Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through FA

"stateVIKE44" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "stateVIKE44" wrote:
    I don't know ... I've got a feeling if Kenny Phillips slides (which some are thinking he might) he is going to be tough to pass up. He seems like a really humble, soft-spoken guy off the field, and he plays with a mean streak on the field. I would love to see him on our squad. But, even though Derrick Harvey and Calais Campbell didn't perform GREAT at the combine, I suppose they could be good pick-ups in the 1st as well.
    Color me silly, but I actually could see him sliding all the way to 28 and the Cowboys.
    Only other teams that I would envision taking him are Denver at 12 and I think they will go CB (hard to pass on Talib) or us at 17, and I like Smith's versatility over Phillips but wouldn't be upset if we took him for sure.

Would give us options at both CB and S positions and would allow the staff to move Griff to S.

My guess is he will continue to slide a bit and Smith will move up a bit.
    Again, my guess.

12 Denver Broncos Aqip Talib, CB
    17 Minnesota Vikings Reggie Smith, CB/S
    28 Dallas Cowboys * Kenny Phillips, S

Marrdro waits patiently for the Phillips crotchsniffers.

;D
    Did Smith workout at the Combine and I just missed him, or was he not even there? If he wasn't there, why?
    I didn't see him but don't they do thier thing today?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through F

"Braddock" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    also now that we have an extra 3rd and 6th rounder to play with its not out of the question if Gholston slides out of the top 8 or so if we tried to trade up for him... that would be way too great, did y'all see OSU vs. Michagen this year? This man str8 took Jake Long to the woodshed and beat him!
    No way we get him. I think we had a better chance at Calvin Johnson last year than Gholston this.
    That's because in order to get CJ last year (thankfully we had AD fall to us) we would have had to move from 7 to 2 which require a lot more compensation than from 17 to say 8 or 9 where a third and a sixth could get you up there.... i'm just sayin' I remember reading both Chiller and Speilman saying that if the 'right guy' were available they would trade up for him. Lets look at a realistic scenerio where Gholston takes a small slide.

Miami--> Chris Long
    St. Louis--> Glenn Dorsey
    Atlanta--> Matt Ryan
    Oakland--> Darren McFadden
    KC--> Jake Long
    New York Jets--> Leodis Mckelvin ( If they don't sign Asante Samuel)
    New England Patriots--> Brandon Flowers (their corners are super weak if you consider Samuel's imminent departure)
    Baltimore Ravens--> Brian Brohm
    Cincinatti Bengals--> Sedrick Ellis

The draft could very well shape up this way with the only real contenders for Gholston outside the top 5 where he won't be drafted to be the Jets (who need more help in their secondary) and the Bengals who if given a chance to pick Ellis or Gholston would take the DT from USC 9 times out of 10 because they have the same upside, but Ellis fits more of a need for their pathetic run defense.

So tell me again why it's not plausible for us to trade up for a player of his caliber? To move up from 17 to 10 it would cost our extra third round plus maybe a seventh.
    Alright, alright. I see that. However, why would McFadden go to Oakland. They have that guy from Indy and i don't think he's really top 5 talent (which I don't know who really is in this draft). I hope you're right. If we got him, we'd pwn all noobs, but the draft never goes like anyone really imagines (Quinn, Peterson slding down for example). I just don't see us getting so lucky two years in a row. What are te "point values" for your proposed scheme? To see if it's justifiable.
    well Braddock since you insist, pick number 10 is worth 1300 points

and pick seventeen
    is worth 950 points

Pick 77 (denver's 3rd) is worth 205 points

Okay maybe we would have to give up a fourth instead of the seventh i proposed but essentially it would be trading our 1st and fourth rounders to finally solve our DE problem, and Gholston has Freeney like potential but even more so because he has an effective bull rush.
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through F

"carta4eva" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Braddock" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    also now that we have an extra 3rd and 6th rounder to play with its not out of the question if Gholston slides out of the top 8 or so if we tried to trade up for him... that would be way too great, did y'all see OSU vs. Michagen this year? This man str8 took Jake Long to the woodshed and beat him!
    No way we get him. I think we had a better chance at Calvin Johnson last year than Gholston this.
    That's because in order to get CJ last year (thankfully we had AD fall to us) we would have had to move from 7 to 2 which require a lot more compensation than from 17 to say 8 or 9 where a third and a sixth could get you up there.... i'm just sayin' I remember reading both Chiller and Speilman saying that if the 'right guy' were available they would trade up for him. Lets look at a realistic scenerio where Gholston takes a small slide.

Miami--> Chris Long
    St. Louis--> Glenn Dorsey
    Atlanta--> Matt Ryan
    Oakland--> Darren McFadden
    KC--> Jake Long
    New York Jets--> Leodis Mckelvin ( If they don't sign Asante Samuel)
    New England Patriots--> Brandon Flowers (their corners are super weak if you consider Samuel's imminent departure)
    Baltimore Ravens--> Brian Brohm
    Cincinatti Bengals--> Sedrick Ellis

The draft could very well shape up this way with the only real contenders for Gholston outside the top 5 where he won't be drafted to be the Jets (who need more help in their secondary) and the Bengals who if given a chance to pick Ellis or Gholston would take the DT from USC 9 times out of 10 because they have the same upside, but Ellis fits more of a need for their pathetic run defense.

So tell me again why it's not plausible for us to trade up for a player of his caliber? To move up from 17 to 10 it would cost our extra third round plus maybe a seventh.
    Alright, alright. I see that. However, why would McFadden go to Oakland. They have that guy from Indy and i don't think he's really top 5 talent (which I don't know who really is in this draft). I hope you're right. If we got him, we'd pwn all noobs, but the draft never goes like anyone really imagines (Quinn, Peterson slding down for example). I just don't see us getting so lucky two years in a row. What are te "point values" for your proposed scheme? To see if it's justifiable.
    well Braddock since you insist, pick number 10 is worth 1300 points

and pick seventeen
    is worth 950 points

Pick 77 (denver's 3rd) is worth 205 points

Okay maybe we would have to give up a fourth instead of the seventh i proposed but essentially it would be trading our 1st and fourth rounders to finally solve our DE problem, and Gholston has Freeney like potential but even more so because he has an effective bull rush.
    Thank you kind sir, your generosity has no bounds.

I'm all for it, and then trade up into the lower 1st round to get one of them safties everyone is talking about and BAM, we're golden.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

it's fun to speculate, but even more of a blast of excitement when we go out and make a splash during free agency: remember the grand feeling of getting Antonie Winfield to 'spurn' the jets; or how awesome a feeling it was to know what we had when we signed Fat Pat to play next to the best DT in the league, I remember the chills I got rushing through my spine when I saw the Bobby Wade signing last year ;D
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345