Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Needs Maybe Not So Defined

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51348.msg932653#msg932653 date=1239201489]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=51348.msg932644#msg932644 date=1239201092]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51348.msg932605#msg932605 date=1239198490]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51348.msg932598#msg932598 date=1239197281]
    [size=15pt]Assessing the Vikings Needs Entering the Draft[/size]

http://www.vikingsgab.com/2009/04/07...ing-the-draft/
    He usually draws the opponents best receiver but is at his best in the slot in the nickel.
    Nickel back: ? One of the biggest holes the team has here is the third corner. Who will emerge out of the Karl Paymah, Bennie Saap, and Marcus McCauley trio ? McCauley was a beast in college, but has been a disappointment as a pro.

Saap is usually solid, but has a propensity for shooting himself in the foot with stupid penalties and occasional mental breakdowns. Paymah ? The team signed him for his special teams play and return ability. If he emerges as a coverage corner, that would be an unexpected bonus.
    I have been trying to drill this in peoples heads fro a while now. I keep hearing that Winfield is best in the slot. I really think we need to draft a CB in the 1st.
    No love for Chuck Gordon?

=Z=
    That was a major injury. No telling how he will return.
    Love Chuck to death, however, I will not be suprised if he doesn't come back and continue to progress the way he was.

When a leg sticks out at a funny angle, one would think that is a career ending injury (ala Joe).
    Not neccesarily. Worse to blow out a joint than to suffer a fracture that doesn't invlove the joint.
    Either way, I like Gordon as well, but he is a little slow. He is smart and makes the most out of his skills.
    I'm pulling for him, but I think an upgrade at nickel would help this team. There is still a place for Gordon on this team even if they do draft a corner.
    [/quote]

Oh for sure. Especially when teams love to pass on us. Teams like AZ like to use the 4 WR set.
    [/quote]

Exactly. And we need to counter the Cutler trade with improved [s]pass coverage [/s] [size=10pt]pressure on teh QB [/size] as well. A great QB can pick on one weak CB. Used to happen to Griffin. And is the reason McCauley doesn't play much anymore.
    [/quote]
    Don't normally change a mans post, however, couldn't resist in this little instance.

;D
    [/quote]

the Vikings wound up with 45, fourth best in the NFL
    Defending the pass is the problem.

The Cover two is designed to take away the quick slants with physical coverage up close to the line of scrimmage.

The emphasis is to not let a speedy receiver get off the line quickly.
    IMO this is our problem. Too often I see our CBs 10 yards off the line.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51348.msg932661#msg932661 date=1239202123]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51348.msg932653#msg932653 date=1239201489]
    [quote author=Zeus link=topic=51348.msg932644#msg932644 date=1239201092]
    [quote author=marstc09 link=topic=51348.msg932605#msg932605 date=1239198490]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=51348.msg932598#msg932598 date=1239197281]
    [size=15pt]Assessing the Vikings Needs Entering the Draft[/size]

http://www.vikingsgab.com/2009/04/07...ing-the-draft/
    He usually draws the opponents best receiver but is at his best in the slot in the nickel.
    Nickel back: ? One of the biggest holes the team has here is the third corner. Who will emerge out of the Karl Paymah, Bennie Saap, and Marcus McCauley trio ? McCauley was a beast in college, but has been a disappointment as a pro.

Saap is usually solid, but has a propensity for shooting himself in the foot with stupid penalties and occasional mental breakdowns. Paymah ? The team signed him for his special teams play and return ability. If he emerges as a coverage corner, that would be an unexpected bonus.
    I have been trying to drill this in peoples heads fro a while now. I keep hearing that Winfield is best in the slot. I really think we need to draft a CB in the 1st.
    No love for Chuck Gordon?

=Z=
    That was a major injury. No telling how he will return.
    Love Chuck to death, however, I will not be suprised if he doesn't come back and continue to progress the way he was.

When a leg sticks out at a funny angle, one would think that is a career ending injury (ala Joe).
    Not neccesarily. Worse to blow out a joint than to suffer a fracture that doesn't invlove the joint.
    Either way, I like Gordon as well, but he is a little slow. He is smart and makes the most out of his skills.
    I'm pulling for him, but I think an upgrade at nickel would help this team. There is still a place for Gordon on this team even if they do draft a corner.
    [/quote]

Oh for sure. Especially when teams love to pass on us. Teams like AZ like to use the 4 WR set.
    [/quote]

Exactly. And we need to counter the Cutler trade with improved [s]pass coverage [/s] [size=10pt]pressure on teh QB [/size] as well. A great QB can pick on one weak CB. Used to happen to Griffin. And is the reason McCauley doesn't play much anymore.
    [/quote]
    Don't normally change a mans post, however, couldn't resist in this little instance.

;D
    [/quote]

the Vikings wound up with 45, fourth best in the NFL
    Defending the pass is the problem.

The Cover two is designed to take away the quick slants with physical coverage up close to the line of scrimmage.

The emphasis is to not let a speedy receiver get off the line quickly.
    IMO this is our problem. Too often I see our CBs 10 yards off the line.
    [/quote]
    I wonder if we could find a stat that layed out when/were sacks occured and how many of them were coverage sacks........

Long story short, I agree that we need better play out of our CB's and S's in pass coverage, but I also believe we need to get better pressure from our front 4 without so much help from our LB'rs.

Those cats (especially Greenway) need to be able to drop into those short zones to take away things like the quick slant that is available when our CB's are off the line, which is dictated at times by the scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesotavi...seasonType=REG
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

[size=10pt]Approaching The Draft: Cornerback[/size]

http://www.vikingsgab.com/2009/04/10...ft-cornerback/

Marrdro's comments follow:

Could have put this in a couple of threads, however, this is the most recent one with CB talk in it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567