Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings Needs Maybe Not So Defined

The group of Heyward-Bey, Maclin, Harvin, Britt, Nicks, and Robiskie could produce some quality wide outs. But the same thing was said last year of guys like Devin Thomas, Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Malcolm Kelly, Early Doucet, and Earl Bennett. None of these guys really had much impact in their first year, so there is no reason to expect the “tier two” guys of this draft to have much impact either. Plus, the Vikings already have seven wide outs on the roster.
    Guys like Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews have the potential to unseat Ben Leber from his starting spot.
    I really liked those two parts. I also think we could consider DB if Alphonso Smith is there at 22, he's a top ten pick if he's 3 inches taller, according to Mayock, and I haven't seen a thing to make me disagree.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"jessejames09" wrote:
    The group of Heyward-Bey, Maclin, Harvin, Britt, Nicks, and Robiskie could produce some quality wide outs. But the same thing was said last year of guys like Devin Thomas, Limas Sweed, James Hardy, Malcolm Kelly, Early Doucet, and Earl Bennett. None of these guys really had much impact in their first year, so there is no reason to expect the “tier two” guys of this draft to have much impact either. Plus, the Vikings already have seven wide outs on the roster.
    Guys like Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews have the potential to unseat Ben Leber from his starting spot.
    I really liked those two parts. I also think we could consider DB if Alphonso Smith is there at 22, he's a top ten pick if he's 3 inches taller, according to Mayock, and I haven't seen a thing to make me disagree.
    Thier breakdown of the DB's last night was excellent.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"marstc09" wrote:
    a total of seven corners currently on the roster
    This guy needs to do a little bit more research. We have eight. He forgot Derrick Roberson.
    It was kindof an eye opener, the number of DB's we have on the roster right now especially when you look at the two important numbers......53 and 80.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Mayock and Charles Davis were both DBs, good judges of character imo.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Mayock and Charles Davis were both DBs, good judges of character imo.
    Mike Mayock?
    The guy who told Peter King this?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/07/draft/index.html

Eighteen short days until the draft, so it's time for yours truly to start devoting days and nights to draft education. I started with a conversation with Mike Mayock of NFL Network, a guy I like a lot because he's blunt and not afraid to be wrong. If you're afraid to be wrong in the draft business, you'll be mealy mouthed. That's not Mayock.

Ten Nuggets Mined From Mayock

10. If you need a cornerback in this draft, sit it out. There are no corners even well above average, never mind great.
    =Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Mike Mayock?
    The guy who told Peter King this?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/04/07/draft/index.html

Eighteen short days until the draft, so it's time for yours truly to start devoting days and nights to draft education. I started with a conversation with Mike Mayock of NFL Network, a guy I like a lot because he's blunt and not afraid to be wrong. If you're afraid to be wrong in the draft business, you'll be mealy mouthed. That's not Mayock.

Ten Nuggets Mined From Mayock

10. If you need a cornerback in this draft, sit it out. There are no corners even well above average, never mind great.
    =Z=
    Nice read Z.....

4. Mayock, if he had his choice of first-round picks for talent and value, would be around 22. "The value in this draft is at 15 and beyond.'
    Pretty much the consensus across the board.

Gonna be a few good ones at the top, but not much that is special this year.

[size=15pt]Assessing the Vikings Needs Entering the Draft[/size]

http://www.vikingsgab.com/2009/04/07...ing-the-draft/

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

He usually draws the opponents best receiver but is at his best in the slot in the nickel.
    Nickel back: ? One of the biggest holes the team has here is the third corner. Who will emerge out of the Karl Paymah, Bennie Saap, and Marcus McCauley trio ? McCauley was a beast in college, but has been a disappointment as a pro.

Saap is usually solid, but has a propensity for shooting himself in the foot with stupid penalties and occasional mental breakdowns. Paymah ? The team signed him for his special teams play and return ability. If he emerges as a coverage corner, that would be an unexpected bonus.
    I have been trying to drill this in peoples heads fro a while now. I keep hearing that Winfield is best in the slot. I really think we need to draft a CB in the 1st.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

The Cover two is designed to take away the quick slants with physical coverage up close to the line of scrimmage.

The emphasis is to not let a speedy receiver get off the line quickly.
    Then why are we not doing this all the time. I rarely saw them play tough at the line. Anyone who was at the games and saw the whole field would see this.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

He usually draws the opponents best receiver but is at his best in the slot in the nickel.
    Nickel back: ? One of the biggest holes the team has here is the third corner. Who will emerge out of the Karl Paymah, Bennie Saap, and Marcus McCauley trio ? McCauley was a beast in college, but has been a disappointment as a pro.

Saap is usually solid, but has a propensity for shooting himself in the foot with stupid penalties and occasional mental breakdowns. Paymah ? The team signed him for his special teams play and return ability. If he emerges as a coverage corner, that would be an unexpected bonus.
    I have been trying to drill this in peoples heads fro a while now. I keep hearing that Winfield is best in the slot. I really think we need to draft a CB in the 1st.
    I don't think there are to many on here who would say you are wrong.
    The ones that do are just yutz CSA'rs....

By the way, if a deal can't get done before the draft, you might see your coveted CB taken at 22 even with the plethora of talent we currently have on the roster.... ;D

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast