Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings place qualifying offer on Burleson

[size=18px]Vikings place qualifying offer on Burleson[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 02, 2006 – 11:40 PM

The Vikings placed the lowest possible qualifying offer on restricted free agent Nate Burleson on Thursday, giving the receiver a tender that is worth $712,000 and would result in the team getting a draft pick equal to the round in which Burleson was selected (third) if he goes elsewhere.
    The move came on the same day the NFL extended its deadline for free agency by three days and resumed talks aimed at an extension of the collective bargaining agreement. Burleson's agent, Jack Scharf, did not seem discouraged by the Vikings' offer.

"Negotiations will be ongoing to see if we can get a long-term deal for Nate," Scharf said. "More will come to light pending a ratification of the collective bargaining agreement."

If Burleson receives an offer from another club, the Vikings would have seven days to match or let him go in exchange for a third-round selection. With an NFL-high $24 million in salary cap space, the Vikings are in an ideal position to either retain Burleson by matching or go into the open market and sign a free-agent receiver.

Burleson, 24, is coming off a disappointing season in which he missed four games because of injury. Expected to play a key role in helping to replace Randy Moss, Burleson finished with 30 receptions for 328 yards and one touchdown in his third season.

Nonetheless, he is ranked fourth among the available free-agent receivers by Scout.com. Cleveland, San Diego and San Francisco are three teams with salary cap space that might be interested in Burleson.

Exploring all options

The Vikings approached the agent for Pro Bowl center Matt Birk on Thursday to discuss the status of Birk's hip and possibly look at making some contract adjustments. Joe Linta has made it clear on several occasions that Birk won't accept a pay cut after sitting out last season following surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip.

"The Vikings expressed concern about will he be 100 percent?" Linta said. "We disagree. But we are listening to some trade-off proposals where Matt gets something and they get something."

Linta refused to get into specifics, but it sounds as if Birk could make more money in the short term.

"We would listen to anything," Linta said. "Although I said he's not taking a pay cut, I didn't say he wouldn't take a raise. We're just talking about different ideas that could benefit Matt and the Vikings."

Birk, whose contract runs through 2008, is scheduled to make approximately $4.4 million in 2006. Birk said Thursday his hip feels fine.

More adjustments?

Veteran left guard Chris Liwienski is close to reworking his contract to remain with the Vikings, and the team also has approached the agent for right tackle Mike Rosenthal. Both players lost their starting jobs last season.

Liwienski has three years left on a five-year deal and was slated to make $2.065 million in salary and bonuses in 2006.

His agent, Vern Sharbaugh, declined to provide specifics of the restructured agreement. "We talked and pretty much he's going to end up back there," Sharbaugh said. "We're really close."

Linta, who is Rosenthal's agent, did not want to get into specifics. Rosenthal signed a six-year contract extension in September 2004 that was worth up to $15 million. "They want to do some adjustments downward and fill it in with incentives," Linta said.

Etc.

• Three of the four members of a political panel at a Minnesota Chamber of Commerce dinner Thursday night endorsed approving stadiums for the Gophers, Twins and Vikings during this legislative session. Senate Majority Leader Dean Johnson, DFL-Willmar; House Speaker Steve Sviggum, R-Kenyon; and Senate Minority Leader Dick Day, R-Owatonna, all put their support behind building stadiums in front of 1,500 business leaders at the Minneapolis Convention Center, including Vikings owner Zygi Wilf.

The annual dinner, called Session Priorities, signals the beginning of the legislative session.

"I guess my final analysis is I'm very optimistic about three stadiums," said Dave Olson, the president of the chamber of commerce.

• The dates for two of the Vikings' minicamps have been set. A veterans camp will be held April 7-9, three weeks before the NFL draft. A second, which will include the 2006 draft choices, will be May 12-14.

• Paul Edinger's agent, Ken Harris, said he has been given no indication whether the Vikings will attempt to re-sign the veteran kicker.

Vikings place qualifying offer on Burleson

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings place qualifying offer on Burleson

hopefully we retain him. we have a great reciver core that i dont want split up.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"mr.woo" wrote:
    hopefully we retain him. we have a great reciver core that i dont want split up.
    Actually....we don't. We have a recieving corps with similar talent, not great talent. Face it, all of our recievers are pretty average. Marcus Robinson, Travis Taylor and Koren Robinson have all been disappointments in the past, and have produced far less than what they were drafted for. Burleson had one good year (the year he was opposite Moss) and then had a bad year this past year. Williamson is young and not spectacular quite yet.

Our recieving corps isn't great because we have no great recievers. What we do have though is a group of guys that are pretty good and that can get the job done in the right system.

sunny is offline Pro-Bowler

Why do I have a bad feeling about Birk? He made a stand up offer last year when he told the Vikings he would play thru the pain if they gaurenteed his money and they said no. Now I get the feeling that he will be looking out for himself and that means the Vikes are screwed.

Back to topic, I personaly would like to see Burleson resigned. I think his injuries hamperd him all last season and he will bounce back nicley this year. He has the tallent to be a strong number 2 in the NFL.
    I.B.O.T. #213

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

According to Scout.com, both Robinson and Burleson are 3 star receivers (out of 5). You don't pay players of that caliber the big money. They are average to above average receivers.

For more information, click here -> scout.scout.com/a.z?s=...=16&pid=16

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Prophet Guest

I like our receiving corps, but they are all replaceable. The qualifying offer is reasonable.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I agree that these guys dont deserve #1 WR money and that they arent in the same category as Moss, Johnson, and Harrison.

But where I think you are wrong is that if you put 3 or 4 above average WR's on a team I think you have something just as good if not better than having a top teir WR.

We have 3 or 4 WR's on our team that MUST be covered everytime the step onto the field or they can do some real damage and I think this puts more stress on a D then just putting a safety over the top of Moss.

Does anyone else get the feeling so far that it seem as though the front office has been dragging their feet? They seem to be more worried about reworking contracts then getting our current players under contract.

We had some depth at WR last year but if we lose both Koren and Burlison this off season I would suddenly be putting our WR core near the bottom of the NFL :cry:

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    I agree that these guys dont deserve #1 WR money and that they arent in the same category as Moss, Johnson, and Harrison.

But where I think you are wrong is that if you put 3 or 4 above average WR's on a team I think you have something just as good if not better than having a top teir WR.

We have 3 or 4 WR's on our team that MUST be covered everytime the step onto the field or they can do some real damage and I think this puts more stress on a D then just putting a safety over the top of Moss.

Does anyone else get the feeling so far that it seem as though the front office has been dragging their feet? They seem to be more worried about reworking contracts then getting our current players under contract.

We had some depth at WR last year but if we lose both Koren and Burlison this off season I would suddenly be putting our WR core near the bottom of the NFL :cry:
    Completely agree.

But, Id rather have 4 decent Wrs and an awesome RB like we did with Robert Smith. We just need to bring in Edge, or Alexander and we are set for a while.
    Retired 12/21/08

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

They did the right thing. Burleson is an over rated reciever who made a name for himself while playing with Moss. He'll never be a number 1 reciever, that's why they slapped the lowest qualifying offer on him.

That said, however, I'd rather him stay as a #2 or #3 reciever than have the 3rd round pick compensation.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I just recalled posting in a thread last season, I went to look for it, then remembered -I started the thread!

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15134

A lot of you, that posted, wanted to give him #1 money before he even proved that he could handle it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast