Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

[size=13pt]Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft[/size]

By Anthony Hall
    mvn.com

February 19th, 2008

Access Vikings reports on two possible defensive ends the Vikings might take in the first round of this year’s draft....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings Notes: Glancing At The Draft

Good article, I agree that with Udeze's unfortunant illness, a DE will be a top priority. This draft will be exciting... will we select a DE at 17, or go with the BPA, and grab a DE later.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Interesting read....though draft needs are going to change daily once the free agent spree begins.
    I actually see us making a small splash in free agency again this year.
    Try to find the best player/best value combination at some of our needs.
    We have many of them, so maybe we will even work some trade angles.

I possibly see MeMo (sorry VikingQuee), not being in Viking uniform next year, though I am not sure what we could get for him since I believe there may be a lack of perceived value for him.
    We don't have him on the field that often, we have traded for a RB and taken AD while we have had him, so maybe he is not that good.

In addition, no one is really saying all that much about the long term and short term diagnosis for Kenechi.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Very nice read.
    Thanks.

Gonna be alot of people upset when they go S first then DE.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

;D
    Especially when they are both preceded by an OL ;D

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

;D
    Especially when they are both preceded by an OL ;D
    You are cracking me up today.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

TheViking88 is offline Rookie

Something inside me worries me about drafting another DE that wont turn out to be like we thought, Robison and Edwards are still young though, but Udeze hasnt turned out like we hoped and James is too injury prone but i do agree that the vikes should take a DE in the first round one more time, unless it would be too much of a reach for one.
    A good pass rush would do wonders for our defense, we dont need help stopping the run obviously, its just the pass that we need help with. Of course it doesnt help if our D is on the field most of the game, but if we had a good pass rush then the qb wouldnt have as much time to sit their and pick apart our D.
    Skol!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"TheViking88" wrote:
    Something inside me worries me about drafting another DE that wont turn out to be like we thought, Robison and Edwards are still young though, but Udeze hasnt turned out like we hoped and James is too injury prone but i do agree that the vikes should take a DE in the first round one more time, unless it would be too much of a reach for one.
    A good pass rush would do wonders for our defense, we dont need help stopping the run obviously, its just the pass that we need help with. Of course it doesnt help if our D is on the field most of the game, but if we had a good pass rush then the qb wouldnt have as much time to sit their and pick apart our D.
    Skol!
    I would think that, cancer aside, Udeze has turned out exactly how we had hoped.
    There are other threads around here that talk about the fact that a LDE's primary role is stopping the run, secondary is containment, and third is pass rush.
    He does that very well.
    A RDE, on the other hand, has a primary role of pass rush, with containment and run support second and third.
    That is the area that we are still working on.

Robison looked very good last year, although his run support is not the best.
    I think he is a good candidate for RDE if he can shore up his work against the run.
    I also don't know for sure if James can be considered injury prone yet.
    His knee injury is related to the original still.
    From the sounds of it, it was not fixed correctly the first time.
    Hopefully with a better surgeon and rehab, he will return to form this year.

Welcome to PP.O by the way!
    Go to the free beer forum and introduce yourself!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read.
    Thanks.

;D
    Not me.
    I drool at the idea of getting Kenny Phillips.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "TheViking88" wrote:
    Skol!
    I would think that, cancer aside, Udeze has turned out exactly how we had hoped.
    There are other threads around here that talk about the fact that a LDE's primary role is stopping the run, secondary is containment, and third is pass rush.
    He does that very well.
    A RDE, on the other hand, has a primary role of pass rush, with containment and run support second and third.
    That is the area that we are still working on.

Robison looked very good last year, although his run support is not the best.
    I think he is a good candidate for RDE if he can shore up his work against the run.
    I also don't know for sure if James can be considered injury prone yet.
    His knee injury is related to the original still.
    From the sounds of it, it was not fixed correctly the first time.
    Hopefully with a better surgeon and rehab, he will return to form this year.

Welcome to PP.O by the way!
    Go to the free beer forum and introduce yourself!
    Excellent post my friend.
    I would move you to the head of the class on the spread sheet but you are already in that column.

I for one think Brian could be an everydown guy at RDE and could win the RDE position outright next year.
    He has the size and the motor.
    His issues last year with respect to stamina can be directly attributed to the "Rookie Wall" that I believe in.

91 Ray Edwards DE 23 6-5 268 2 Purdue
    73 Otis Grigsby DE 27 6-3 260 2 Kentucky
    92 Jayme Mitchell DE 23 6-6 285 2 Mississippi
    96 Brian Robison DE 24 6-3 267 R Texas
    95 Kenechi Udeze DE 24 6-3 281 4 USC

Barring that, I could see our DL looking like this next year (barring inclusion of a Vet and/or a rookie at DE and a rookie DT)

RDE Edwards/Grigsby
    DT Kevin Willliams/Fred Evans
    DT Pat Williams/Rookie Drafted in 3rd/4th Round
    LDE Mitchell/Robison

Robison/Grigsby could flip flop between RDE and LDE in the rotation based on down/distance (obvious passing situations.

A wild card in all of this is we might just see the staff offer Spencer a mid level contract and move him to LDE as he has the build more suited to that position than the DT position he has been playing.

97 Spencer Johnson DT 26 6-3 286 4 Auburn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast