singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings pass free agent test

[size=18px]Vikings pass free agent test[/size]

Gary Giombetti
    The Daily Tribune
    Sunday, April 02nd, 2006 10:13:00 PM

HIBBING — While listening to the radio the other day, one question was asked — How do you think the Minnesota Vikings did during the free agent signing period?

Did they crash and burn or did they actually come out of it OK? I look at it both ways.

When you look at who the Vikings signed, I feel they crashed and burned because they didn’t sign any big name free agents.

Steve Hutchinson was a good signing because it helps the offensive line immensely. The other free agents (Ryan Longwell, John Lieber, Chester Taylor, Tank Williams to name a few) aren’t exactly Fantasy Football type caliber players.

We passed up on a lot of those free agents like Edgerrin James, Shawn Alexander and Adam Vinitieri.

I guess we get these delusions of grandeur about signing superstar players, but sometimes, those superstars aren’t the right pieces for the puzzle.

Give Brad Childress some credit because he knows exactly the type of players he needs to run his version of West Coast Offense.

That’s why I feel the Vikings hit a home run when with their signings they picked up team-player type guys.

When you think of the New England Patriots what players actually come to mind when it comes to superstars (other than Tom Brady).

Coach Bill Belichek is always looking for players that fit his system, then he gets the most out of them. That’s why his team has won three Super Bowls in the past five years.

You can’t have selfish players on a team if you want to win many games. That’s the main reason Childress got rid of Daunte Culpepper (like it or not). Culpepper was getting selfish, thinking of himself first and not the team.

We all know what happened to the Minnesota Timberwolves last season with Sam Cassell and Latrell Sprewell. Those two tore that team apart and that’s why the Wolves are experiencing turmoil this year.

Culpepper needed to leave. He wasn’t going to fit into the new offense anyway, but I’m still not too confident with Brad Johnson at the helm and Mike McMahon as his backup.

I wish I had some inside information on what the Vikings are going to do in the draft. Will they trade their picks to get a quarterback? Will they stay put and get a linebacker at No. 17? We do need to shore up our defense a little more.

I can hardly wait for the draft at the end of April.

The experts would like the Vikings to make a trade with Atlanta and get quarterback Matt Schaub, who is a perfect fit for Childress’ offense.

He’s done well as a backup to Michael Vick.

Only Childress and the Vikings’ staff know what they’re going to do. I hope it all plays out well in the end.

Vikings pass free agent test

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings pass free agent test

yeah.. i'd have to agree with him..

as for the BIG NAME signings.. we got the 1 we needed.. if you think longwell another possible big name.. then we got 2. I don't think we needed to go after the big $ signings only becuase it would have limited us in getting say 5 Good Named players instead of picking up 2 BIG NAME players. also now we can use the draft to supliment our roster.. add in some backups (who will become starters) and fill in some of the gaps we are identifying.

from my point of view.. We Passed well from FA

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

[size=18px]THIS AIN'T MADDEN BABY![/size]

"We're going to be like Vikings. We'll go ashore, burn the boats, and never look back."

We're gonna play some "smash-mouth"

[size=18px]CHILDRESS FOOTBALL![/size]
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I agree that Childress did a bang up job in free agency. We kicked some major arse, IMO. I'm still tired of hearing about Schaub though!

Prophet Guest

"Ltrey33" wrote:
    I agree that Childress did a bang up job in free agency. We kicked some major arse, IMO. I'm still tired of hearing about Schaub though!
    So Ltrey33, what's the latest on Schaub?

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Hutch is the best OG in the league. He was definately a big name signing. And so was Longwell.

I give the Vikings a strong A- so far this offseason. Given the fact that we have 5 picks in the firt three rounds, I think we are in a good position to imrove upon that grade.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Ltrey33" wrote:
    So Ltrey33, what's the latest on Schaub?
    :evil: He's still a Falcon!

Big C is offline Coordinator

I think we had an awesome free agency. Mainly because it gives us so much more freedom with the draft. 5 first day picks and no immediate holes to fill. I think that is excellent work. It plays right in to Foley's philosophy of building through the draft.

The signing of Hutch and a healthy Birk will be the key to success this season. No matter who you have at QB. I was sad to see DC, Bennett and Nate leave, but that's the nature of the sport (these days) and you have to roll with it.

I have been watching some games from last season. I just hope Childress gives Moore a fair chance at competing for the starting RB spot. His vision and balance gave him so many 5+ yard carries when that porous O-Line created a little seam. He has a real deceptive speed burst too. He's good between the tackles (if there is a seam), he's good on the outside, has amazing change of direction and cutback and catches the ball out of the backfield so well. I like the signing of Taylor, but REALLY hope Childress gives this kid a chance to compete.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

"Big C" wrote:
    I think we had an awesome free agency. Mainly because it gives us so much more freedom with the draft. 5 first day picks and no immediate holes to fill. I think that is excellent work. It plays right in to Foley's philosophy of building through the draft.

The signing of Hutch and a healthy Birk will be the key to success this season. No matter who you have at QB. I was sad to see DC, Bennett and Nate leave, but that's the nature of the sport (these days) and you have to roll with it.

I have been watching some games from last season. I just hope Childress gives Moore a fair chance at competing for the starting RB spot. His vision and balance gave him so many 5+ yard carries when that porous O-Line created a little seam. He has a real deceptive speed burst too. He's good between the tackles (if there is a seam), he's good on the outside, has amazing change of direction and cutback and catches the ball out of the backfield so well. I like the signing of Taylor, but REALLY hope Childress gives this kid a chance to compete.
    yeh, who needs a qb when you have a center and a guard? c'mon people, let's over value steve hutchinson a little more please.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

It will be interesting to see what kind of team the Vikings come out with all of this. JUst about every coach is new, a competely new offense, a bunch of new players and a lot of our starters arent here anymore. There are a lot of question marks, I like the idea of the patriots philosophy but its one thing to imitate and another to duplicate what they have been able to do.

I think we are moving in the right direction I am just not sure if we're really going to be as good as everyone is making us sound THIS year

I love the fact they are still at least mentioning Schaub, if we could somehow we could land him we would have had an absolutely amazing free agency

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"