Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings - Mock Madness

[size=13pt]Mock Madness[/size]

3/11/2008

By Mike Wobschall, vikings.com

The month of March is upon us and for sports fans everywhere that typically means one thing – March Madness! Yes, the days of bursting bubbles and braiin-boggling brackets are here, but there is anther type of “madness” going on as well.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings - Mock Madness

Thanks for the read my friend.

Although I find it interesting with respect to who they think we will draft, I wish they would give us the mock drafts that these fellas did as well, so that we could see how a certain player fell to us.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mjuaire is offline Rookie

Agreed Marr.
    I guess I wouldn't be angry with any of those picks, however, I would be most happy with Harvey, followed by Malcolm Kelly.

My rankings for the picks mentioned are as follows: (this could be a fun game)

1. Derrick Harvey
    2. Malcolm Kelly
    3. Chris Williams
    4. TIE Calais Campbell
    5. TIE Limas Sweed

My reasoning is that Harvey is the passing rushing physical freak we so desperately need.
    Kelly is a freak as well and would be great for T-jack.
    OT is never a bad pick and we should be in the market for one.
    I'm worried about Campbell's motivation expecially with about 10 mil in guaranteed money...also while he could fill in well at LDE..i'm worried when he gets to 310 he will not and we NEED DE's!!
    Limas Sweed could be a stud, but in the battle between he and Kelly I'll take kelly...

Again, there isn't any Troy Williamson or Erasmus James here (i hope) so i'd be alright to a degree with any of these

"mjuaire" wrote:
    Agreed Marr.
    I guess I wouldn't be angry with any of those picks, however, I would be most happy with Harvey, followed by Malcolm Kelly.

1. Derrick Harvey
    2. Malcolm Kelly
    3. Chris Williams
    4. TIE Calais Campbell
    5. TIE Limas Sweed

My reasoning is that Harvey is the passing rushing physical freak we so desperately need.
    I'm worried about Campbell's motivation expecially with about 10 mil in guaranteed money...also while he could fill in well at LDE..i'm worried when he gets to 310 he will not and we NEED DE's!!
    Limas Sweed could be a stud, but in the battle between he and Kelly I'll take kelly...

Again, there isn't any Troy Williamson or Erasmus James here (i hope) so i'd be alright to a degree with any of these
    You know, I like the way you ranked them, however, I kindof disagree on degree of need right now.

I am onboard with the need for a RDE to get us double digit sacks next year but I don't think a rookie is gonna come in and do that for us.
    My belief is a Vet is the only way to get that done.

With that said, I really don't like to many of the RDE out there in the FA market right now and by what I am seeing from the Front Office Pukes, it appears they don't either.
    Probably a safe assumption that they believe our RDE issues will be solved by one of the guys (Edwards/Robison/James) currently on the roster.

Back to the need.
    I see us needing help at LDE more than I do RDE.
    With only Mitchell currently on the roster and no sign of any signings to give us depth, it appears that we need to select one of them critters in the draft.

If we go to the BPA approach, they will probably have thier choice of two LDE's at 17 but it seems alot of people on here feel those guys aren't a viable option.
    Maybe, just maybe, they go with S or another position at 17 based on who is there.

Thats why I would love to see how the draft went ahead of us in the "Authors" mocks so that I could figure out if a Phillips or one of the stud OT's is there at 17.

Currently I have the draft going as follows in the first round with Phillips, Otah and Merling as possible candidates as well.........

1 Dolphins Chris Long, DE
    2 Rams Jake Long, OT
    3 Falcons Glen Dorsey, DT
    4 Raiders Darren McFadden, RB
    5 Chiefs Cedric Ellist, DT
    6 Jets Vernon Gholston, DE
    7 Patriots(49ers) Ryan Clady, OT
    8 Ravens Matt Ryan, QB
    9 Bengals Derrick Harvey, DE
    10 Saints Keith Rivers, LB
    11 Bills Malcomb Kelly, WR
    12 Broncos DeSean Jackson, WR
    13 Panthers Johnathan Stewart, RB
    14 Bears Brian Brohm, QB
    15 Lions Dan Conner, LB
    16 Cardinals Mike Jenkins, CB
    17 Vikings Calais Campbell, DE
    18 Texans Rashard Mendenhall, RB
    19 Eagles Jeff Otah, OT
    20 Buccaneers Aqip Talib, CB
    21 Redskins Kenny Phillips, S
    22 Cowboys (Browns) Early Doucet, WR
    23 Steelers Brandon Albert, OG
    24 Titans Phillip Merling , DE
    25 Seahawks James Hardy, WR
    26 Jaguars Leodis McKelvin, CB
    27 Chargers Chris Williams, OT
    28 Cowboys Felix Jones, RB
    29 49'rs (Colts) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB
    30 Packers Antoine Cason, CB
    31 Patriots Forfiet
    32 Giants Anthony Collins, OT

Still struggling with my second pick at the Vikings.
    When I look at who is available I just don't see anyone I like here.
    I am tempted to plug in one of the following:
    Curtis Lofton (ILB)
    Martellus Bennett TE
    Mike Pollack C
    Erin Henderson OLB
    Gosder Cherilus OT (I think he will go higher and the other OT will slip down).

Round 2 Pick
    33 Dolphins Sam Baker, OT
    34 Rams Quenton Groves, OLB/DE
    35 Raiders Kentwan Balmer, DT
    36 Chiefs Reggie Smith, CB/S
    37 Falcons Chad Henne, QB
    38 Jets Mario Manningham, WR
    39 Ravens Ali Highsmith, OLB
    40 49ers Xavier Adibi, OLB
    41 Saints Fred Davis, TE
    42 Bills Andre Caldwell, WR
    43 Broncos Pat Sims, DT
    44 Panthers Lawrence Jackson, DE
    45 Bears Limas Sweed, WR
    46 Lions Trevor Laws, DT
    47 Bengals Tracy Porter, CB
    48 Vikings

As I've said alot lately.
    This draft has been the hardest one for me to get straight in my head.
    Alot of teams have resigned thier stud players or at least franchised them and are drafting for depth in most cases.
    That really makes it hard to project what they are gonna take based on thier needs.

Here is a interesting link with some stuff on team needs, what the teams have done in FA to meet those needs etc.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/te...draftyear=2008
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

First, let me help you with that pick at 48:
    The WR from Michigan State...forget the name, forgive me

I feel your thoughts Marr, obviously we jut disagree a little, and that's fine because none of these choices are BAD.
    I like Harvey because I think he will help us this year, and improve our team a little, but mostly because i think the upside is sky high.
    He is a similar player to a Javon Kearse and i love the athleticism especially since we've not had that at that position ever. (Maybe Chris Doleman...)

Other than that, i'm on board with what they feel is right, because, as I've said in the past, this regime has not let us down with it's scouting and decisions.

It would be nice to see how they got to these selections but as we know, anything can happen in this thing, ie Brady Quinn.
    But my rankings were obviously if that player was available who would I want first type of thing.
    I'm not against BPA either as a general order.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"mjuaire" wrote:
    Charles Rogers?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "mjuaire" wrote:
    Charles Rogers?

=Z=
    LOL, that would be a "no" my friend...and thank Purple Jesus for that.
    Devin Thomas is his name and below is his bio:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=12247&draftyear=2008

"mjuaire" wrote:

I feel your thoughts Marr, obviously we jut disagree a little, and that's fine because none of these choices are BAD.
    I like Harvey because I think he will help us this year, and improve our team a little, but mostly because i think the upside is sky high.
    He is a similar player to a Javon Kearse and i love the athleticism especially since we've not had that at that position ever. (Maybe Chris Doleman...)

Other than that, i'm on board with what they feel is right, because, as I've said in the past, this regime has not let us down with it's scouting and decisions.

It would be nice to see how they got to these selections but as we know, anything can happen in this thing, ie Brady Quinn.
    But my rankings were obviously if that player was available who would I want first type of thing.
    I'm not against BPA either as a general order.
    I like Harvey as well but I submit this mock for money.....
    A little office pool we do.
    Made $85 bucks last year.
    ;D

Anyway, I really base my picks in the first round off of need for most of the teams.
    Best guess of course.
    I just don't see a RDE as more of a need as LDE.

I do think that the staff might address both end positions this year in the draft and they could take a guy like Harvey at 17 (if available) and then take a LDE guy at 4 or 5.

By the way, I think you mean Manningham I have him going to the Jets at 38.
    Jets
    Mario Manningham, WR

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"mjuaire" wrote:
    Agreed Marr.

1. Derrick Harvey
    2. Malcolm Kelly
    3. Chris Williams
    4. TIE Calais Campbell
    5. TIE Limas Sweed

Hrmm that is an interesting point you bring up that I did not notice before.
    I have seen Campbell listed at 280lbs all along.
    Now at the combine and his pro day he weighs in at 290.
    I am not sure if this is a sign of a lack of motivation or if that is his real playing weight.
    Putting on 10lbs and only putting up 16 reps in the 225 bench press gives me reservations.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "mjuaire" wrote:
    Agreed Marr.

1. Derrick Harvey
    2. Malcolm Kelly
    3. Chris Williams
    4. TIE Calais Campbell
    5. TIE Limas Sweed

Hrmm that is an interesting point you bring up that I did not notice before.
    I have seen Campbell listed at 280lbs all along.
    Now at the combine and his pro day he weighs in at 290.
    I am not sure if this is a sign of a lack of motivation or if that is his real playing weight.
    Putting on 10lbs and only putting up 16 reps in the 225 bench press gives me reservations.
    I got off his bandwagon a bit as well after the combine but again, I think players stock slips a bit or rises a bit based on workout numbers after the combines.

Look at how high Gohlston has jumped since he jumped 6" higher and ran a bit faster. Does that make him a better player or is it nothing more than going to the right pre-combine training facility to ensure you have some good workout numbers in shorts?

Could be a motivation issue or it could be that his agent thought he would get more interest if he was carrying a bit more wieght.
    Again, I don't put much stock in combine numbers.

I still like what he did on the field and think with the right team he will be a special player at the LDE position.

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_...s-campbell.htm

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast