Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Vikings mock draft by Skum

So ive been a little quiet during this offseason, im working to much..

However seems that i have a little time so let me do a Vikings mock draft..

Ok, so we have the following picks in the draft

* Round 1 (# 22)

* Round 2 (# 54)

* Round 3 (# 86)

* Round 5 (# 150)

* Round 7 (# 204)

* Round 7 (# 214)

And of course, every year picks get traded around and this year won't be different.. so take it for whats its worth its likely not gonna stick

Round 1 #22

The Vikings select cornerback Vontae Davis from the University of Illinois

- Dont get caught up with the signing of Karl Paymah, seems like a depth corner at best with special teams ability, Sapp got re-signed and those if Davis is picked will have to fight for the 4-5th roster spot

Davis is a quick and while being 5-11, 203 he is also very physical. He has kick and punt return experience from college. Would seem like a good fit for a zone-cover scheme that the Vikings run.

Round 2 #54

The Vikings select offensive tackle Phil Loadholt from the University of Oklahoma

- The Vikings is yet to adress to tackle problem on the right-side of the line, where Ryan Cook has turned out to be average at best.

Loadholt is huge at 6-8, 332 and can eventually turn out to be a left tackle prospect but for starters he seems like a better fit on the right side, his size also gives him the oppotunity to be moved inside at guard, however his height might be a problem there.

Loadholt is also set to visit with the Vikes.

Round 3 #86

The Vikings selet wide reciever Louis Murphy from the University of Florida.

- Sidney Rice had a bad year and Aundrae Allison couldnt stay on the field this year, Vikings might be looking for a wideout in this years draft.

Murphy is very quick and has impressed at Florida during his years there, while being in the shadow of standout Percy Harvin, Murphy has had an impact on the championship Gators, during his junior and senior year he had at least one catch in each game played. While have limited experience on kick returns his speed makes him an obvious candidate.

Round 5 #150

The Vikings select outside linebacker Kaluka Maiava from the University of Southern California.

-The Vikings have limited depth without Dontarrious Thomas and Napoleon Harris coming back, Heath Farwell can fill in at all 3 linebacker spots however more than 1 player is needed to backup 3 linebackers.

Kaluka Maiava started his senior season at linebacker and earned defensive MVP honours in the Rose Bowl vs Penn State.

Playing at USC Maiava will be used to a high speed defense and has a knack for reading QB eyes and getting key pass deflections and knockdowns.

Also a very good special teams performer who can help out if Farwell gets time at linebacker this year.

Round 7 #204

The Vikings select runningback Devin Moore from the University of Wyoming

- With Maurice Hicks out of the roster and hole at runningback has opened

Moore is a super quick runner, had a super pro day who pushed him into the draft, he lacks size and therefore also ability to pick up the blitz, he will likely never be a feature back in the NFL but can be a change of speed guy, he also has return ability. First-team All-Mountain West performer.

Round 7 #215

The Vikings select fullback Brennan Southerland from the University of Georgia

- The Vikings have lacked a key fullback since Tony Richardson left, Tahi has filled in after the Tapeh experiment didnt work out, however Tahi has been incosistent and does not run the ball either.

Southerland is a tough kid who had his senior season spoiled by an injury, however he is regarded as one of the best blockers in the nation, Southerland also has experience catching the ball and filling in as a runner, likely on goal line situations.

Georgia team captain, excellent build and a hard worker during his career.

The End ;=)

Chime in guys..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings mock draft by Skum

"skum" wrote:
    So ive been a little quiet during this offseason, im working to much..

However seems that i have a little time so let me do a Vikings mock draft..

Ok, so we have the following picks in the draft

* Round 1 (# 22)

* Round 2 (# 54)

* Round 3 (# 86)

* Round 5 (# 150)

* Round 7 (# 204)

* Round 7 (# 214)

And of course, every year picks get traded around and this year won't be different.. so take it for whats its worth its likely not gonna stick

Round 1 #22

- Dont get caught up with the signing of Karl Paymah, seems like a depth corner at best with special teams ability, Sapp got re-signed and those if Davis is picked will have to fight for the 4-5th roster spot

Davis is a quick and while being 5-11, 203 he is also very physical. He has kick and punt return experience from college. Would seem like a good fit for a zone-cover scheme that the Vikings run.

Round 2 #54

The Vikings select offensive tackle Phil Loadholt from the University of Oklahoma

- The Vikings is yet to adress to tackle problem on the right-side of the line, where Ryan Cook has turned out to be average at best.

Loadholt is huge at 6-8, 332 and can eventually turn out to be a left tackle prospect but for starters he seems like a better fit on the right side, his size also gives him the oppotunity to be moved inside at guard, however his height might be a problem there.

Loadholt is also set to visit with the Vikes.

Round 3 #86

The Vikings selet wide reciever Louis Murphy from the University of Florida.

- Sidney Rice had a bad year and Aundrae Allison couldnt stay on the field this year, Vikings might be looking for a wideout in this years draft.

Murphy is very quick and has impressed at Florida during his years there, while being in the shadow of standout Percy Harvin, Murphy has had an impact on the championship Gators, during his junior and senior year he had at least one catch in each game played. While have limited experience on kick returns his speed makes him an obvious candidate.

Round 5 #150

The Vikings select outside linebacker Kaluka Maiava from the University of Southern California.

-The Vikings have limited depth without Dontarrious Thomas and Napoleon Harris coming back, Heath Farwell can fill in at all 3 linebacker spots however more than 1 player is needed to backup 3 linebackers.

Kaluka Maiava started his senior season at linebacker and earned defensive MVP honours in the Rose Bowl vs Penn State.

Playing at USC Maiava will be used to a high speed defense and has a knack for reading QB eyes and getting key pass deflections and knockdowns.

Also a very good special teams performer who can help out if Farwell gets time at linebacker this year.

Round 7 #204

The Vikings select runningback Devin Moore from the University of Wyoming

- With Maurice Hicks out of the roster and hole at runningback has opened

Moore is a super quick runner, had a super pro day who pushed him into the draft, he lacks size and therefore also ability to pick up the blitz, he will likely never be a feature back in the NFL but can be a change of speed guy, he also has return ability. First-team All-Mountain West performer.

Round 7 #215

The Vikings select fullback Brennan Southerland from the University of Georgia

- The Vikings have lacked a key fullback since Tony Richardson left, Tahi has filled in after the Tapeh experiment didnt work out, however Tahi has been incosistent and does not run the ball either.

Southerland is a tough kid who had his senior season spoiled by an injury, however he is regarded as one of the best blockers in the nation, Southerland also has experience catching the ball and filling in as a runner, likely on goal line situations.

Georgia team captain, excellent build and a hard worker during his career.

The End ;=)

Chime in guys..
    nice draft.. i wouldn't be mad about this draft at all.. however, I'd rather do one of two things... either go WR in the first and CB in the 3rd...

or

OT in the first, WR in the second, and CB in the third...

i think WR and OT are far more pressing needs than corner at this point...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Not much I can disagree with as all of those picks (at least by position) make sense.

Couple of thoughts though....

a.
    You didn't address DT?
    Doesn't it concern you that we don't have alot of depth there and Phat Pat is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    My guess is they will burn a pick on this position someplace.

b. Like that your going LB'r but my guess that it will be a MLB kindof guy.
    We really saw how skinny we were at that position when we had a couple of injuries there.

c.
    Like that you addressed RB.
    CT's future is unclear as well as the hole you mentioned.
    Because of that, they might take someone a bit higher than were you have them going.

d.
    I hope Loadholt is still there that late in the second.
    My guess is that he won't and the FO feels that way as well.
    Might be why they are having him in for a visit.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Not much I can disagree with as all of those picks (at least by position) make sense.

a.
    You didn't address DT?
    Doesn't it concern you that we don't have alot of depth there and Phat Pat is getting a bit long in the tooth.

We really saw how skinny we were at that position when we had a couple of injuries there.

c.
    Because of that, they might take someone a bit higher than were you have them going.

d.
    Why do you keep saying that???.. anybody that has 4 guys injured at one position is going to have depth problems... we are good at MLB if anything we need an outside LB to replace Leber eventually...

we had David Herron, EJ, Cirucci and Farewell all get hurt who would have played in the middle that's 4 guys... no wonder we brought in other guys... i think we're good there.. considering all those guys except for farewell stepped in without a noticeable drop off...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    You didn't address DT?

c.

d.
    Why do you keep saying that???.. anybody that has 4 guys injured at one position is going to have depth problems... we are good at MLB if anything we need an outside LB to replace Leber eventually...

we had David Herron, EJ, Cirucci and Farewell all get hurt who would have played in the middle that's 4 guys... no wonder we brought in other guys... i think we're good there.. considering all those guys except for farewell stepped in without a noticeable drop off...
    Hmmmm, which one of those stellar young fella's do you want to start for EJ if he goes down next year?
    Besides, not all of them were injured at the same time.

At some point the staff decided we needed help at the MLB position.
    Kindof why I keep saying it...... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    You didn't address DT?

c.

d.
    a. Yes it concerns me very much, but we did re-sign Kennedy and we still have Evans on the squad.. Pat Williams is signed for 2 more seasons and he wont retire all of a sudden. We can still see whats out there in next years free agency or draft.

b. I think Farwell can play inside, if not Chad Greenway could do it - i think he did it a little bit at Iowa when Hodge didnt play. Leber is also versitile enough to play inside in my mind.

c. You're right, but Taylor will be here at least one season more, he is a key player for us, but his carries went way down this year and as Adrian progresses we might see even less playing time for Taylor.

d. If Loadholt is not there there are still guys like Jason Meredith and William Beatty around.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    You didn't address DT?

c.

d.

Hmmmm, which one of those stellar young fella's do you want to start for EJ if he goes down next year?
    Besides, not all of them were injured at the same time.

At some point the staff decided we needed help at the MLB position.
    Kindof why I keep saying it...... ;D
    actually they were.. farewell in pre-season.. then EJ with 4 games to go... then Herron was plugged in and he got hurt the very next game... IR

Then the next game cirruci was hurt, but during that week we brought in Napo.. and DT for special teams... but yes, they all got hurt at the same time..

plus, Herron was doing a good job until he was hurt... no drop off... and besides, we still have Erin who will have an extra year under his belt...

WAIT!!

now that i'm looking at the stats, we probably need to bring in another guy... who can play all positions, bc your right.. behind EJ and farewell, we will prob need another guy... Herron is a st player..

so we both were right..
    ;D

"skum" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

a.
    You didn't address DT?

c.

d.
    a. Yes it concerns me very much, but we did re-sign Kennedy and we still have Evans on the squad.. Pat Williams is signed for 2 more seasons and he wont retire all of a sudden. We can still see whats out there in next years free agency or draft.

b. I think Farwell can play inside, if not Chad Greenway could do it - i think he did it a little bit at Iowa when Hodge didnt play. Leber is also versitile enough to play inside in my mind.

c. You're right, but Taylor will be here at least one season more, he is a key player for us, but his carries went way down this year and as Adrian progresses we might see even less playing time for Taylor.

d. If Loadholt is not there there are still guys like Jason Meredith and William Beatty around.

As always Skum, great stuff.

a.
    4 games is a lot of games to go with a short rotation at DT.
    Wish we had one more body.

b.
    I am not so sold on Heath as alot of people are on here.
    He does a nice job on ST's but if he had and value as a Mike someone would have given him a starting nod I think.
    Nice comment on Leber.
    Think he would fit but moving Chad inside would take a bit away from what he does back in the edge zone I think. Maybe Erin will step it up a bit this year as well.

c.
    Even though I push Singers button with respect to players teaching players, I'd like to see that kid get reps when CT is actually here.

d. Lots of depth on OL this year for sure.

On a side note, one day I want to see you attempt a 7 rounder.......Would love to see how you do with that one.
    Bet it would be very good.

Again, great stuff my friend.

Mattwaukee is offline Training Camp

Round 1 #22

one of the biggest knocks on davis was because of his inabilities in zone and losing sight of the ball..... ;D

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Mattwaukee" wrote:
    Round 1 #22

one of the biggest knocks on davis was because of his inabilities in zone and losing sight of the ball..... ;D
    I would rather have Smith.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast