Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings - Mock Madness

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:
    If it's LDE we're drafting, I'd prefer Merling to Campbell, due to his stats in college (if he's able to stop that many plays for a loss, I imagine he'd be able to disrupt the pass pretty respectably, too).

But here's my question for you knowledgable PP.O'ers:
    if both Harvey AND Merling are available, who would be the better guy for us to draft?
    See there is the rub.
    That would mean that they believe that guys like Edwards, Robison, James aren't gonna get it done with respect to sacks, and a rookie would.

I just can't get myself to believe that they would put more value on him than a LDE in the 1rst round.

If I am wrong and they do take a situational pass rusher (Harvey) and then take a LDE later, then they would have to be planning on getting someone else in a later round (i.e 3rd/4th) like Lanford or Johnston.

Langford
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=56382

Johnston
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=68159

Good analysis, Marrdro.
    Count me in for the Phillip Merling crowd, then.
    Those other prospects look pretty solid, too, though.
    (Not as solid as Merling, obviously).
    So many ways they can go my friend. I guess in a way, that is a good thing.
    Sure makes it hard for some yutz like me to come up with a mock draft of any credibility.

;D
    Marr.. the problem with your thinking is that we don't need to take a LDE in later rounds regardless of us taking Merling or Harvery...

From what i've gathered from you is that LDE is more of a run stopping end / while also being able to put some pressure on the passer and maintain outside contain... well if that's the case we have sooo many other options to move someone over to that side..

We could use one of our DT's like a Fred Evans or even Jayme Mitchell...

The biggest point of contention being is that we are very stout against the run.. even if we put a plug-and-play guy over there or someone who's a little light.. worst case we drop a little against the run.. big deal... noone is going to run the ball much on us regardless over the next atleast two to three years while pat and kdub are in the middle...

but we need someone who can rush the passer.. and not a ray edwards or a brian robison.. they are good but we need an elite prospect over there that is relentless and can actually get to the qb...

So what i'm saying is if we draft say a Harvey or Groves(which is a possibility), we don't need to necessarily address the LDE position and draft another one... We just really need a pass rusher...

I think between Merling, Harvey, and Groves, someone will be there and will possibly be that guy to rush the passer...
    I hear ya bleed, but I am not a proponent of playing a guy out of position.

Remember how down everyone got on Keneche when he filled in at RDE when Erasmus went down?

Again, good idea moving a guy but I would rather draft a guy that is designed to play there as well as draft a Edge guy later in the draft that can play either LB or put his hand down and rush the QB.

As to putting someone light over there with the assumption that it is ok to give up a bit on the run.
    Did you see what the PUKERS did to us when we played Robison over there a bunch last year?
    If memory serves he put up a number over 100 yds and we still didn't get to the QB.

Nope, the right answer is to (as I've been saying) draft 2 DE's this year.
    A LDE and a Edge guy/tweener.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Not to make it even harder on you Marrdro

But, With Ten picks, we have the ammo to move up nearly anywhere if a guy is there that we covet/think is worth the while.
    Not sure, but I think we have more picks than open roster spots at this point

Wow.
    Are any of ya'all going to read all that?????
    LOL
    !
    ;D
    Of course.
    I like the musings of mountainmen.
    ;D

By the way, I agree with you that they will move around this year.
    Spielman has (with the little history we have of him) shown that he likes to do it.

I believe he will not only move up but he will move down and we will wind up with 2 extra picks in next years draft because of it.
    ;D

By the way, I still don't think Gholston will be in the top 5.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Mock Madness 5.0[/size]

4/21/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

Months upon months of speculation will come to an end later this week as the 2008 NFL Draft will be held on Saturday and Sunday in New York City...

Without further ado, here is Mock Madness 5.0!........

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Two things.....

1. It was fun to go back read some of the other posts I made on this stuff.
    Gotta keep my [s]lies[/s] projections straight.
    ;D

Looks like Merling is gonna be the man if Harvey doesn't fall according to these [s]yutz's[/s] experts.

Lets hope that we aren't even picking at 17.
    ;D

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345