Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Vikings make 'casual inquiries' about Eric Moulds.

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Mentioning one example of Moss being taught something by CCarter doesn't imply all WRs need to be taught by a vet.
    It simply implies it helped in one isolated case.

If vets could teach younger players everything, consistently and effectively, fewer coaches would be needed.
    Another problem is determining whether or not a vet WR is also a good teacher.
    Being a vet doesn't also imply being a good teacher.
    All my teachers were older than I, but a few didn't seem to be as good as others.
    anybody who doesnt think that young players benefit from being around, watching and talking to experienced great players is an absolute fool
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Boy Purplexing I hope you brought the boxing gloves with you today people seem to wanna spar.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    Boy Purplexing I hope you brought the boxing gloves with you today people seem to wanna spar.
    Purp is fine and no one shouold call him a fool for his opinion.
    I definately disagree with him on this topic for the fact veterans (no mattre what position they play) are important in the growth of any young player or worker regardless of the business you work in.

This is not an isolated incident.
    Even Carter himself stated he had wished he had someone take him under their wing before he had his troubles.
    Can you imagine what he could have done if he didn't have to take the time away from football that he did?

"olson_10" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    Mentioning one example of Moss being taught something by CCarter doesn't imply all WRs need to be taught by a vet.
    It simply implies it helped in one isolated case.

If vets could teach younger players everything, consistently and effectively, fewer coaches would be needed.
    Another problem is determining whether or not a vet WR is also a good teacher.
    Being a vet doesn't also imply being a good teacher.
    All my teachers were older than I, but a few didn't seem to be as good as others.
    anybody who doesnt think that young players benefit from being around, watching and talking to experienced great players is an absolute fool
    I'm glad I'm not in that category.
    I said, in essence, there are coaches who do this job, and some vet WRs MAY NOT be good teachers.
    It is not safe to ASSUME all vets will automatically be good teachers.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

"ejmat" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    Purp is fine and no one shouold call him a fool for his opinion.
    I definately disagree with him on this topic for the fact veterans (no mattre what position they play) are important in the growth of any young player or worker regardless of the business you work in.

This is not an isolated incident.
    Even Carter himself stated he had wished he had someone take him under their wing before he had his troubles.
    Can you imagine what he could have done if he didn't have to take the time away from football that he did?
    No I couldn't and for all I know if he had not gone through those trials he would never have been the player he is. If this were a bubble where everything remained the same and all aspects of the experiment were stable and able to be tested we could assume he would have done better things.

For all we know those trials made him who he is, made him work harder, made him a better person and a better player.

Everyone is different some people respond to teaching some people do not.

any vet can be a leader...my freshman year we had to stud wr's...one was all american....the other could have been on any other team.....the 2nd wr was always talking to me showing how to run better routes, ways to beet certain guys......the all american just being in practice next to me made me a better player....his work ethic anythign.....

i think leader or teacher or aid or anyhting is a pretty broad group of words, dif players, lead in dif ways some show up....and add confidence to the team....others talk with younger players...some gave such great work ethic it makes everyone better

alot of people would never think of chad johnson as a huge leader....the guy lives in the video room....young guys see taht and it makes them better
    Can Someone please Hook me up with a Sig

"nextvikingsstar" wrote:
    any vet can be a leader...my freshman year we had to stud wr's...one was all american....the other could have been on any other team.....the 2nd wr was always talking to me showing how to run better routes, ways to beet certain guys......the all american just being in practice next to me made me a better player....his work ethic anythign.....

i think leader or teacher or aid or anyhting is a pretty broad group of words, dif players, lead in dif ways some show up....and add confidence to the team....others talk with younger players...some gave such great work ethic it makes everyone better

alot of people would never think of chad johnson as a huge leader....the guy lives in the video room....young guys see taht and it makes them better
    And yet it ends at you.

How much were you willing to learn, how much attention did you pay to the players around you?

It sounds like you were eager to learn.

That is what football teams need, blue collar guys willing to learn. It doesn't matter how many vets we have if our rookies don't want to learn. If someone has a drive to learn and be better they will, end of story wether you are watching film of Jerry Rice or watching your HS teamate.

exactly vets can only take guys so far....the young guys have to be eager and ready to learn like i def was my freshman yaer of college.....
    Can Someone please Hook me up with a Sig

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "nextvikingsstar" wrote:

And yet it ends at you.

How much were you willing to learn, how much attention did you pay to the players around you?

That is what football teams need, blue collar guys willing to learn. It doesn't matter how many vets we have if our rookies don't want to learn. If someone has a drive to learn and be better they will, end of story wether you are watching film of Jerry Rice or watching your HS teamate.
    It totally depends on the specific person but having a veteran with good work ethic never hurts.
    As people have stated in this thread, people see what others do on and off the field.
    In Chad Johnson, people do see his work ethics.
    Some people respond positively (T.J. Housyamomma) and people don't (Chris Henry).
    The talent is definately there for both.

I think Del makes a good point with Carter in that if his previous experiences didn't set him straight he may not have been the WR he was.
    The fact with him is he always had the talent but he wasn't using it right because he was into drugs.
    When he went off the drugs it made him use all his talents to the fullest.
    He definately had talents that are difficult to teach.

The bottom line is a veteran WR on a team that can still produce is important to other young WRs without the leadership.
    That could have been why TWill was a real bust last year.
    Was it his hand-eye coordination or lack of a mentor?
    Who knows?
    I do know having that leader is important as long as the veteran is productive and of good character.
    People learn directly and indirectly by watching and listening.

Property0f is offline Pro-Bowler

"Del" wrote:
    "nextvikingsstar" wrote:

And yet it ends at you.

Well obviously Williamson wants to correct his problem. He's said it before and I don't think he would be going to some Nike doctor if he didn't care. If Williamson is willing to learn, why not sign Moulds and bunk them together during camp?

I don't think it would hurt.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast