Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Vikings "pirating" the Pack !!

Vikings plan to woo Nall, Henderson
    By BOB McGINN

Posted: Mar. 12, 2006

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers often talk about wanting their veterans to re-sign.

While they deliberate, the Minnesota Vikings are taking action.

One year after pirating Pro Bowl safety Darren Sharper and one day after taking away elite kicker Ryan Longwell from the Packers, the Vikings entertained quarterback Craig Nall and made plans to visit with fullback William Henderson later in the week.

Like Longwell was, Nall and Henderson are unrestricted free agents able to sign with any team. They're attractive to the Vikings because they have years of experience in the West Coast offense, which the Vikings will employ for the first time under coach Brad Childress and coordinator Darrell Bevell, a former member of Mike Sherman's staff.

Nall was to arrive in Minneapolis on Sunday afternoon from his home in Louisiana and will visit with Vikings' officials today. The Vikings would be attractive to Nall because Daunte Culpepper is on his way out, starter Brad Johnson is 37 and the only backup is J.T. O'Sullivan, whom Nall beat out in Green Bay.

"I don't know if the fit is right there or not," agent Robb Nelson said Sunday. "Obviously, he likes Darrell, and it's certainly a situation worth looking at."
    Assuming Culpepper is traded, Minnesota seems to provide what Nelson has indicated that his client is seeking. The Vikings don’t have a top quarterback, there is no heir apparent on the roster and the backup situation is completely unsettled.

O’Sullivan spent most of 2004 as the Packers’ No. 3 behind Nall and then was cut Sept. 3. The Vikings signed O’Sullivan Nov. 8 off Chicago’s practice squad and kept him as their No. 3 behind Shaun Hill. An unrestricted free agent, the little-used Hill won’t return to Minnesota.

Nall plans to visit two more unspecified teams this week.

"I'm not saying we wouldn't do something but I'd say it's probably unlikely we'd jump at something right away," Nelson said. "Craig wants to keep his eyes open. We'll listen to the guys in Minnesota."

In the days leading up to free agency, both Nall and Nelson have had talks with the Packers, in which keen interest was expressed.

"We're far from closing the door in Green Bay," Nelson said. "We're obviously looking at the market but we're still very interested in staying put."

Nall's value to the Packers as well as his interest in returning depend to a large extent on what Brett Favre does. He has had 70 days since the final game to make a decision but remains mum.

"I know they'd really like to have him back regardless of what Brett does," Nelson said. "I wouldn't be surprised if Craig's back there, but we're going to look."

Henderson was one of the players participating in the team's three-day Fan Fest that concluded Sunday. According to one source, he made it sound to people as if he'd be re-signed.

Still, the Vikings have interest in Henderson and are having him in this week.

As a one-back team this decade, the Vikings didn't have a true fullback on their roster. Henderson might be 35 but keeps himself in tip-top shape, is a resourceful receiver, contributes willingly and effectively on special teams and is a locker-room leader. His blocking, however, has continued to decline.

On Saturday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said, "I had a nice visit with William. Hopefully, we can get that worked out."

One would think all it would take to secure the 11-year veteran would be a legitimate contract offer. That's a step the Packers apparently have yet to make.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=407781

Del Rio Guest

Re: Vikings "pirating" the Pack !!

I wouldn't call this round of attempted signings "pirating," it is more like dumpster diving.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

At least we are not "butt pirates". :wink:

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

Good call Del rio...the dumpster juice overfloweth.
    I BLEED PURPLE!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I wouldn't call this round of attempted signings "pirating," it is more like dumpster diving.

Quality back-ups are quality back-ups if they come cheap .... :lol:

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

Personally, I think it's pretty funny that we are signing all these Packers into the purple, especially if they help us get far into the season.
    Just the fact that they are signing with the arch rival Vikings, even though they don't care and just want money, but still.
    It's still something to rub in the fans' faces XD
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Big C is offline Coordinator

I think it gives the whole "Black and Blue division" more meaning! I am thrilled about chasing Henderson. I have a pipe dream of us still holding on to Dante, so Nall is of no interest to me.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Cagey_Fan is offline Rookie

I like the idea of Henderson coming here, he seems to be a decent player as far as Nall goes i'm not that familar with him, besides i think Henderson's seen how Sharper has adjusted to being a vike,and he can also show the packers he still can play. ( i'd rather have him with us then against us.) If not we can put him back in the dumpster. lol

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Henderson was a pro-bowler the other year, Right? Nall is garbage so who cares but Henderson would help the running game a lot IMO.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    At least we are not "butt pirates". :wink:
    :shock:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast