Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings - Mock Madness

"mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm with you on WR to some extent, I just think that the signing of Berrian pushes it down the need list a bit.
    I would love to see us land Malcolm or Limas!!
    Kelly's hands/concentration in traffic is phenomenol!
    If any of you haven't seen the highlight video below, I highly recomend checking it out, I think this guy is going to be special, much like our other Sooner.
    Sweed has the size but is faster, and has looked pretty darn good throughout his college career as well.

But, our biggest need is pass rush, and more specifically, a replacement/depth for Udeze at LDE.
    (Best Wishes for a Swift Recovery!!!)
    After that I'd look at which DTs have flown off the chart, cuz pressure from the middle would help too, and there might be some crossover to LDE.
    I'd consider Kenny Philips at S too...depth is needed, and an eventual replacement for Sharper, but, for this year, I like our starters being Darren and Madieu, so it may make more sense to grab a couple of S later...like Jamar Adams, Craig Steltz, and/or Zbikowiski for example, with our thirds, or maybe even fourth...they'll most likely be learning from the bench for a year anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9W7nTi4JFQ

Hands?
    Check out the 2 or 3 catches starting around 2:02 in.
    Leaps up and one hands a catch that is high and behind him!
    That is the kind of WR that makes his QB look a lot more accurate.
    I know, its highlights, but the sheer number of them is staggering.
    Most of these type of videos show the same play over and over from different angles...there is only a few replayed in this one (I noticed 1).

Back to Merling for a sec, he's listed at 276, so a mere 5 lbs would put him into the 280s.
    That is pretty close, and I think the young 20's is where people tend to fill out, so it may happen naturally.
    OK, my friend, you've convinced me.
    I swapped Merling for Campbell and have Campbell going to the Titans at 24 and Merling to us at 17.

1 Dolphins Chris Long, DE
    2 Rams Jake Long, OT
    3 Falcons Glen Dorsey, DT
    4 Raiders Darren McFadden, RB
    5 Chiefs Cedric Ellist, DT
    6 Jets Vernon Gholston, DE
    7 Patriots(49ers) Ryan Clady, OT
    8 Ravens Matt Ryan, QB
    9 Bengals Derrick Harvey, DE
    10 Saints Keith Rivers, LB
    11 Bills Malcomb Kelly, WR
    12 Broncos DeSean Jackson, WR
    13 Panthers Johnathan Stewart, RB
    14 Bears Brian Brohm, QB
    15 Lions Dan Conner, LB
    16 Cardinals Mike Jenkins, CB
    17 Vikings Phillip Merling , DE
    18 Texans Rashard Mendenhall, RB
    19 Eagles Jeff Otah, OT
    20 Buccaneers Aqip Talib, CB
    21 Redskins Kenny Phillips, S
    22 Cowboys (Browns) Early Doucet, WR
    23 Steelers Brandon Albert, OG
    24 Titans Calais Campbell, DE
    25 Seahawks James Hardy, WR
    26 Jaguars Leodis McKelvin, CB
    27 Chargers Chris Williams, OT
    28 Cowboys Felix Jones, RB
    29 49'rs (Colts) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
    30 Packers Antoine Cason, CB
    31 Patriots Forfiet
    32 Giants Anthony Collins, OT
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mjuaire is offline Rookie

So what about my Devin Thomas Selection at the 48 spot????
    his bio didn't do enough to convince you there??? lol

j/k
    I would be good with Merling there, i'm liking what i'm reading as well.
    Still would rather have Harvey...sorry. If he's there obviously.
    peas and carrots I suppose.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    I'm with you on WR to some extent, I just think that the signing of Berrian pushes it down the need list a bit.
    I would love to see us land Malcolm or Limas!!
    Kelly's hands/concentration in traffic is phenomenol!
    If any of you haven't seen the highlight video below, I highly recomend checking it out, I think this guy is going to be special, much like our other Sooner.
    Sweed has the size but is faster, and has looked pretty darn good throughout his college career as well.

But, our biggest need is pass rush, and more specifically, a replacement/depth for Udeze at LDE.
    (Best Wishes for a Swift Recovery!!!)
    After that I'd look at which DTs have flown off the chart, cuz pressure from the middle would help too, and there might be some crossover to LDE.
    I'd consider Kenny Philips at S too...depth is needed, and an eventual replacement for Sharper, but, for this year, I like our starters being Darren and Madieu, so it may make more sense to grab a couple of S later...like Jamar Adams, Craig Steltz, and/or Zbikowiski for example, with our thirds, or maybe even fourth...they'll most likely be learning from the bench for a year anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9W7nTi4JFQ

Hands?
    Check out the 2 or 3 catches starting around 2:02 in.
    Leaps up and one hands a catch that is high and behind him!
    That is the kind of WR that makes his QB look a lot more accurate.
    I know, its highlights, but the sheer number of them is staggering.
    Most of these type of videos show the same play over and over from different angles...there is only a few replayed in this one (I noticed 1).

Back to Merling for a sec, he's listed at 276, so a mere 5 lbs would put him into the 280s.
    That is pretty close, and I think the young 20's is where people tend to fill out, so it may happen naturally.
    Yup.
    I was in love with Sweed's physically presence but I saw that video about a month back and fell in love with Kelly. Reportedly, he's faster than sweed.

"mjuaire" wrote:
    So what about my Devin Thomas Selection at the 48 spot????
    his bio didn't do enough to convince you there??? lol

j/k
    I would be good with Merling there, i'm liking what i'm reading as well.
    Still would rather have Harvey...sorry. If he's there obviously.
    peas and carrots I suppose.
    I haven't got past the Vikes second pick.

33 Dolphins Sam Baker, OT
    34 Rams Quenton Groves, OLB/DE
    35 Raiders Kentwan Balmer, DT
    36 Chiefs Reggie Smith, CB/S
    37 Falcons Chad Henne, QB
    38 Jets Mario Manningham, WR
    39 Ravens Ali Highsmith, OLB
    40 49ers Xavier Adibi, OLB
    41 Saints Fred Davis, TE
    42 Bills Andre Caldwell, WR
    43 Broncos Pat Sims, DT
    44 Panthers Lawrence Jackson, DE
    45 Bears Limas Sweed, WR
    46 Lions Trevor Laws, DT
    47 Bengals Tracy Porter, CB
    48 Vikings

Based on who has come off the board I have the following options that make sense/BPA.

Curtis Lofton ILB
    Martellus Bennett TE
    Mike Pollak C
    Erin Henderson OLB
    Devin Thomas WR
    Gosder Cherilus OT
    Joe Flacco QB

Basically I like all of them, I just don't see them taking any of them right now. With Rufus coming back I am leaning towards discounting them taking a LB, I am sold that Dan Mozes is the next C and am not sure they will take a WR that high this season what with Rice and Allison on the roster for youth and the signing of Berrian.

That leaves Cherilus and Flacco.
    ;D

;D

Before I put a mock in for that I need to scrub all the picks (again) from 1 to 48 to make sure someone else doesn't slip into our mitts.

My guess is that if the draft went according to Marrdro, they would take Cherilus over Flacco.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

If it's LDE we're drafting, I'd prefer Merling to Campbell, due to his stats in college (if he's able to stop that many plays for a loss, I imagine he'd be able to disrupt the pass pretty respectably, too).

But here's my question for you knowledgable PP.O'ers:
    if both Harvey AND Merling are available, who would be the better guy for us to draft?

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"BBQ" wrote:
    If it's LDE we're drafting, I'd prefer Merling to Campbell, due to his stats in college (if he's able to stop that many plays for a loss, I imagine he'd be able to disrupt the pass pretty respectably, too).

if both Harvey AND Merling are available, who would be the better guy for us to draft?
    Trick question, we trade our first round pick for a backup player from the Eagles.

"BBQ" wrote:

See there is the rub.
    That would mean that they believe that guys like Edwards, Robison, James aren't gonna get it done with respect to sacks, and a rookie would.

I just can't get myself to believe that they would put more value on him than a LDE in the 1rst round.

If I am wrong and they do take a situational pass rusher (Harvey) and then take a LDE later, then they would have to be planning on getting someone else in a later round (i.e 3rd/4th) like Lanford or Johnston.

Langford
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=56382

Johnston
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=68159

mjuaire is offline Rookie

Yeah well, It's hard to go working with picking up OT's in the draft so it would be a logical selection for us.
    I just love Thomas, I think he's a better overall receiver prosepect that Rice.
    Not as long, but much more physical.
    I see him being able to run after the catch better (WCO) and run more a variety of routes sucessfully than Rice.
    But ultimately a great compliment to our guys with a little more physical a presence.

lol, no more eagles please unless it's Donovan McNabb.

I would take Harvey, as I've said a number of times.
    IMHO, his physical gifts, (size, speed, length) along with his production at the highest level, lead me in this direction.
    I hate it when opposing QB's can sit and play with themselves for as long as they want back there in the pocket.
    I think this does the best job of stopping that from happening both this year and more so for the next year and after.
    to have a great pass rusher makes our D better instantly (if he can produce) and makes opposing O's gameplan for it.
    My take anyway

people may disagree but i think it's like peas and carrots here, and I go with the carrot. (get it tall and lean = Harvey)
    good pick either way I feel

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"Schutz" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

Trick question, we trade our first round pick for a backup player from the Eagles.
    Let me guess... The back up player you are hoping to get is Andy Reid?
    :P

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

See there is the rub.
    That would mean that they believe that guys like Edwards, Robison, James aren't gonna get it done with respect to sacks, and a rookie would.

I just can't get myself to believe that they would put more value on him than a LDE in the 1rst round.

If I am wrong and they do take a situational pass rusher (Harvey) and then take a LDE later, then they would have to be planning on getting someone else in a later round (i.e 3rd/4th) like Lanford or Johnston.

Langford
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=56382

Johnston
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...php?pyid=68159
    Good analysis, Marrdro.
    Count me in for the Phillip Merling crowd, then.
    Those other prospects look pretty solid, too, though.
    (Not as solid as Merling, obviously).

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast