Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Narrow QB Focus

Here some news regarding the QB situation. Some new, some old.

Vikings Narrow Quarterback Focus

Date: Mar 17, 2006

Who is making the cut on the quarterback search and who is out — at least for now? Three veteran candidates have emerged as possibilities to backup Brad Johnson while another appears to be out of the picture.

The Vikings don’t seem to be in a hurry to complete their search for a backup to quarterback Brad Johnson after trading Daunte Culpepper to the Dolphins, but three names are emerging as possibilities and indications are one has been ruled out.

The Vikings might not be able to make a move for a veteran quarterback until they know the status of Seattle guard Steve Hutchinson. Minnesota signed Hutchinson to a seven-year, $49 million offer sheet on Sunday and might not know until Sunday night whether Hutchinson will be counting $13 million against the Vikings’ 2006 salary cap or Seattle’s cap. That could delay their ability to sign a backup quarterback this weekend, but that hasn’t stopped them from evaluating those that are available in free agency.

The Vikings may have an interested in free agent quarterback Gus Frerotte, who was released by the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday when their acquisition of Culpepper was complete. The release of Frerotte reportedly saved the Dolphins $4.38 million in cap room, but the Miami Herald is reporting that the Dolphins have an interest in re-signing him as well.

Frerotte likely will command strong interest around the league with several teams shopping for quarterbacks and the quality supply less than the demand. The Denver Post reports that the St. Louis Rams have an interest in Frerotte, who played for former Vikings offensive coordinator and current Rams head coach Scott Linehan in Minnesota and Miami over the past three years.

The 6-3, 233-pounder has completed 54.1 percent of his passes with 95 touchdowns and 79 interceptions and a passer rating of 75.3 over his 12-year NFL career with the Redskins, Lions, Broncos, Bengals, Vikings and Dolphins.

The Vikings have also expressed an interest in Tampa Bay free agent quarterback Brian Griese. The 6-foot-3, 214-pounder has played eight years with Denver, Miami and Tampa Bay. He has a 63.1 completion percentage, throwing 103 touchdowns and 78 interceptions for a career passer rating of 84.8.

Finally, the Vikings are keeping their options open with quarterback Joey Harrington, who is expected to be released by the Detroit Lions any day now after they have signed Jon Kitna and Josh McCown, who will compete for the starting job.

Harrington, at 6-4, 220 pounds, has had a scattered four-year career with the Lions. His Detroit days are expected to end shortly, with a completion percentage of 54.7, 60 touchdowns and 62 interceptions for a career rating of 68.1. While Harrington's statistics aren't great, the appeal with him would be his relatively young career and the opportunity for Vikings head coach Brad Childress and offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell to groom him.

One player who has been ruled out as not being a good fit for the Vikings offense, according to a league source, is New Orleans Saints free agent quarterback Aaron Brooks. Brooks was dispensable in New Orleans after the Saints signed Drew Brees to a six-year, $60 million contract.

Green Bay Packers third-string quarterback Craig Nall, an unrestricted free agent who visited the Vikings on Monday, reportedly visited the Buffalo Bills on Thursday. Nall is seeking a job as a No. 2 quarterback, and indications are the Vikings might not view him as a solid No. 2 behind Johnson.

The Vikings never did express an interest in McCown, despite reports to the contrary elsewhere.

If the Hutch deal falls through, there may not be anymore decent FA QB's left. I hope they know what they are doing.

Prophet Guest

Re: Vikings Narrow QB Focus

Oh Noooooooo! Aaron Brooks and Joey Harrington are on my cyanide pill list, my days grow shorter.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I would love to bring Frerotte back to MN...he would be a perfect backup.

OMG, they had better not be seriously looking at Harrington!!!!! :evil:

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

It doesn't matter who they bring in. If he is worse the bj then he is not good.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Remember guys this is for the back up spot..

He just needs to be better then O'sullivan and Hill..

Doesn't need to be a superstar

Harrington or Brooks would be just fine

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Why do I get this feeling that the Vikes are going to go after Jay Cutler???? It's just a "gut" feeling but gads I would hate to give away three draft choices to get him. But I hear some people may think he may fall to 17.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

PAvikesfan is offline Star Spokesman

see my problem is that by waiting we are losing possible FA players... i hope we are not waiting, cause that would be the biggest boneheaded move and would suggest to me that our new coaching's timing is off.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"Wiggles67" wrote:

Ferotte signed with ST. Louis. I saw it last night on ESPN News...

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "Wiggles67" wrote:

Ferotte signed with ST. Louis. I saw it last night on ESPN News...
    well shoot.....

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

U guys.. Harrington or Brooks would be just fine at back up..

better then the options we have right now too..

Bring in one of those 2 or a rookie like Omar Jacobs

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast