Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Vikings may re-open talks with Darion Scott

"Sean" wrote:
    [size=10pt]NFL report: As options shrink, Vikings may re-open talks with Darrion Scott[/size]

After a third defensive end signed with another club before visiting the Twin Cities, could the Vikings reignite talks with a familiar face?
    http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_8483173
    I would love for him to stay on our defense and provide much needed depth and versatility, with the possibility to start, sounds like his foot is a non-issue.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Vikings may re-open talks with Darion Scott

If a DE was their high priority, they should have had them in at the start of FA & that be their priority after signing Berriman. They did try that with Smith & he was signed by the first team he visited with & the Vikings was his 2nd stop, so you can't fault them for that.

Kearse on the other hand wasn't signed until after his Wednesday visit with the Titans. If they wanted him or any other DE badly enough, they should have had them here Sunday, Monday or at the very latest on Tuesday.

I know the Vikings took Sunday off because of the long talks with Berriman, but IMO that was a mistake. The FA pool was small again this year in the area of their needs & they took the 2nd day of it off? WTF? You can't afford to do that if you have intentions of signing players.

Bottom line, if you snooze, you lose. They snoozed, they lost.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    If a DE was their high priority, they should have had them in at the start of FA & that be their priority after signing Berriman. They did try that with Smith & he was signed by the first team he visited with & the Vikings was his 2nd stop, so you can't fault them for that.

Kearse on the other hand wasn't signed until after his Wednesday visit with the Titans. If they wanted him or any other DE badly enough, they should have had them here Sunday, Monday or at the very latest on Tuesday.

I know the Vikings took Sunday off because of the long talks with Berriman, but IMO that was a mistake. The FA pool was small again this year in the area of their needs & they took the 2nd day of it off? WTF? You can't afford to do that if you have intentions of signing players.

Nice post my friend.

They kindof have me scratching my head as well.
    I assume these guys new the Vikes were shopping and had the money to pay.
    That and a damn good looking (Up and Coming) defense with a well respected D-cord.

Maybe Smith wasn't thier intended target. Maybe it was Odom and they believed he would never sign with a organization in as big of a mess as the Bengals or maybe they have someone else in mind.
    Maybe the other teams just offered a butt load more with respect to money.

So many questions.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind either Hargrove or Thomas coming in and filling the hole at the LDE spot.
    Truth be told, just because we didn't get the two big names (I didn't like Smith anyways) doesn't mean all is lost my friends.

TOT SOLO AST SACK
    Odoms 2007 Stats

Smiths 2007 Stats

Hargroves 2007 Stats

Thomas 2007 Stats

Still lots of interesting prospects out there that could fill the bill still.
    I'm sure they know what they are doing.
    Sure wish they would let us in on it though. ;D

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...5785#msg735785
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:

I don't think they snoozed. I think they had their priorities straight from the get-go. Everything I have seen has led me to believe that we plan on drafting DE and QB in the high rounds.

They planned to pursue WR and Safety at the start knowing they would miss chances on other positions if they did that.

Sure we could have pursued Smith/Odom more aggressively and signed one of them. However, We would just as easily be sitting here talking about drafting Kenny Phillips/Malcolm Kelly instead of Harvey/Merling/Brohm. It is very hard to fill ALL of your needs in FA. Let's just be happy that we filled some needs, and hope we can fill the rest in the draft.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

I don't think they snoozed. I think they had their priorities straight from the get-go. Everything I have seen has led me to believe that we plan on drafting DE and QB in the high rounds.

They planned to pursue WR and Safety at the start knowing they would miss chances on other positions if they did that.

Sure we could have pursued Smith/Odom more aggressively and signed one of them. However, We would just as easily be sitting here talking about drafting Kenny Phillips/Malcolm Kelly instead of Harvey/Merling/Brohm. It is very hard to fill ALL of your needs in FA. Let's just be happy that we filled some needs, and hope we can fill the rest in the draft.
    What have you seen or read that leads you to believe this? Other peoples mock drafts?

I don't recall any plans being released from the Vikings indicating who they might or might not draft. Only observations of players they saw at the combine.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

What have you seen or read that leads you to believe this? Other peoples mock drafts?

I don't recall any plans being released from the Vikings indicating who they might or might not draft. Only observations of players they saw at the combine.
    based on some mocks and the FAs we've had so far then I would still look at DE/S in the first and then possibly look at WR in the second. I don't see us taking a QB in the high rounds as everything still points to TJ being here for the forseeable future. If he flunked this year then possibly a QB in the higher rounds in 2009 but no way do I see that happening this year.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

mjuaire is offline Rookie

Well as I tried to start a post about the Peppers rumor i cought wind of, they merged it with some other thread on here and i'm not quite sure why, but it goes along with this topic reasonable well, so i'm interested in hearing people's thoughts about the rumor

Vikings 1st rounder (17)
    Jimmy Kleinsasser TE
    Chester Taylor RB
    08 4th or 5th round pick

for

Julius Pepppers DE
    Jordant Gross OT
    08 3rd round

there are issues with the Vikings and their mental capacity to jump at a blockbuster, as we all remember Herschel.
    But this seems a bit more sound than that, and i'm not sure if carolina would do it but it does seem to fit their needs of rebuilding/draft picks (money) and RB.
    but giving up two studs like that???

I just thought f this were more than a rumor it would be a little higher profile, but this would explain the complete dud of getting a DE to even visit Winter Park...thoughts?

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

"mjuaire" wrote:
    Well as I tried to start a post about the Peppers rumor i cought wind of, they merged it with some other thread on here and i'm not quite sure why, but it goes along with this topic reasonable well, so i'm interested in hearing people's thoughts about the rumor

Vikings 1st rounder (17)
    Jimmy Kleinsasser TE
    Chester Taylor RB
    08 4th or 5th round pick

for

Julius Pepppers DE
    Jordant Gross OT
    08 3rd round

there are issues with the Vikings and their mental capacity to jump at a blockbuster, as we all remember Herschel.
    But this seems a bit more sound than that, and i'm not sure if carolina would do it but it does seem to fit their needs of rebuilding/draft picks (money) and RB.
    but giving up two studs like that???

I just thought f this were more than a rumor it would be a little higher profile, but this would explain the complete dud of getting a DE to even visit Winter Park...thoughts?
    It got merged into another thread because it was already being discussed (over 8 pages) on the exact same topic.
    People were posting about that rumor all day yesterday.
    Just go back and read through it and you'll have your answers.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:

We had some pretty obvious needs heading into this offseason. I rank them in this order:
    1. WR
    2. DE
    3. QB
    4. S
    5. OT
    6. FB

We came out and immediately addressed 3 of those needs, and are working on a fourth right now. It's impossible to get the best (or even top 3) player in every position you need. You have to prioritze, and that's what the Vikings did. Would I have done it the same way? Maybe not, but I'm thrilled that it at least looks like we have a plan, and that the plan is working.

Today, I see the needs list as:

1. QB
    2. DE
    3. OT

Many have it the other way around, which is a very legit argument. Common sense tells me we will rely on the draft to fill these needs, and common sense is something that the Vikings front office has displayed a lot of thus far in the offseason.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

mjuaire is offline Rookie

And I just signed up on this site today...so there you have it, thanks for the info.

PS, Darion Scott is not the right move, it seems that we will have to build through a trade or Draft at the DE position.
    and I agree with DE and then a WR in the 2nd as this years's WR crop is deep, we should find another quality prospect like Rice this year.

Does anyone have a reasonable read on Childress??
    I don't seem to get him, and his ideas.
    I mean i'm sure it's more of a collective effort in the front office, but i can't realyl get a read on him.
    i.e. no free agents last year, a little splurge this year.
    Hard after a couple FA's but hardly any effort towards a DE, or quality effort.
    I mean i heard we pulled back from Odom, not Odom.
    I guess that's the the Pepper's rumor was so intriging to me.
    I'm a fan of what we're doing, just still have a couple questions, i guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast