VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings, Other teams gearing up for FA.

Vikings, Other Teams Gearing Up
    Date: Feb 25, 2006

There are a lot of rumors and information flowing here in Indianapolis. The Vikings are said to be gearing up interest in a high profile player who is soon to be a free agent, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Here’s what Scout.com is hearing this week:

NFC

Minnesota Vikings – If the team decides not to pick up the $6 million option for QB Daunte Culpepper, look for them to pursue San Diego Chargers QB Drew Brees, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent. The team feels he should be able to grasp the offense pretty quickly. There have been rumors of this before, but this is the first time a source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed this to Scout.com.

Arizona Cardinals – According to a team source, look for the Cardinals to focus on spending their free agent dollars on improving their offensive line. With lots of cap room, they may sign two impact players on the OL.

Carolina Panthers –Veteran RB Stephen Davis still wants to play and he hasn’t gotten any indication that the team doesn’t want him back, according to his agent, David Canter. Still, it’s possible that Davis is asked to take a pay cut in order to come back for another season.

Detroit Lions – While there were heavy rumors that they would release WR Charles Rogers, it seems that those rumors were unfounded. According to a team source, the team did request to get back his signing bonus but that was more to send him a message that he needed to get his act together. Rogers will be given every chance to win a starting job in training camp. Those close to the team say the new disciplined approach of the coaching staff is just what he needed.

New York Giants – The team will look for depth at receiver in free agency. One player who is said to be on their radar is veteran free agent WR Corey Bradford, who the team talked to last year when he was unrestricted. The team feels they can’t rely on oft-injured WR Tim Carter for the No. 3 role.

Philadelphia Eagles – Scout.com noted that the team showed interest in Notre Dame WR Maurice Stovall at the Senior Bowl. That interest continues as we’re hearing at least two high-ranking decision makers feel he could come in and play right away.

San Francisco 49ers – According to a league source, look for this to be the last year that oft-injured TE Eric Johnson spends in a 49er uniform. He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent after the 2006 season.

Seattle Seahawks – A former NFL player who knows RB Shaun Alexander well told Scout.com this week that Alexander won’t hesitate to sign elsewhere if he can’t reach a deal with the team. The ex-player said Alexander feels very disrespected by the team and hasn’t ever gotten the impression that he was a high priority to re-sign. His agent Jim Steiner is scheduled to resume talks with Seattle this weekend at the NFL combine.

St. Louis Rams – Look for the team to spend most if not all of their free agent dollars on the defensive side of the ball. They’re looking for impact players on the defensive line and at linebacker.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers – While he may have some interest in re-signing, the team has already decided that they will not re-sign inconsistent OT Kenyatta Walker. Look for them to sign a veteran free agent to replace him.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings, Other teams gearing up for FA.

I like this statement right here:

Minnesota Vikings – If the team decides not to pick up the $6 million option for QB Daunte Culpepper, look for them to pursue San Diego Chargers QB Drew Brees, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent. The team feels he should be able to grasp the offense pretty quickly. There have been rumors of this before, but this is the first time a source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed this to Scout.com.

I would like to see Pepp get a second chance at proving himself, but if they decide to trade him, or release him then I would love to see the Vikes get Drew Brees.

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I like this statement right here:

I would like to see Pepp get a second chance at proving himself, but if they decide to trade him, or release him then I would love to see the Vikes get Drew Brees.
    Agreed!

CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler

true that true that he would be great in minnesota

tylersieve is offline Starter

drew brees woould be an awsume fit to the viking organization but i dont see it happening...i think as of right now childress will keep CPEP but i would rather see brees than fumblisions any day
    Sieveinator Strikes Agian

I thought the statements by Seattle was a little surprising!! i just hope they DON'T reach an agreement with him so Minnesota can make a run at him!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Those comments about the Vikings have already been found to be out-of-date due to Zygi's comments from yesterday! Gotta love all the contradictory rumours floating around during the Off-Season.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

The off season is the offseason all this stuff always happen...like did the media really force us to trade RANDY!@!!