singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings meet with Clemson QB Whitehurst

Posted on Wed, Apr. 12, 2006

[size=18px]Vikings meet with Clemson QB Whitehurst[/size]

Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. - The Minnesota Vikings had another college quarterback in for a predraft visit. They met with Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst at their Winter Park facility on Wednesday.

Whitehurst holds 40 school records, including yards passing, completions and touchdown passes. The son of former Green Bay Packers quarterback David Whitehurst, he had minor arthroscopic shoulder surgery about 3 1/2 weeks before the Tigers' win in the Champs Sports over Colorado.

The Vikings had Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler, a projected first-round pick, in for a visit Tuesday. Whitehurst is projected by most draft analysts to go in the third round. Coach Brad Childress has said the team is interested in drafting a young quarterback and developing him behind veteran Brad Johnson.

Vikings meet with Clemson QB Whitehurst

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings meet with Clemson QB Whitehurst

I would love to have him or jacobs if sims falls to us at 17

Posted on Thu, Apr. 13, 2006

[size=18px]Whitehurst latest audition[/size]

Alabama linebacker Ryans to visit Friday

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

The Vikings continued their search for a quarterback of the future Wednesday, as Clemson's Charlie Whitehurst visited Winter Park, but they aren't ignoring what most consider their No. 1 draft need.

Alabama's DeMeco Ryans, regarded as one of the top five or six linebackers in the April 29-30 draft, is scheduled to arrive in town today for a Friday visit.

A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, Ryans set a single-game school record as a sophomore with 25 tackles against Arkansas and was named the Southeastern Conference defensive player of the year as a senior. He also was a four-time SEC all-academic selection.

Because of his size (6 feet 1, 236 pounds), he may be best suited to playing weakside linebacker in the NFL and is projected to go anywhere from the lower half of the first round to the middle of the second.

The Vikings, who own the 17th selection of the first round, have no visits scheduled with leading linebacker prospects A.J. Hawk of Ohio State, who is expected to be a top-five pick, and Ernie Sims of Florida State.

Pre-draft visits aren't necessarily indicative of a team's interest in a player, but Ryans has met twice with New England, which picks 21st, and is scheduled to visit Washington and Detroit next week.

Whitehurst was the second quarterback to visit the Vikings, who entertained Vanderbilt's Jay Cutler on Tuesday and are scheduled to meet with Texas' Vince Young on Monday.

Cutler and Young are expected to be off the board before the 17th selection, but Vikings coach Brad Childress has mentioned the possibility of trading up in the first round.

Whitehurst, the son of former Green Bay quarterback David Whitehurst, is projected as a second- or third-round selection.

Johnstone to Oakland: Defensive end Lance Johnstone, an unrestricted free agent, agreed to terms with the Oakland Raiders on a two-year contract.

Johnstone, 32, had 41 sacks in five seasons with the Vikings, ranking 10th on the team's all-time list. That included a team-high 7½ sacks last season.

Agent Joel Segal confirmed the agreement but would not comment on how much interest the Vikings showed in re-signing Johnstone.

The 10-year veteran played his first five seasons in Oakland after joining the team in 1996 as a second-round draft choice.

Briefly: In a change of policy, the Vikings no longer are releasing the names of all players they have in for pre-draft visits, instead merely confirming whatever names a media member might have.

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Whitehurst latest audition

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I'm happy we are at least taking a look at Charlie, I've been saying all along that I'de like to see us pick him up with our second -- second round pick.

I think the kid will groom nicely into a WCO setting.

I still believe as stated before,Charlie is going to be a fine NFL QB and I even believe his name will be mentioned for some time to come, while one if not two of the top 3 rated QB's in the upcoming draft will turn out to be flops........Just watch and see....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

I knew you'd love that article Ned. I posted it with you in mind.

Jarlvik2006 is offline Rookie

I repeat:
    To quote Pro Football Weekly's analysis (rated him as 4th best QB prospect) "Downside: Played in simplified offense as a senior and did not make many NFL reads or throw vertically much. Has struggled to make progression reads and handle pressure in clutch situations. Failed to pull out victories in four close contests as a senior and could not finish. Played primarily in shotgun offense and will need to adjust to taking snaps under center. Not a great decision maker. Not very niftly footed and does not show lateral quickness when the pocket breaks down. Does not feel pressure well and needs time to throw. Has SMALL HANDS. Has had surgery on his throwing shoulder. Some scouts see him as a "finished product with bad habits".
    Does not sound to me like a prospect that Childress would consider right now. Lest we forget, his Dad was less than productive for the PACKERS.

IF we do pick him, I really hope PFW's analysis is wrong. :?:
    I m Watching You- You may not see me, you may not hear me, but I m watching you...

We've already had our small hands QB and he threw the ball on the ground WAY TOO MUCH. I still wouldn't mind having Whitehurst though. I think he has a ton of potential and would be worth a third rounder. Maybe even a second rounder depending on what QB's are still available when we pick in the 2nd.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Jarlvik2006" wrote:
    I repeat:
    To quote Pro Football Weekly's analysis (rated him as 4th best QB prospect) "Downside: Played in simplified offense as a senior and did not make many NFL reads or throw vertically much. Has struggled to make progression reads and handle pressure in clutch situations. Failed to pull out victories in four close contests as a senior and could not finish. Played primarily in shotgun offense and will need to adjust to taking snaps under center. Not a great decision maker. Not very niftly footed and does not show lateral quickness when the pocket breaks down. Does not feel pressure well and needs time to throw. Has SMALL HANDS. Has had surgery on his throwing shoulder. Some scouts see him as a "finished product with bad habits".
    Does not sound to me like a prospect that Childress would consider right now. Lest we forget, his Dad was less than productive for the PACKERS.

IF we do pick him, I really hope PFW's analysis is wrong. :?:

They rated him as the 4th best prospect, what does that say about the other QB's in the draft?

Trade for Schaub!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "Jarlvik2006" wrote:
    I repeat
    To quote Pro Football Weekly's analysis (rated him as 4th best QB prospect) "Downside Played in simplified offense as a senior and did not make many NFL reads or throw vertically much. Has struggled to make progression reads and handle pressure in clutch situations. Failed to pull out victories in four close contests as a senior and could not finish. Played primarily in shotgun offense and will need to adjust to taking snaps under center. Not a great decision maker. Not very niftly footed and does not show lateral quickness when the pocket breaks down. Does not feel pressure well and needs time to throw. Has SMALL HANDS. Has had surgery on his throwing shoulder. Some scouts see him as a "finished product with bad habits".

IF we do pick him, I really hope PFW's analysis is wrong. ?

They rated him as the 4th best prospect, what does that say about the other QB's in the draft?

Trade for Schaub!
    I guess it would give the team time to prepare him to be a starter if we got him now.