    How bout you sideburns.. You want somma this milk??

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Isn't this thread supposed to come after a Vikings Superbowl victory? B)

Not really a big Taylor Mays fan, he doesn't have great ball skills and is over hyped in my opinion. I think at safety we really need a playmaker and I like Earl Thomas of Texas and Nate Allen from USF as far as guys we may have a shot at.

With our struggles up front this year I'd like to see us address OL early in the draft again, even if we don't get a starter our depth is thin.

Everyone knows we will be looking at QBs. Not really a fan of this class though.

We also may look at d tackles and Lamar Houston from Texas is a really good player there and I also like Jared Odrick from Penn State.

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

So Safety, OL, and DT?

Would that be the order from most to least?
    i m better than you, so just give up...

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

We HAVE To address QB in this draft unless they're sure T-Jack is the future.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Mays is huge and rangy. He's got great speed, good tackler when he's not trying to kill someone, then he tends to miss.

I'd love to have a guy that talented playing safety.

But I'd much rather have our base defense run man coverage, that way we can draft or pick up a corner who can cover someone. Winfield's not that strong of a cover man, but fits the Cover-2 very well, but unfortunately the cover-2 no longer fits the NFL very well. Sapp has cover skills, but he's just as small as Winfield.

I'd like to see BPA, there's a bunch of ways we could go, but I think coaching is the issue, not talent.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

We need to get DT Dan Williams from Tennessee to keep the Williams Wall alive. He really is a beast too. 8.5 TFL and a couple of sacks to go along with 56 tackles...he IS Pat Williams.

An inside linebacker like McLain from Alabama or Weatherspoon would be a good insurance policy if Henderson can't come back and play at a high level. A broken femur is a catastrophic injury.

For a QB, I wouldn't mind taking a project QB in the later rounds. My choices would be Jevan Snead from Ole Miss who has great arm strength, but struggled with decision making this year (Brett Favre II?), or Dan LeFevour, another MAC QB that broke a ton of records and is a great leader.

I have yet to get really into draft research. That will come in February after we win the big one! :cheer:
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

HEY wrote:
    How unfortunate us Vikings fans are.
    I miss the times when we had the pleasure of selecting from the top shelf, the cream of the crop.
    Instead, we have to settle with leftovers, the scraps.

Damn, I envy the Lions.

Anyway, which prospects do you like in the year's NFL draft considering the Vikings having one of the last picks in the first round, hopefully not the last.

I like the idea of Taylor Mays from USC. He was one of the hottes prospects a year ago, and probably won't stay long on the board, but please bare with me on this one!

Taylor Mays has slipped dramaticly on most boards, and some "experts" have him selected in the last 10 picks of the first round. I would be extremely happy if the Vikings drafted him for multiple reasons.

1. Taylor Mays is a safety. Most people on this forum would say that safety is one of the biggest needs.

2. Taylor Mays is 6'3" tall, weights around 230 lbs, and runs the 40 yard dash as fast as Adrian Peterson. Mr. "All Day" was perhaps the scariest combination of size, speed and power coming out of the 2007 Draft, and so is Mays in this year's draft.
    Mays would be the "Adrian Peterson" of our defense.

3. Taylor Mays has been drawing comparisons to Adrian Wilson for his size, and Sean Taylor for his tackling ability. He is a safety in college, but I think he could switch over to outside linebacker with great success.
    Considering E.J. Henderson has problems staying healthy and Ben Leber is getting older, linebackers would not be a bad idea to address in the draft. The thing that caused Mays to drop is his coverage ability, and I think that Mays might even be a better fit at linebacker on the next level.

.. So to sum it up, Taylor Mays is the "AD" of the defense and could even address TWO needs for us, linebacker or safety.
    Great Quality post!

I agree on the safety call.
    :woohoo:

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast