Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    mjuaire is offline Rookie

Re: Vikings - Mock Madness

I'm not against that Marr, but the ability to "push and pull" on the D-line has a lot to do with upper body strength and 16 reps is poor for someone who is at 290.
    I know h'es 6-7 and with long arms it's harder but Harvey has freakishly long arms and had a lot more reps on the bench.

Obviously it's not all it's cracked up to be (the combine) but there are a few things you would like to get out of it.
    I thought Gholston was a top 10 pick regardless...his combine may have just moved him up to the top 5.
    Either way he is a stud and is going to be a top 10.
    Campbell's projections have been all over the board and I don't think that's a good sign.

I agree, and I also like what Campbell did on the field but I'm worried that his weight along with a few other things will lead him away from the DE position and I think we need people who will be there for a while to help us in that position.
    I may be inclined to go OT if we're faced with either or at that #17 pick

I was talking about the previously mentioned Devin Thomas from MSU, not Manningham, FYI.

Dang, can I get in your draft pool Marr?????
    that sounds like too much fun.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=56764

These guys have a nice summary that includes stats, awards, games played...lots of info in one quick paragraph.
    Campbell may have the size for LDE, but it says there that he started at RDE.
    And, frankly, only 16 reps worries me a bit, but, it is harder to bench with long arms (further to push).

My top pick for the Vikes is Merling from Clemson.
    They've got him ranked third, behind Long and Gholston.
    Of the top DEs, hes the only one that I'm seeing played mostly on the left side.
    On NFL Network yesterday, (I think it was Mayock) said he was the best DE in the draft at the point of attack, and although not the best pass rusher, probably the best all around DE.
    I love this stat, so I'll quote it again.

2007...in 51 running plays he was involved in, he held his opponent to -8 yards!
    Add to that, 78 tackles, 51 solo, 7 sacks, 21 QB pressures, 17 stops for loss, caused 2 fumbles, recovered another, and deflected 1 pass...not a bad year!!
    *Reading further down, says he won't be able to participate in any proday drills due to surgery on a sports hernia...I think thats a pretty mild injury, that should be totally healed by Training Camp...?*

Here is how they rank the DEs

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DE&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos &order=ASC
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"mountainviking" wrote:

These guys have a nice summary that includes stats, awards, games played...lots of info in one quick paragraph.
    And, frankly, only 16 reps worries me a bit, but, it is harder to bench with long arms (further to push).

Of the top DEs, hes the only one that I'm seeing played mostly on the left side.
    On NFL Network yesterday, (I think it was Mayock) said he was the best DE in the draft at the point of attack, and although not the best pass rusher, probably the best all around DE.

2007...in 51 running plays he was involved in, he held his opponent to -8 yards!
    Add to that, 78 tackles, 51 solo, 7 sacks, 21 QB pressures, 17 stops for loss, caused 2 fumbles, recovered another, and deflected 1 pass...not a bad year!!
    *Reading further down, says he won't be able to participate in any proday drills due to surgery on a sports hernia...I think thats a pretty mild injury, that should be totally healed by Training Camp...?*

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DE&draftyear=2008&sortby=tsxpos &order=ASC
    am i blind or did they totally forget to put quentin groves on there

http://auburn.scout.com/a.z?s=6&p=8&c=1&nid=3044732

theres the scout.com profile on him... runs a 4.43?!?!?!

Thanks josdin00

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"tb04512" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

No, you just didn't look thoroughly.. they've listed him as an outside linebacker most likely bc hes best suited for a team that runs a 3-4 scheme...

Interesting.
    Good point.
    I found him at No.2 on their OLB list...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=OLB&draftyear=2008&sortorder=ts xpos&order=ASC

Says most teams are looking at him as an rushing OLB in a 3-4 because of his explosion and quickness.
    But, an "injury riddled" year last year...

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"mjuaire" wrote:
    Agreed Marr.
    I guess I wouldn't be angry with any of those picks, however, I would be most happy with Harvey, followed by Malcolm Kelly.

My rankings for the picks mentioned are as follows: (this could be a fun game)

1. Derrick Harvey
    2. Malcolm Kelly
    3. Chris Williams
    4. TIE Calais Campbell
    5. TIE Limas Sweed

My reasoning is that Harvey is the passing rushing physical freak we so desperately need.
    Kelly is a freak as well and would be great for T-jack.
    OT is never a bad pick and we should be in the market for one.
    I'm worried about Campbell's motivation expecially with about 10 mil in guaranteed money...also while he could fill in well at LDE..i'm worried when he gets to 310 he will not and we NEED DE's!!
    Limas Sweed could be a stud, but in the battle between he and Kelly I'll take kelly...

Again, there isn't any Troy Williamson or Erasmus James here (i hope) so i'd be alright to a degree with any of these
    I kinda think Limas and Malcom are very similar when it comes to ability.
    I think malcom wins out bc he wasn't hurt last year.. but Limas has the potential to do great things...

what i don't understand, is as bad as our offense was last year.. and us only signing Berrian and Hicks.. why we need to do soo much drafting on the defensive side of the ball instead of looking at a receiver.
    I know we have young guys, but the more the merrier and we were pretty good on defense last time i checked.. and crappy on offense so what gives??

I'd really like us to go DE, i understand the LDE vs RDE, but regardless, we need a guy that can rush the passer.. IKcare what side he rushes from... we're stout against the run.. even if we dropped a few slots, we'd be much better and well served to get a pass rushing end or even a OLB that can put his hand on the ground and go after the QB.. ala Terrell Suggs who everybody on here wanted.. Well, his clone is Quentin Groves...

I'd be happy with alot of those guys.. as long as we get a pass rush... but we need another receiver just as bad... BB is good, but he doesnt significantly upgrade our offense like we need it to be.. we need another receiver...and most of the mocks don't even have us taking a receiver in the draft at all....

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:

Great post my friend.
    I love that site you provided the link to.

I do like Merling, I guess my biggest issue with him is the fact that he is a bit light. Probably a bit ticky tacky, but I really hate to see guys add too much wieght (even though most do) when they move up to the next level.

On a side note, I assume he could add a few more lbs and still keep some of that quickness, as his 40 time was pretty decent.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mjuaire is offline Rookie

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "mjuaire" wrote:
    Agreed Marr.
    I guess I wouldn't be angry with any of those picks, however, I would be most happy with Harvey, followed by Malcolm Kelly.

My rankings for the picks mentioned are as follows: (this could be a fun game)

1. Derrick Harvey
    2. Malcolm Kelly
    3. Chris Williams
    4. TIE Calais Campbell
    5. TIE Limas Sweed

My reasoning is that Harvey is the passing rushing physical freak we so desperately need.
    Kelly is a freak as well and would be great for T-jack.
    OT is never a bad pick and we should be in the market for one.
    I'm worried about Campbell's motivation expecially with about 10 mil in guaranteed money...also while he could fill in well at LDE..i'm worried when he gets to 310 he will not and we NEED DE's!!
    Limas Sweed could be a stud, but in the battle between he and Kelly I'll take kelly...

Again, there isn't any Troy Williamson or Erasmus James here (i hope) so i'd be alright to a degree with any of these
    I kinda think Limas and Malcom are very similar when it comes to ability.
    I think malcom wins out bc he wasn't hurt last year.. but Limas has the potential to do great things...

what i don't understand, is as bad as our offense was last year.. and us only signing Berrian and Hicks.. why we need to do soo much drafting on the defensive side of the ball instead of looking at a receiver.
    I know we have young guys, but the more the merrier and we were pretty good on defense last time i checked.. and crappy on offense so what gives??

I'd really like us to go DE, i understand the LDE vs RDE, but regardless, we need a guy that can rush the passer.. IKcare what side he rushes from... we're stout against the run.. even if we dropped a few slots, we'd be much better and well served to get a pass rushing end or even a OLB that can put his hand on the ground and go after the QB.. ala Terrell Suggs who everybody on here wanted.. Well, his clone is Quentin Groves...

I'd be happy with alot of those guys.. as long as we get a pass rush... but we need another receiver just as bad... BB is good, but he doesnt significantly upgrade our offense like we need it to be.. we need another receiver...and most of the mocks don't even have us taking a receiver in the draft at all....
    I'm with you for sure.
    If I had my say, I would go DE in the 1st and WR in the 2nd.
    Both positions need lots of help, and depth/talent at the WR position can only help another position we need to improve at too...QB.
    obviously we need depth in other places, and those needs will be addressed, but I would certainly agree that our passing game needs to improve and the main problem is the WR's and QB.
    So adding a WR can help the QB without throwing it all to the wind and drafting a QB.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"tb04512" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

Some of the boards project him as a OLB/DE (3-4) fit, because of his weight and how fast he is.

Quentin Groves Auburn 6-3 259 4.57
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I'm with you on WR to some extent, I just think that the signing of Berrian pushes it down the need list a bit.
    I would love to see us land Malcolm or Limas!!
    Kelly's hands/concentration in traffic is phenomenol!
    If any of you haven't seen the highlight video below, I highly recomend checking it out, I think this guy is going to be special, much like our other Sooner.
    Sweed has the size but is faster, and has looked pretty darn good throughout his college career as well.

But, our biggest need is pass rush, and more specifically, a replacement/depth for Udeze at LDE.
    (Best Wishes for a Swift Recovery!!!)
    After that I'd look at which DTs have flown off the chart, cuz pressure from the middle would help too, and there might be some crossover to LDE.
    I'd consider Kenny Philips at S too...depth is needed, and an eventual replacement for Sharper, but, for this year, I like our starters being Darren and Madieu, so it may make more sense to grab a couple of S later...like Jamar Adams, Craig Steltz, and/or Zbikowiski for example, with our thirds, or maybe even fourth...they'll most likely be learning from the bench for a year anyway.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=T9W7nTi4JFQ

Hands?
    Check out the 2 or 3 catches starting around 2:02 in.
    Leaps up and one hands a catch that is high and behind him!
    That is the kind of WR that makes his QB look a lot more accurate.
    I know, its highlights, but the sheer number of them is staggering.
    Most of these type of videos show the same play over and over from different angles...there is only a few replayed in this one (I noticed 1).

Back to Merling for a sec, he's listed at 276, so a mere 5 lbs would put him into the 280s.
    That is pretty close, and I think the young 20's is where people tend to fill out, so it may happen naturally.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast