Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    [size=13pt]Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft[/size]

    By Anthony Hall
    mvn.com


    February 19th, 2008



    Access Vikings reports on two possible defensive ends the Vikings might take in the first round of this year’s draft....

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft


    Good article, I agree that with Udeze's unfortunant illness, a DE will be a top priority. This draft will be exciting... will we select a DE at 17, or go with the BPA, and grab a DE later.

  3. #3
    NDVikingFan66's Avatar
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,831

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    Interesting read....though draft needs are going to change daily once the free agent spree begins.
    I actually see us making a small splash in free agency again this year.
    Try to find the best player/best value combination at some of our needs.
    We have many of them, so maybe we will even work some trade angles.

    I possibly see MeMo (sorry VikingQuee), not being in Viking uniform next year, though I am not sure what we could get for him since I believe there may be a lack of perceived value for him.
    We don't have him on the field that often, we have traded for a RB and taken AD while we have had him, so maybe he is not that good.

    In addition, no one is really saying all that much about the long term and short term diagnosis for Kenechi.

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

    Gonna be alot of people upset when they go S first then DE.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

    Gonna be alot of people upset when they go S first then DE.
    ;D
    Especially when they are both preceded by an OL ;D

  6. #6
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

    Gonna be alot of people upset when they go S first then DE.

    ;D
    Especially when they are both preceded by an OL ;D
    You are cracking me up today.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  7. #7
    TheViking88's Avatar
    TheViking88 is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    100

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    Something inside me worries me about drafting another DE that wont turn out to be like we thought, Robison and Edwards are still young though, but Udeze hasnt turned out like we hoped and James is too injury prone but i do agree that the vikes should take a DE in the first round one more time, unless it would be too much of a reach for one.
    A good pass rush would do wonders for our defense, we dont need help stopping the run obviously, its just the pass that we need help with. Of course it doesnt help if our D is on the field most of the game, but if we had a good pass rush then the qb wouldnt have as much time to sit their and pick apart our D.
    Skol!

  8. #8
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    "TheViking88" wrote:
    Something inside me worries me about drafting another DE that wont turn out to be like we thought, Robison and Edwards are still young though, but Udeze hasnt turned out like we hoped and James is too injury prone but i do agree that the vikes should take a DE in the first round one more time, unless it would be too much of a reach for one.
    A good pass rush would do wonders for our defense, we dont need help stopping the run obviously, its just the pass that we need help with. Of course it doesnt help if our D is on the field most of the game, but if we had a good pass rush then the qb wouldnt have as much time to sit their and pick apart our D.
    Skol!
    I would think that, cancer aside, Udeze has turned out exactly how we had hoped.
    There are other threads around here that talk about the fact that a LDE's primary role is stopping the run, secondary is containment, and third is pass rush.
    He does that very well.
    A RDE, on the other hand, has a primary role of pass rush, with containment and run support second and third.
    That is the area that we are still working on.

    Robison looked very good last year, although his run support is not the best.
    I think he is a good candidate for RDE if he can shore up his work against the run.
    I also don't know for sure if James can be considered injury prone yet.
    His knee injury is related to the original still.
    From the sounds of it, it was not fixed correctly the first time.
    Hopefully with a better surgeon and rehab, he will return to form this year.

    Welcome to PP.O by the way!
    Go to the free beer forum and introduce yourself!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  9. #9
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,602
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

    Gonna be alot of people upset when they go S first then DE.
    ;D
    Not me.
    I drool at the idea of getting Kenny Phillips.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #10
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "TheViking88" wrote:
    Something inside me worries me about drafting another DE that wont turn out to be like we thought, Robison and Edwards are still young though, but Udeze hasnt turned out like we hoped and James is too injury prone but i do agree that the vikes should take a DE in the first round one more time, unless it would be too much of a reach for one.
    A good pass rush would do wonders for our defense, we dont need help stopping the run obviously, its just the pass that we need help with. Of course it doesnt help if our D is on the field most of the game, but if we had a good pass rush then the qb wouldnt have as much time to sit their and pick apart our D.
    Skol!
    I would think that, cancer aside, Udeze has turned out exactly how we had hoped.
    There are other threads around here that talk about the fact that a LDE's primary role is stopping the run, secondary is containment, and third is pass rush.
    He does that very well.
    A RDE, on the other hand, has a primary role of pass rush, with containment and run support second and third.
    That is the area that we are still working on.

    Robison looked very good last year, although his run support is not the best.
    I think he is a good candidate for RDE if he can shore up his work against the run.
    I also don't know for sure if James can be considered injury prone yet.
    His knee injury is related to the original still.
    From the sounds of it, it was not fixed correctly the first time.
    Hopefully with a better surgeon and rehab, he will return to form this year.

    Welcome to PP.O by the way!
    Go to the free beer forum and introduce yourself!
    Excellent post my friend.
    I would move you to the head of the class on the spread sheet but you are already in that column.

    I for one think Brian could be an everydown guy at RDE and could win the RDE position outright next year.
    He has the size and the motor.
    His issues last year with respect to stamina can be directly attributed to the "Rookie Wall" that I believe in.

    91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 2 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 2 Kentucky
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 23 6-6 285 2 Mississippi
    96 Brian Robison DE 24 6-3 267 R Texas
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 24 6-3 281 4 USC


    Barring that, I could see our DL looking like this next year (barring inclusion of a Vet and/or a rookie at DE and a rookie DT)

    RDE Edwards/Grigsby
    DT Kevin Willliams/Fred Evans
    DT Pat Williams/Rookie Drafted in 3rd/4th Round
    LDE Mitchell/Robison

    Robison/Grigsby could flip flop between RDE and LDE in the rotation based on down/distance (obvious passing situations.


    A wild card in all of this is we might just see the staff offer Spencer a mid level contract and move him to LDE as he has the build more suited to that position than the DT position he has been playing.

    97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn

    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Morning Practice Notes - 30 May 09
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-31-2009, 06:50 AM
  2. Vikings / Lions Series Notes
    By Webby in forum Gameday Previews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 11:38 PM
  3. Vikings Thursday afternoon notes
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 06:42 PM
  4. Vikings - Other notes of interest
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 02:33 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •