Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Re: Vikings make 'casual inquiries' about Eric Moulds.

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

I think taking the opinions of some of the houston fans and former players (Pat Williams)
    would go a long way in finding out the kind of player that Moulds is.

Everything i have heard about him is how great a workout warrior, team and locker room leader, teach by example kind of guy, and solid, dependable player.

He isn't flashy but he is solid and offers a lot in experience and mechanics at his position.

I think of him as like a Cris Carter, without the Carters extreme talent.

What i mean by that is he can help the whole receiving corp like Carter helped Moss and Reed.

I don't think he is our only option and i am not saying go out and sign him either, but i would be very happy to have him on my team.

If i was the viking brass i would have signed him a long time ago.

Also his last 1000 yrd season was in 2004.

How many so-called veteran WRs on the vikings current roster has had a 1000 yrd season?
    That wasn't that long ago.

I read Moulds has like 4 or 5.

He may have declined recently but i think he is still a very good receiver and has enormous value to the rest of the WR corp.
    He has 2 or 3 good years left i think.
    Good call, Neb!!!
    SOME of us here don't seem to think he is worth it.
    They think that we should be a team of twenty-somethings and nothing else.
    If they had their way, we would probably cut Pat Williams, Sharper, Birk, Richardson and Longwell...and be a totally under 30 football team.
    Sorry to those guys, but we need SOME veteran leadership...and some production as well...something none of our current WRs has shown yet in their NFL careers!
    Turnover rates of players need to be considered in a LONG RUN roster / personnel plan.
    If you (want to) fill the roster with ADVANCED AGE vets when there are already several vets on the roster who will be retiring in 3-4 years (P.Williams, Ryan Longwell?, Sharper, Birk?) you will find that TOO MANY vets will have to replaced in a short period of time, which means the replacements will not all be top quality players, and ther may be a few years of non-competitive teams.

If you develop a roster of players with a mix of ages and skills, you can more eaily replace the retiring players gradually and effectively.

So, having Sharper and P.Williams closing in on retirement, it makes sense to fill roster spots with younger players who won't have to be replaced at, or close to, the time when Sharper, P.Williams, Winfield, Birk, Longwell, etc. retire.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

I think taking the opinions of some of the houston fans and former players (Pat Williams)
    Everything i have heard about him is how great a workout warrior, team and locker room leader, teach by example kind of guy, and solid, dependable player.
    He isn't flashy but he is solid and offers a lot in experience and mechanics at his position.
    What i mean by that is he can help the whole receiving corp like Carter helped Moss and Reed.
    I don't think he is our only option and i am not saying go out and sign him either, but i would be very happy to have him on my team.

How many so-called veteran WRs on the vikings current roster has had a 1000 yrd season?
    He may have declined recently but i think he is still a very good receiver and has enormous value to the rest of the WR corp.
    Good call, Neb!!!
    If they had their way, we would probably cut Pat Williams, Sharper, Birk, Richardson and Longwell...and be a totally under 30 football team.
    Sorry to those guys, but we need SOME veteran leadership...and some production as well...something none of our current WRs has shown yet in their NFL careers!
    Turnover rates of players need to be considered in a LONG RUN roster / personnel plan.
    If you (want to) fill the roster with ADVANCED AGE vets when there are already several vets on the roster who will be retiring in 3-4 years (P.Williams, Ryan Longwell?, Sharper, Birk?) you will find that TOO MANY vets will have to replaced in a short period of time, which means the replacements will not all be top quality players, and ther may be a few years of non-competitive teams.

If you develop a roster of players with a mix of ages and skills, you can more eaily replace the retiring players gradually and effectively.

So, having Sharper and P.Williams closing in on retirement, it makes sense to fill roster spots with younger players who won't have to be replaced at, or close to, the time when Sharper, P.Williams, Winfield, Birk, Longwell, etc. retire.

none of those guys are receivers, nor do they play an offensive skill position, so whats the difference?..theres nothing wrong with having a couple of skilled veterans at one of the offensive skill positions
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

Good call, Neb!!!

none of those guys are receivers, nor do they play an offensive skill position, so whats the difference?..theres nothing wrong with having a couple of skilled veterans at one of the offensive skill positions
    True.
    True.

Difference? They are older players who need to be replaced within 5 years.

True.
    I'm glad the Vikings have 1. Billy McMullen and 2. Bobby Wade in their WR crew.

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    "Nebvikefan" wrote:

Good call, Neb!!!

True.
    True.

Difference? They are older players who need to be replaced within 5 years.

True.
    I'm glad the Vikings have 1. Billy McMullen and 2. Bobby Wade in their WR crew.

BUT we ONLY have FIVE current players on our roster who are over THIRTY...one more, especially one with sure hands, isn't gonna hurt us when it comes time to replace them...heck, we could do it in ONE draft!!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

In addition to replacing aging vets, a team also needs to replace free agents who are lost and not easily replaced in free agency.

Five QUALITY draft picks to replace FIVE starters in ONE draft?
    ???
    I doubt it.
    :

"Purplexing" wrote:
    In addition to replacing aging vets, a team also needs to replace free agents who are lost and not easily replaced in free agency.

Five QUALITY draft picks to replace FIVE starters in ONE draft?
    ???
    I doubt it.
    :

But heck, the way you view Moulds, he would be VERY EASY to replace...so there's no risk the way I see it!

Even the local sportswriters are starting to see it my way!

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/03/vikings-moulds-no-brainer300307.html

davike is offline Team Alumni

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Even the local sportswriters are starting to see it my way!

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/03/vikings-moulds-no-brainer300307.html
    They actually read my posts on here and decided to change the words around and then claim it for their own, those fiends!!! >

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920