Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings OTA Workouts Videos!!!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45282.msg785918#msg785918 date=1212070193]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=45282.msg785916#msg785916 date=1212070108]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45282.msg785914#msg785914 date=1212069914]
    ....By the way, can you tell me one thing that benifits the team with him skipping OTA's?
    I can't think of one but I can sure rattle off a few that are negative with respect to his role as a leader and a Vet when it comes to working with the youngsters and his teamates.

:P
    You have your panties in a bunch over nothing.
    The rooks have to learn the alphabet before they can formulate words, sentences, and writing skills.
    Give them their foundation in the OTA's and then they're ready to take the initiative to learn from the vets.
    If the rookies take no initiative to learn they deserve to be flipping burgers.
    Yea I guess your right.
    I am sure all the other vets are there (with the exception of Chester) for no reason.

:
    It's a case-by-case basis.
    I'm sure it's all worked out and I have no problem with it.
    One of the differences in your philosophy and mine is that I consider all of them professionals, which puts the responsibility on the individual's shoulder to improve.
    They must tap into their resources and do everything they need to do to perform well.
    If they need to be spoonfed information without taking their own initiative they don't have the mental capacity to be a professional.
    There is plenty to learn for a noob without the presence of a veteran in May.
    Training camp will be where the men (professionals) are seperated from the boys (pansy-jiggly butt whiners needing to be spoon fed).
    I know you are right on this, however, I expect more out a guy of Birks caliber.

I have and will always expect team leaders of his stature to do the right thing when it comes to thier role as a team leader/mentor at this point in the season.

One of those cats possibly could be called on this year to step in as the Center of this offensive line.
    That job, as a few of us know, is very critical to how well the offense perfoms.
    Any and all help the two options we have that could fill that role is needed from day one.

Again, his presence would be benificial in that process.
    We don't even know what his contributions are.
    He's not at the voluntary camp, doesn't mean he's not contributing.
    I just don't see a problem, it's May.
    You have been around long enough to know that a veteran, in anything, can fill a noobs head with priceless information in a matter of minutes if the rookie is willing to listen and soak it all in.
    Veterans have a list of high-graded experientially based information and can tell you the bottom-line in situations.
    The center touches the ball on every offensive play, so he is obviously crucial to the team's offensive success.
    Everyone knows Birk is in the denouement of his career and the coaching staff is gearing up the replacement.
    There will be plenty of time for tidbits of knowledge to be passed along from Birk.
    I guess we just differ in the approach, i think a rookie has so much to learn at this point that he is getting the foundation laid down in the OTAs and will get the refinement and additional input during training camp.
    Being a professional is a life-long process and the learning never ends.

p.s. I'm disappointed, i was hoping for the old marr to come out with fists waving.

[/quote]
    Ol Marrdro is put away and only comes out for special occasions.
    A vet letting me down doesn't quite qualify.

Probably the whole root of the issue right there for me.

The rooks are in here right now learning the basics of the scheme as well as what is/will be expected of them when training camp starts and that includes some of the off field stuff that Vets are there for.

When/if they get that all down, they will understand all the nuances of what the team is doing so they can focus on camp, becoming the best that they can be which will greatly increase thier chances of making the team.

Again, I belive a Vet has a huge role in that regard and find it somewhat disheartening that a team leader isn't there laying the ground work.

(Key note:
    No one will be able to change my mind on this.
    Birk is officially on my pooh list for this season.

;D)
    [/quote]

And you hit the nail right on the head. YOUR expectations were let down. I think you seem to think that the OTA's are more important/significant to the vets than what they really are. Watch those videos again. I see a lot of workouts/conditioning
    going on & not a lot more than that. You put to much stock in them.

As Prophet said...
    The rooks have to learn the alphabet before they can formulate words, sentences, and writing skills.
    Give them their foundation in the OTA's and then they're ready to take the initiative to learn from the vets.
    Once the minicamp starts & they start getting into the real "meat" of things, Birk will be there. Just as Birk was there on the sidelines when he was out all season in 2005 offering any help he could to the "replacements".

So now he's on your shitlist? LOL! Did Birk sneak up & gave you a "wedgie" in High School or something & now you want justice. So now you'll be nit-picking & watching for any little thing he might do wrong & dwell on it.

I know you. You'll be to Birk, what CCtheBest is to Childress.

Why are you not getting your panties in a bunch over Taylor not being there for either of them? I don't think you've mentioned it once.
    [/quote]
    Nope, I think the OTA's are important and I'm right.
    They are or they wouldn't do them.

You on the other hand think they are some sort of track meet that nothing gets done at.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"singersp" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Jackson returns to practice[/size]

May 29th, 2008 – 1:25 PM

by Judd Zulgad
    startribune.com
    By my count, this was the first of the Vikings’ seven organized team activities to be held indoors.
    Wait a minute. Do you mean to tell me the team watches film together as a group outdoors?

Silly man.

One of the links you provided early told us they were only watching film together in positional groups (BB talking about not watching film with TJ yet).

Its how things work.
    Running, positions skills, smaller groups, full team (Def/Off) workouts.
    They are just getting through the positional drills and have started the small group workouts the last few days.

By the way, there is a guy on here named Singersp who posts all kinds of articles that have that info in them.
    Read his stuff.
    They are very enlightening.
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=45282.msg785924#msg785924 date=1212070463]
    ....By the way, can you tell me one thing that benifits the team with him skipping OTA's?
    I can't think of one but I can sure rattle off a few that are negative with respect to his role as a leader and a Vet when it comes to working with the youngsters and his teamates.
    Yea I guess your right.
    I am sure all the other vets are there (with the exception of Chester) for no reason.
    :
    One of the differences in your philosophy and mine is that I consider all of them professionals, which puts the responsibility on the individual's shoulder to improve.
    They must tap into their resources and do everything they need to do to perform well.
    If they need to be spoonfed information without taking their own initiative they don't have the mental capacity to be a professional.
    Training camp will be where the men (professionals) are seperated from the boys (pansy-jiggly butt whiners needing to be spoon fed).
    I know you are right on this, however, I expect more out a guy of Birks caliber.

I have and will always expect team leaders of his stature to do the right thing when it comes to thier role as a team leader/mentor at this point in the season.

One of those cats possibly could be called on this year to step in as the Center of this offensive line.
    That job, as a few of us know, is very critical to how well the offense perfoms.
    Any and all help the two options we have that could fill that role is needed from day one.

You have been around long enough to know that a veteran, in anything, can fill a noobs head with priceless information in a matter of minutes if the rookie is willing to listen and soak it all in.
    Veterans have a list of high-graded experientially based information and can tell you the bottom-line in situations.
    The center touches the ball on every offensive play, so he is obviously crucial to the team's offensive success.
    Everyone knows Birk is in the denouement of his career and the coaching staff is gearing up the replacement.
    There will be plenty of time for tidbits of knowledge to be passed along from Birk.
    I guess we just differ in the approach, i think a rookie has so much to learn at this point that he is getting the foundation laid down in the OTAs and will get the refinement and additional input during training camp.

p.s. I'm disappointed, i was hoping for the old marr to come out with fists waving.

[/quote]

The rooks are in here right now learning the basics of the scheme as well as what is/will be expected of them when training camp starts and that includes some of the off field stuff that Vets are there for.

When/if they get that all down, they will understand all the nuances of what the team is doing so they can focus on camp, becoming the best that they can be which will greatly increase thier chances of making the team.

Again, I belive a Vet has a huge role in that regard and find it somewhat disheartening that a team leader isn't there laying the ground work.

(Key note:
    ;D)
    [/quote]

And you hit the nail right on the head. YOUR expectations were let down. I think you seem to think that the OTA's are more important/significant to the vets than what they really are. Watch those videos again. I see a lot of workouts/conditioning

As Prophet said...
    Once the minicamp starts & they start getting into the real "meat" of things, Birk will be there. Just as Birk was there on the sidelines when he was out all season in 2005 offering any help he could to the "replacements".

So now he's on your shitlist? LOL! Did Birk sneak up & gave you a "wedgie" in High School or something & now you want justice. So now you'll be nit-picking & watching for any little thing he might do wrong & dwell on it.

Why are you not getting your panties in a bunch over Taylor not being there for either of them? I don't think you've mentioned it once.
    [/quote]

You on the other hand think they are some sort of track meet that nothing gets done at.
    ;D
    [/quote]

i think it's a level of importance.. it's learning positional responisbilities.. it's learning situations and how to deal with them. it's for learning the fundemental parts of each position.. ie.. how to hold yer hands.. how to move your legs, how to move your head.. bla bla

Birk SHOULD know these things upside down.. do i thin it's wrong for him to miss the ota's.. well.. IF he was strugling to know the fundementals ie
    1-4th season player maybe.
    but he's as close to a coach for his position as a player can get. do i think he's conditioning himself to the point he knows where he has to be.. YES.. do i think he can step in when the camps become mandatory and know the drill YES.. do i think it's VITAL for him to be at OTA's that are to teach fundementals.. maybe.. but he DOESNT have to be there to be the player he is

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

"digital420" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=45282.msg785935#msg785935 date=1212071868]
    [quote author=Prophet link=topic=45282.msg785924#msg785924 date=1212070463]

Yea I guess your right.

:

[/quote]

(Key note:

;D)
    [/quote]

As Prophet said...

[/quote]

;D
    [/quote]

i think it's a level of importance.. it's learning positional responisbilities.. it's learning situations and how to deal with them. it's for learning the fundemental parts of each position.. ie.. how to hold yer hands.. how to move your legs, how to move your head.. bla bla

Birk SHOULD know these things upside down.. do i thin it's wrong for him to miss the ota's.. well.. IF he was strugling to know the fundementals ie
    1-4th season player maybe.
    but he's as close to a coach for his position as a player can get. do i think he's conditioning himself to the point he knows where he has to be.. YES.. do i think he can step in when the camps become mandatory and know the drill YES.. do i think it's VITAL for him to be at OTA's that are to teach fundementals.. maybe.. but he DOESNT have to be there to be the player he is

DiGiTaL
    [/quote]
    Very nice post Dig.

I love your last comment and agree 100% but that isn't my point.
    My point is what he brings to the field as a Vet and a leader.
    That is being missed regardless of how trivial people want to make the OTAs to be.

I finally got to look at the vids SI provided.
    One thing I noticed throughtout.
    There sure are alot of vets out there working hard and if you watch real close, you will see eager eyes (of the rooks) glued to the vets.

Sure would be nice to see those two sets of eyes (Mozes/Sullivan) glued on Birk.

As a wise man said,..........

but he's as close to a coach for his position as a player can get.
    How can his absence be anything but a detractor from the development of not only his eventual successor but the rest of the rooks (DL, WR, TE, etc etc).
    :

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910