Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings Lose Key Free Agents But Come Out Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1102092
    Quote Originally Posted by "Overlord" #1102087
    Just a coach putting a positive spin on things. I doubt any team ever gets everything they want in the offseason, but I think the Vikings have lost out on more than they would have liked this year. Rice is the biggest one.

I'm still optimistic for the season though.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102043
    Hell, its pretty simple to sign your new rooks and they haven't even got that done.
    I don't get this comment. Is there any suggestion that they won't all be signed in ready to go when practices start? Doesn't it make sense to spend their time now (this past week) on things that are time-sensitive like trading for a quarterback or bringing in free agents that might go to other teams?
    It's just Marrdro being Marrdro.
    I'm a hater? Hell I'm more optimistic about this season than you are.

Quick question, are you happy with the way the FO has handled this offseason?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1102105
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102043
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1102014
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1102009
    This one leaves me scratching my head!
    Good read but I can't for the life of me figure out how bringing in a 50th rated DT and a Bears cast off WR after losing Rice and Edwards, equates to coming out ahead!

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/07/29/11/Vikings-lose-valuable-free-agents-but-co/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=542765&feedID=3697
    Typical of a staff that is preparing to have a bad year but has to sell the public on hope and change.
    I don't think so. They tried like hell to keep Rice. Went after Orton, settled for Dnabb. Tried to get the best S.

Nope, what I think we are seeing is a staff who doesn't have a clue how to work the same system.

Hell, its pretty simple to sign your new rooks and they haven't even got that done.
    Ahh Marrdro, quit being the Negative-Nancy!

We've added players from AFL, CFL, multiple practice squads, drafts, trades and UDFAs. We went pretty hard after keeping Rice, tried for Weddle, and did manage to keep our Kicker and a STs standout. AND, all while fighting to drop under the Salary Cap!

We're waiting on our draft picks because that is the easiest thing to get done and we had other priorities to attend to during the FA race.

McNabb gives us a MOBILE vet QB, something we haven't had since before Culpepper got hurt! A guy who can run for his life when the pocket crumbles, who is still averaging over 4 yards a carry (5.2 last season!) And, I'm not sure the guy has ever had a Running game and Defense combo like ours to help keep the pressure off his back...

We were ready for Edwards leaving, and have made under the radar moves to shore up WR too. Sure, Rice leaving hurts, but I think McNabb helps more.
    I agree with you on the Edwards thing. Looks like we have two good looking kids standing in line.

Like the McNabb signing, atleast until I see the numbers.

Quick question, why wait on the rook contracts? It isn't like they are hard to draw up. Thats a big change in the new CBA.

Another quick question. Why weren't we under the cap? It isn't like the owners hid what they were trying to get done in the NEW CBA. Unless of course Zygi didn't keep his staff informed, which I find hard to believe.

Again, I like some of the moves. I even like that they are atleast trying to fix a couple of the areas of need, but I sure don't like how they are going about it.

One thing to "Ponder" though. Like the regular offseason. There are two clear and distinct FA periods. Just becuase this one is shortened doesn't mean that the second wave won't hit.

Maybe, just maybe ole Ricky boy has a couple targeted that they are anticipating getting released cause right now all thats really left are some good role players in the areas we need help at.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102115
    Quick question, why wait on the rook contracts? It isn't like they are hard to draw up. Thats a big change in the new CBA.
    Other than having things to do in the meantime, my guess is it will be easier to get it done when the rookies are actually in town for camp.

Another quick question. Why weren't we under the cap? It isn't like the owners hid what they were trying to get done in the NEW CBA. Unless of course Zygi didn't keep his staff informed, which I find hard to believe.
    The Vikes have been aggressive in acquiring players the past several seasons. Regardless of how they finished last year, the past few years they have gone into the season thinking they had a good chance to win the whole thing.

They're also not in that bad of a situation at the moment, cap-wise. Not so bad that they couldn't bring in McNabb and then be in the market to keep Rice or bring in another receiver. To get under they will not have to make really hard choices. Extend AD and Greenway, cut Madieu, cut Berrian, cut Kennedy.

Maybe, just maybe ole Ricky boy has a couple targeted that they are anticipating getting released cause right now all thats really left are some good role players in the areas we need help at.
    I hope they have players targeted at safety and wide receiver. Preferably good players.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12