Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through F

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    I wonder who would be a viable option at wideout considering Berrian has been the name thrown around and will command slightly less money on the market than a certain somebody who is @ an impass with his contract talks with the Patriots
    8) ... bash me all you want but reading in between the lines from Zygi's comments earlier this year, to Randy's expression of desire to "retire" a viking during Media day... here's to hoping to the return of the messiah to couple with purple jesus! ;D
    Would I be happy if that happened?
    Sure.
    Would he fit in this scheme?
    Sure, if he continues to go across the middle like he did with the Pats as well as take an active role in blocking.
    Would he be happy in this run first, dink and dunk passing scheme?
    I don't think so.

I would be extremely suprised if Randy goes anyplace this year.
    He finally has a offense that is suited to him, a QB that can get him the ball and a chance (yup they will still do good this year) to get a ring.

Just don't see him coming to MN unless they offer him almost all of our CAP windfall.
    If you they will come.
    ;D
    great take Mar... the one qualifier is that I keep on hearing that Moss will choose to go back to the Patriots to twin a ring, BUT does anyone see them winning without Belicheat? he has a suspension looming over his head, and I am sure this is going to weigh in on what #84 ultimately does...
    No Mas!

Maybe RM will be back in a few years.
    The grass is greener in other pastures right now.
    TO and RM on the same team, that is scary and that would make the whole MCFadden better than AD a possibility.
    LOL!

Back to reality and away from turning this into a Moss thread.
    I will take Porter, the guy can get down the field.
    When he has had a QB, he has performed well.

What is the status of Hackett, haven't heard his name in a while.
    I like him also, maybe a better fit for us than Porter.

Draft, I like the a DE in the first round. but I still believe in the best player available at 17th.
    carta4eva, Bellicheck seems to always have good Coordinators on his staff.
    That along with a very veteran team, I see very little in dropoff during the suspension.

Sno, thanks for getting us back on topic.

I also, still believe that Hackett is probably the best option/match for our scheme, however, I wouldn't be apposed to Stallworth or Berrian either.

Based on whats available, they are all viable options.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be to suprised to see them completely ignore the FA WR's and take a guy at 17.
    I wouldn't agree with it, but I would understand thier rationale as I have bought into the "We'll build through the draft" story hook line and sinker.
    IMHO, it seems like the there are enough options on the market with proven players at WR.
    We MUST get one of those guys in FA.
    Either that or we MUST get the best
    DE in FA.

BPFA pickup + BPA in the draft will = success.

That is vague but the team needs to decide what the team is going to use as a the block to build on in FA and put the plan in motion.
    I am excited to see where we start.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through F

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=carta4eva link=topic=42655.msg728627#msg728627 date=1204037049]
    I wonder who would be a viable option at wideout considering Berrian has been the name thrown around and will command slightly less money on the market than a certain somebody who is @ an impass with his contract talks with the Patriots
    8) ... bash me all you want but reading in between the lines from Zygi's comments earlier this year, to Randy's expression of desire to "retire" a viking during Media day... here's to hoping to the return of the messiah to couple with purple jesus! ;D
    Sure.
    Sure, if he continues to go across the middle like he did with the Pats as well as take an active role in blocking.
    I don't think so.

He finally has a offense that is suited to him, a QB that can get him the ball and a chance (yup they will still do good this year) to get a ring.

Just don't see him coming to MN unless they offer him almost all of our CAP windfall.
    If you they will come.
    ;D
    great take Mar... the one qualifier is that I keep on hearing that Moss will choose to go back to the Patriots to twin a ring, BUT does anyone see them winning without Belicheat? he has a suspension looming over his head, and I am sure this is going to weigh in on what #84 ultimately does...
    No Mas!

TO and RM on the same team, that is scary and that would make the whole MCFadden better than AD a possibility.
    LOL!

Draft, I like the a DE in the first round. but I still believe in the best player available at 17th.
    carta4eva, Bellicheck seems to always have good Coordinators on his staff.
    That along with a very veteran team, I see very little in dropoff during the suspension.

Sno, thanks for getting us back on topic.

I also, still believe that Hackett is probably the best option/match for our scheme, however, I wouldn't be apposed to Stallworth or Berrian either.

Based on whats available, they are all viable options.

Truth be told, I wouldn't be to suprised to see them completely ignore the FA WR's and take a guy at 17.
    I wouldn't agree with it, but I would understand thier rationale as I have bought into the "We'll build through the draft" story hook line and sinker.
    IMHO, it seems like the there are enough options on the market with proven players at WR.
    We MUST get one of those guys in FA.
    Either that or we MUST get the best
    DE in FA.

BPFA pickup + BPA in the draft will = success.

That is vague but the team needs to decide what the team is going to use as a the block to build on in FA and put the plan in motion.

I am excited to see where we start.
    [/quote]
    With $30+ Z dollars in CAP we should be able to get a WR, DE and a S in FA plus sign our rookie class and still have a bit left over to sign someone short notice if someone gets hurt during pre-season.

Then draft a DE and a S or two (Gregcox has me thinking two in the draft) in the draft.

WR
    Vet FA
    B-wade
    Rice
    Allison
    Fergy (or another Rookie)

DE
    Vet FA
    Edwards
    Robison
    Mitchell
    Rookie

Safety
    Sharper
    FA Vet
    Frampton
    Rookie
    Rookie

DT
    Kevin
    Pat
    Fred Evans
    Rookie

LB
    EJ
    Leber
    Greenway
    Rufus
    Vinny
    Herron
    Rookie

CB
    Winfield
    Griffin
    McCauley
    Gordon
    Rookie

RB
    AD
    CT
    Rookie

FB
    Tahi
    Mills

TEDugan
    Klieny
    Shank
    Rookie

OLBirk
    Mac
    Hutch
    Herrera
    Cook
    Mozes
    Johnson
    Johnson
    Hicks

QB
    TJ
    Vet (BB or FA)
    Rookie

ST
    Kluwe
    Longwell
    Loeffler

Someone do the math.
    I think that allows for all the players at each of the positions and follows the norm with respect to how many they carry at each position.

By the way, I am working on a thread that lays this all out to include the draftee's and FA signeeeeeeee's.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through FA

I don't know ... I've got a feeling if Kenny Phillips slides (which some are thinking he might) he is going to be tough to pass up. He seems like a really humble, soft-spoken guy off the field, and he plays with a mean streak on the field. I would love to see him on our squad. But, even though Derrick Harvey and Calais Campbell didn't perform GREAT at the combine, I suppose they could be good pick-ups in the 1st as well.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

Re: Vikings likely to take a DE in 1st round, fill holes at safety, WR through FA

"stateVIKE44" wrote:
    I don't know ... I've got a feeling if Kenny Phillips slides (which some are thinking he might) he is going to be tough to pass up. He seems like a really humble, soft-spoken guy off the field, and he plays with a mean streak on the field. I would love to see him on our squad. But, even though Derrick Harvey and Calais Campbell didn't perform GREAT at the combine, I suppose they could be good pick-ups in the 1st as well.
    Color me silly, but I actually could see him sliding all the way to 28 and the Cowboys.
    Only other teams that I would envision taking him are Denver at 12 and I think they will go CB (hard to pass on Talib) or us at 17, and I like Smith's versatility over Phillips but wouldn't be upset if we took him for sure.

Would give us options at both CB and S positions and would allow the staff to move Griff to S.

My guess is he will continue to slide a bit and Smith will move up a bit.
    Again, my guess.

12 Denver Broncos Aqip Talib, CB
    17 Minnesota Vikings Reggie Smith, CB/S
    28 Dallas Cowboys * Kenny Phillips, S

Marrdro waits patiently for the Phillips crotchsniffers.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I would be willing to take a chance on Jordy from Kansas State I think.

A FA WR would be a good idea and would give Rice as well as Allison some room to develop more.

At 17, are we going to get a DE that is going to be able to perform on "day one."

That was a good post Marrdro.
    Thanks!

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "carta4eva" wrote:
    Sure.
    I don't think so.

If you they will come.
    ;D
    No Mas!

LOL!

porter would be ideal if moss doesn't happen, getting him and a gibril wilson along with a good back-up to jackson would make this free agency period ideal...

as for the draft I would love for us to get harvey as he is considered to be s explosive as jevon curse (pun intended)
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

"snowinapril" wrote:

A FA WR would be a good idea and would give Rice as well as Allison some room to develop more.

At 17, are we going to get a DE that is going to be able to perform on "day one."

Thanks!
    Thanks for the kind comment.

Quick question, you know I always ping on this.........

Who goes for Nelson?
    My assumption is Ferg.
    I could live with that, but we would have a very inexpierenced WR corp with.....

FA Vet
    Rice
    B-wade
    Allison
    Nelson

Rice and Allison would really have to step up and the replacement for T-will wouldn't be allowed to get hurt this year.
    ;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Thanks!

Who goes for Nelson?
    My assumption is Ferg.
    I could live with that, but we would have a very inexpierenced WR corp with.....

FA Vet
    Rice
    B-wade
    Allison
    Nelson

Rice and Allison would really have to step up and the replacement for T-will wouldn't be allowed to get hurt this year.
    ;D
    Someone is going to spend time on the practice squad.
    I think that anyone that we get in the draft will spent time on the practice squad.
    Who know, there might be an unexpected cut.

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

Thanks!

Who goes for Nelson?
    My assumption is Ferg.

FA Vet
    Rice
    B-wade
    Allison
    Nelson

;D
    Someone is going to spend time on the practice squad.
    I think that anyone that we get in the draft will spent time on the practice squad.
    Who know, there might be an unexpected cut.
    I hear ya, however, I am a firm believer that you don't use any pick on a guy that you don't expect to be on the 53 man roster.

If you do drat a guy and if he has any talent, trying to sneak him to the practice squad (ala Thygpen) is a risky business as we know in all likely hood he won't get there.

That equates to wasted pick IMHO and someone should be fired in the front office.
    Guys who make it to the practice squad are the Undrafted FA rookies that you bring in that slipped through the cracks and wind up being a suprise.

carta4eva is offline Asst. Coach Space Invaders Champion

also now that we have an extra 3rd and 6th rounder to play with its not out of the question if Gholston slides out of the top 8 or so if we tried to trade up for him... that would be way too great, did y'all see OSU vs. Michagen this year? This man str8 took Jake Long to the woodshed and beat him!
    A wise man once said," Defense Wins Championships!"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast