Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings might have trouble getting a QB in 2nd rou

ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay projects the Vikings will take California defensive end Cameron Jordan with the 12th overall pick in this month's draft, making him one of many who feel Minnesota won't address its need for a quarterback in the first round.

On a conference call today, I asked McShay if he felt a quarterback would be available to the Vikings with the 43rd pick of the second round, if, indeed, the team passed on the position in the opening round. McShay didn't sound too confident there would be much left.

"From everyone you talk to and just the feeling you get with this quarterback class, there's going to be a run," McShay said. "Once the dominoes start to fall, there's going to be a lot of teams scrambling because they are counting on getting a quarterback, whether it's for this year or to start the developmental process for 2012. I just don't know how long they are going to last.

"Let's say Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton are off the board in the top 10, feel good about that. Then Jake Locker somewhere in the middle to the later portion of the first round is where he should go. Maybe he goes a little bit earlier because a team is fearful that he's not there and has fallen in love with him. But probably mid to late first round.
    Vikings might have trouble getting a QB in 2nd round
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

triedandtruevikesfan is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings might have trouble getting a QB in 2nd rou

I really can't see us picking up a DE if one of the top rated QB's are there. Just a couple more weeks to see how this all shakes out!!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

I would bet they take Locker if he's there. If not, then Julio Jones if he's there. If they are both gone, I see Tyron Smith in Purple.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

"Listening to McShay talk about how he expects the draft to unfold, he provides even more reason why if the Vikings are going to take a quarterback they will do so by trading back in the first round and in doing so recoup the third-round pick lost to New England in the Randy Moss trade.

My personal sense is that the target would be Locker, but perhaps the Vikings would try to drop later in the first round and take a guy like Ponder or Mallett, assuming the questions about his character have been answered."
    This right here is the crux of it for me. I have been saying all along that at #12 the Vikes don't love any of the QB's. So to move back later in the first and pick up a 3rd rounder would be the better option to me. I get that there may be a run on QB's thereby blowing my OL/DL pick in the first and getting our QB in rnd 2, so the above would be a way to maximize our draft.

Good Read!

Quote Originally Posted by "slavinator" #1093800
    "Listening to McShay talk about how he expects the draft to unfold, he provides even more reason why if the Vikings are going to take a quarterback they will do so by trading back in the first round and in doing so recoup the third-round pick lost to New England in the Randy Moss trade.

My personal sense is that the target would be Locker, but perhaps the Vikings would try to drop later in the first round and take a guy like Ponder or Mallett, assuming the questions about his character have been answered."
    This right here is the crux of it for me. I have been saying all along that at #12 the Vikes don't love any of the QB's. So to move back later in the first and pick up a 3rd rounder would be the better option to me. I get that there may be a run on QB's thereby blowing my OL/DL pick in the first and getting our QB in rnd 2, so the above would be a way to maximize our draft.

Good Read!
    But who would/will be the guy who moves up to 12 and what would have to be there for them to do it?

From my mock draft
    1 1. Carolina Baine Gabbert, QB
    2 2. Denver Marcel Dareus, DT
    3 3. Buffalo Cam Newton, QB
    4 4. Cincinnati A.J. Green, WR
    5 5. Arizona Von Miller, OLB/DE
    6 6. Cleveland DaQuan Bowers, DE
    7 7. San Francisco Patrick Peterson, CB
    8 8. Tennessee Nick Fairley, DT
    9 9. Dallas Prince Amukamara, CB
    10 10. Washington Julio Jones, WR
    11 11. Houston Robert Quin, DE
    12 12. Minnesota Jake Locker, QB
    13 13. Detroit Tyron Smith, OT
    14 14. St. Louis Akeem Ayers, OLB
    15 15. Miami Andrew Dalton, QB
    16 16. Jacksonville Ryan Kerrigan, DE/OLB
    17 17. New England (from OAK) J.J. Watt, DE
    18 18. San Diego Cam Jordan, DE
    19 19. New York Giants Gabe Carimi, OT
    20 20. Tampa Bay Aldon Smith, DE/OLB
    21 21. Kansas City Nate Solder, OT
    22 22. Indianapolis Anthony Castonzo, OT
    23 23. Philadelphia Mike Pouncey, C/OG
    24 24. New Orleans Corey Liguit, DT
    25 25. Seattle Christian Ponder, QB
    26 26. Baltimore Brandon Harris, CB
    27 27. Atlanta Cameron Heyward, DE
    28 28. New England Derek Sherrod, OT
    29 29. Chicago Phil Taylor, DT
    30 30. New York Jets Justin Houston, OLB/DE
    31 31. Pittsburgh Stefen Wisniewski, C/OG
    32 32. Green Bay Mark Ingram, RB
    QB? Vikes need one, BAD. If they don't think the cats at 12 have value there why would any other team.

WR? For the QB's to be there both WR's have to be gone.

CB? Same applies as the WR's.

DL. A glut of DE's in this draft so why move up when you can get one of about the same value as the guys the might be there at 12?

Again, sounds good to say that someone will trade up to our spot, but I just don't see it happening, unless of course something weird happens like 3 QB's go in the top 11 and one of the WR's or DB's slip to us (i.e Cincy takes a QB. The trickle down effect would then happen).

My guess, what with all the talk by Ricky boy about us being interested in taking a WR at 12, he seems to think that there might be 3 QB's taken and one of the WR's might slip to us.

Man would I love to see his board.......:woohoo:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I think we have to draft a QB and we have to draft him at 12.. Unless you wanna move up for Gabbert.. But given our situation with no pick in the 3rd and the uncertainty of the 2012 draft, i really doubt that..

I also think that trading back in the first round to select a quarterback sends a wrong message to him if you are gonna "hand" him to franchise after that..

Also the quarterback position is so very special, because no two quarterbacks are alike, in throwing motion in footwork and in personality.. You can't just take the next QB of the board if you miss..

Therefore i hope and think we go QB at 12..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1093899
    I think we have to draft a QB and we have to draft him at 12.. Unless you wanna move up for Gabbert.. But given our situation with no pick in the 3rd and the uncertainty of the 2012 draft, i really doubt that..

I also think that trading back in the first round to select a quarterback sends a wrong message to him if you are gonna "hand" him to franchise after that..

Also the quarterback position is so very special, because no two quarterbacks are alike, in throwing motion in footwork and in personality.. You can't just take the next QB of the board if you miss..

Unless your hoping to win the Kolb sweepstakes, I agree. If your sold on a guy you have to take him at 12.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093909

Unless your hoping to win the Kolb sweepstakes, I agree. If your sold on a guy you have to take him at 12.
    I don't think Kevin Kolb has much upside and so far he is proven nothing, so id rather roll the dice on a draftpick

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1093911
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093909

I don't think Kevin Kolb has much upside and so far he is proven nothing, so id rather roll the dice on a draftpick
    What?

He has had multiple years of NFL caliber coaching.
    He knows the scheme.
    Has thrown multiple 300 (3) yard games in limited starting opportunities.
    Has only had 2 games with multiple INT's.

Long story short, I like him over any of the rookies this year thats for sure.