Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Vikings Lose Key Free Agents But Come Out Ahead

This one leaves me scratching my head!
    Good read but I can't for the life of me figure out how bringing in a 50th rated DT and a Bears cast off WR after losing Rice and Edwards, equates to coming out ahead!

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/07/29/11/Vikings-lose-valuable-free-agents-but-co/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=542765&feedID=3697
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Vikings Lose Key Free Agents But Come Out Ahead

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1102009
    Good read but I can't for the life of me figure out how bringing in a 50th rated DT and a Bears cast off WR after losing Rice and Edwards, equates to coming out ahead!

http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/07/29/11/Vikings-lose-valuable-free-agents-but-co/landing_mnvikings.html?blockID=542765&feedID=3697
    Typical of a staff that is preparing to have a bad year but has to sell the public on hope and change.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

On Friday, though, Frazier said Williams [Madieu] just didn't fit in with the Vikings' future plans.

"He did a great job for us when he was here. He's one of my personal favorites," Frazier said
    He did? If your the one evaluating the talent, no wonder we signed the 50th rated tackle & a Bears cast off WR.

We don't even play Seattle this year, so how the hell does he figure we came out ahead?

McNabb's play last year wasn't much better than Favre's

Devin Aromashodu is not better than Rice, IMO

Robison + Ayokele is not better than Edwards + Robison, IMO

I figure, at this point, we took one step forward & two steps back.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Hopefully Frazier isn't over estimating his ability as a HC. The last coach did and it set back the franchise for half a decade. We can't afford a part deaux.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1102014

Typical of a staff that is preparing to have a bad year but has to sell the public on hope and change.
    I don't think so. They tried like hell to keep Rice. Went after Orton, settled for Dnabb. Tried to get the best S.

Nope, what I think we are seeing is a staff who doesn't have a clue how to work the same system.

Hell, its pretty simple to sign your new rooks and they haven't even got that done.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Thanks for the read my friend.

Ayodele said Tennessee, Seattle and Denver were also pursuing him, and he added that the Saints made an effort to keep him. But in the end, he said playing for the Vikings was most appealing to him.
    I did like this signing, howevever, I hope they make atleast one more move to shore up the NT position.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Just a coach putting a positive spin on things. I doubt any team ever gets everything they want in the offseason, but I think the Vikings have lost out on more than they would have liked this year. Rice is the biggest one.

I'm still optimistic for the season though.

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1102043
    Hell, its pretty simple to sign your new rooks and they haven't even got that done.
    I don't get this comment. Is there any suggestion that they won't all be signed in ready to go when practices start? Doesn't it make sense to spend their time now (this past week) on things that are time-sensitive like trading for a quarterback or bringing in free agents that might go to other teams?
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Overlord" #1102087
    Just a coach putting a positive spin on things. I doubt any team ever gets everything they want in the offseason, but I think the Vikings have lost out on more than they would have liked this year. Rice is the biggest one.

I don't get this comment. Is there any suggestion that they won't all be signed in ready to go when practices start? Doesn't it make sense to spend their time now (this past week) on things that are time-sensitive like trading for a quarterback or bringing in free agents that might go to other teams?
    It's just Marrdro being Marrdro.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1102014

I don't think so. They tried like hell to keep Rice. Went after Orton, settled for Dnabb. Tried to get the best S.

Nope, what I think we are seeing is a staff who doesn't have a clue how to work the same system.

Ahh Marrdro, quit being the Negative-Nancy!

We've added players from AFL, CFL, multiple practice squads, drafts, trades and UDFAs. We went pretty hard after keeping Rice, tried for Weddle, and did manage to keep our Kicker and a STs standout. AND, all while fighting to drop under the Salary Cap!

We're waiting on our draft picks because that is the easiest thing to get done and we had other priorities to attend to during the FA race.

McNabb gives us a MOBILE vet QB, something we haven't had since before Culpepper got hurt! A guy who can run for his life when the pocket crumbles, who is still averaging over 4 yards a carry (5.2 last season!) And, I'm not sure the guy has ever had a Running game and Defense combo like ours to help keep the pressure off his back...

We were ready for Edwards leaving, and have made under the radar moves to shore up WR too. Sure, Rice leaving hurts, but I think McNabb helps more.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Quote Originally Posted by "Overlord" #1102087

No, atleast not yet. Issue is that in the new CBA it isn't like there is alot of negotiating. You just sign them almot to a cookie cutter contract.

From what I gather, several teams have all their guys in, we don't even have one.

Just kindof boggles my mind thats all.

On a side note, its good to see the "Big O's" avatar in a thread again. one good thing happening. Some oldies but goodies coming around to chat with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast