Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings Not Interested in Plaxico Burress

Regardless of who dissed whom, Plax would be an upgrade to our strength at WR right now. He is better than the likes of Basket & Lewis we had last year.

He clearly isn't a bright guy, but he can play ball, that's not in doubt.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098671
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098665
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098664
    I think that at this point we cannot afford to be arbitrarily dismissing the possibility of bringing in ANYBODY who can improve our Receiver corps.

Granted, I think Plaxico is a dumbass, but the guy could play...

Caine
    So does that mean you'd like them to consider T.O. as well?
    Ouch....

Would I LIKE them to? No.

Do we NEED to?

I think we might...

Take a long, hard look at our Receivers. Who produced last season?

Harvin did, despite a few missed games, with 71 receptions, but after taht it's a LONG drop to Berrian with 28...and no one here has been impressed with Berrian's performance.

Camarillo had 20, Rice and Lewis had 17. Basket had 1.

Granted, Rice was injured, but his return wasn't stellar....he averaged 2.83 catches per game. Stretch that out over 16 games and he would have been on pace for 45.28 receptions.

And no excuses about poor QB'ing are allowed...I've heard a certain someone claim that Rice/Harvin can "carry a QB" too many times.

Bottom line, our Receiver corps isn't really that good. In 2009, Berrian was a much stronger contributor (with 55 receptions), and Rice had a stand out year, but the rest came from Shiancoe, Peterson, and Taylor.

So, we need depth. We need TALENT. And if T-Hoe came knocking, we should AT LEAST take a serious look.

Besides, he doesn't blow teams up until his SECOND season there....

I've already stated I want Moss back. His 13 receptions and 2 TD's over 4 games were, statistically, more effective than Rice's 17 catches and 2 TD's over 6 games (again, despite a certain person's incorrect insistence that Moss was ineffective).

At this point, I'm interested in any player who can actually ADD to our roster.

Caine
    You forgot to add the fac tthat his addition caused an explosion in Harvin's stats.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I'd take him
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not sure the comparison between TO and Plax. Plax maybe a dumbass for shooting himself but other than that he's been a team player for the Steelers and the Giants. All teammates loved the guy from what I've read. Can the same be said for TO? Hell NO! I think if the possibility of bringing in Plax were there, the Vikes should check him out. Just say NO to TO (as good as he is). TO has caused nothing but problems in every locker room he has been in.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Adrian Peterson would welcome Plaxico Burress to Minnesota Vikings

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-06-14/adrian-peterson-would-welcome-plaxico-burress-to-minnesota-vikings

Burress has been great on Sunday but defiant and uncooperative the rest of the week. He has a problem with authority.

Perhaps his prison stretch has humbled him and imparted a certain degree of wisdom.

Never the less, the Vikings aren't a team that free agents are going to be lining up to sign with.

Rookie QB, new coaches, no stadium, and cold winters are issues of concern for free agent receivers, including Rice.

I doubt Burress would want to play for the Vikings unless there was a pile of cash waiting for him.

He's probably not worth a pile of cash.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I'd give him a shot on a performance based contract...specially if we can't resign Rice! TO fits the same mold of a bigger, possession type guy, but is older and has been the source of more problems.

Thing is, I feel there's a pretty good chance, that both of these guys have learned from their mistakes and could be better contributors than they were earlier in their careers. Don't forget, that Cris Carter had lots of issues with the Eagles before he ended up the Viking that, "all he does is catch touchdowns!"
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1098722
    I'd give him a shot on a performance based contract...specially if we can't resign Rice! TO fits the same mold of a bigger, possession type guy, but is older and has been the source of more problems.

Thing is, I feel there's a pretty good chance, that both of these guys have learned from their mistakes and could be better contributors than they were earlier in their careers. Don't forget, that Cris Carter had lots of issues with the Eagles before he ended up the Viking that, "all he does is catch touchdowns!"
    Truw but at least Carter had some smarts about him. I'd question the mental ability of someone who, living in a country where a lot of people grow up with guns, not only took a gun into a club but also managed to shoot himself - not the brightest bulb in the factory methinks :P
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Havn't been that impressed with Plaxico since his release. He keeps saying "happened to me", as though he's a victim of some sort. I think I'd rather have TO.
    My wish list in order
    Rice
    TO
    Burress
    Moss

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Little bit of an older article but still applies.

High risk
    Randy Moss,

Moderate risk
    Terrell Owens, 37

Chad Ochocinco, 33

Steve Smith, 32

Low risk
    Plaxico Burress, 33
    After he's released from prison June 6, he'll obviously need time to work himself back into NFL condition, considering he last played in November 2008.
    Reward: It won't take much money to take a flier on him, and if the Giants pass, another team will look to make the 6-5 Burress an effective situational red-zone receiver.
    Best fit: Eagles
    Braylon Edwards, 28
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-02/nfl-free-agency/story/dancing-with-the-divas-weighing-the-risks-rewards-with-free-agent-wide-receivers
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098671
    And no excuses about poor QB'ing are allowed...I've heard a certain someone claim that Rice/Harvin can "carry a QB" too many times.
    And that same yutz hear from a bunch of chuckleheads over and over and over how a certain lame dick QB could carry recievers and make OL's look better and what happened last year?

My guess, the yutz who has Rice and Harvin carrying lame dick is pretty close to being accurate. Mostly cause that guy also chanted that our WR corps is a unit. If one of the pieces isn't there it don't work. If both of the key pieces are gone it really really won't work.

As to Plex. I wouldn't mind seeing him on the team. He has the same thing Jackson and Rice have.....A huge wing span and the body control to use that wing span to catch anything that gets close.

Plex did it for manning just like Rice did it for the Noodle.

For me, we need the following:

a. Jackson/Plex or Rice (in that order)
    b. Harvin with any one of the three above
    c. A QB who isn't afraid to throw it who can get it close.

I think we have item c in young Ponder. Percy says he is now healthy. We just need to get the big possesion guy.

The wildcard in all of this that most of you seem to not want to discuss is Arceneaux. Maybe he can be our item a......:huh:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast