Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Vikings KFFL tidbits (24-26 Feb. 2009)

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    I'm really happy to hear Gordon signed with us again.

Very happy with the trade for Rosenfels. I juts hope Chilli gives him a fair shot for the starting job. That's not a knock on TJ. I just want the best man to win the job. While Gus could compete with TJ, he can't last a 16 week season as the starter. So I am very excited about this trade.

Trying to resign Birk and Kleinny is a classy move in my opinion. These kind of gestures should help make the Vikings more attractive for veteran free agents. Kind of like how some are willing to restructure contracts to play for the Patriots.
    I am hoping that we at least get Kleinny back. Birk I think deserves a two year extension, but with a reduced salary. No way should he be pulling $6M next year.
    Tahi I can only hope someone makes an offer for him... bleah.

As for your hope that Chilly give Sage a shot at starting, we had some good discussions in a thread totally about that.
    C Mac called my logic stupid; however I believe that Sage will be our starter come week 1 next year.
    The contract extension (and $ figure mind you) gives you every indication that Sage will at worst get a shot, and at most be the favorite to start for us next year.
    Yes, you did quote me correctly... I called your logic stupid, not you.

But, I can't see Sage winning the starting job. Childress has the past two years invested in "His" QB... not Ricky Boy's.

In almost the same number of games last year, TJack vastly out performed Sage. I just can't see that changing this year.

Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"C" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:
    I'm really happy to hear Gordon signed with us again.

Very happy with the trade for Rosenfels. I juts hope Chilli gives him a fair shot for the starting job. That's not a knock on TJ. I just want the best man to win the job. While Gus could compete with TJ, he can't last a 16 week season as the starter. So I am very excited about this trade.

Trying to resign Birk and Kleinny is a classy move in my opinion. These kind of gestures should help make the Vikings more attractive for veteran free agents. Kind of like how some are willing to restructure contracts to play for the Patriots.
    I am hoping that we at least get Kleinny back. Birk I think deserves a two year extension, but with a reduced salary. No way should he be pulling $6M next year.
    Tahi I can only hope someone makes an offer for him... bleah.

As for your hope that Chilly give Sage a shot at starting, we had some good discussions in a thread totally about that.
    C Mac called my logic stupid; however I believe that Sage will be our starter come week 1 next year.
    The contract extension (and $ figure mind you) gives you every indication that Sage will at worst get a shot, and at most be the favorite to start for us next year.
    Yes, you did quote me correctly... I called your logic stupid, not you.

But, I can't see Sage winning the starting job. Childress has the past two years invested in "His" QB... not Ricky Boy's.

In almost the same number of games last year, TJack vastly out performed Sage. I just can't see that changing this year.
    I had to correct what I originally typed.

While agree with the investment that Chilly has in TJ, all you have to do is look how quickly he benched TJ last year claimed Gus was to the start for the rest of the year.
    *head scratcher*

TJ has gotten better; hell I am a TJ fan.
    I just dont think TJ is truly ready to take this team by the horns and lead it.
    He lacks a certain confidence or mental toughness that comes with experience.
    TJ was quoted early on saying he wasn't ready to start.
    It was TJs comments to Chilly that he was playing scared, afraid to lose games that got him benched, not his play per se.

I just think Sage is seasoned enough (hah! like that?) and hungry enough to want to be a starter in the NFL.
    Adding that to the extension, the fact that we pursued him for 2 offseasons in a row, he was our main offseason target all points to Sage being allowed to step under center day 1.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    While agree with the investment that Chilly has in TJ, all you have to do is look how quickly he benched TJ last year claimed Gus was to the start for the rest of the year.
    *head scratcher*
    Tough to argue that. However, I think that has a lot to do with Childress' own inexperience as a HC and his need to save his job. Chilly has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he is not the QB "Guru" he was touted as. Jackson, unfortunately, was the result of this... too bad he had a bum knee and both starting WRs out for those first two games. People always seem to forget that.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    It was TJs comments to Chilly that he was playing scared, afraid to lose games that got him benched, not his play per se.
    He said he's playing not to lose. With someone who has had his entire NFL career to date under Brad Childress ("Playing not to lose" is his coaching motto...), it's tough to know what the hell to play for. When your coach thinks people like Kelly Holcomb, Brooks Bollinger and Gus Ferrotte are the people you want grooming your QB for the future... you're in big trouble.

Despite that, Jackson has turned out pretty good and I am looking forward to him being the starting QB of the Minnesota Vikings next year.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    I just think Sage is seasoned enough (hah! like that?) and hungry enough to want to be a starter in the NFL.
    Adding that to the extension, the fact that we pursued him for 2 offseasons in a row, he was our main offseason target all points to Sage being allowed to step under center day 1.
    OK... can't argue that. I mean, Jackson has over 2x as many starts.. but Sage is seasoned?

If the change of scenery for Sage leads to Vikings wins... I could care less. Go Sage. Go Jackson. Go Vikes.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"C" wrote:
    If the change of scenery for Sage leads to Vikings wins... I could care less. Go Sage. Go Jackson. Go Vikes.
    Amen, sir. Amen.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    Amen, sir. Amen.
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"C" wrote:
    Tough to argue that. However, I think that has a lot to do with Childress' own inexperience as a HC and his need to save his job. Chilly has proven beyond a reasonable doubt that he is not the QB "Guru" he was touted as. Jackson, unfortunately, was the result of this... too bad he had a bum knee and both starting WRs out for those first two games. People always seem to forget that.
    I still want to see one quote from the Chiller lauding himself as a QB Guru.......

To many yutz sports writers in MN touting that gibberish IMHO and now that they look silly we see them typing crap like "Tied to TJ" even though we have seen nothing but the opposite other than some quotes by the same yutz sports writers from a HC that didn't throw his player under the bus but rather pumped him up abit.

QB guru indeed. ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I still want to see one quote from the Chiller lauding himself as a QB Guru.......

To many yutz sports writers in MN touting that gibberish IMHO and now that they look silly we see them typing crap like "Tied to TJ" even though we have seen nothing but the opposite other than some quotes by the same yutz sports writers from a HC that didn't throw his player under the bus but rather pumped him up abit.

QB guru indeed. ;D
    Personally I'm tired of talking about the faults and supposed pros of Childress.
    He's the coach, and he better make the playoffs this year.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

QB guru indeed. ;D
    Personally I'm tired of talking about the faults and supposed pros of Childress.
    Not sure why he won't make a change, however, I really thought he would shitcan two coaches this year........ST's and QB's.

I can see why (to a point) he kept Rodgers as TJ did come off the bench rather nicely, however, sticking with (glad someone else wanted his ass) for the lame ass excuse for a ST's coach is beyond comprehension IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:

QB guru indeed. ;D
    Not sure why he won't make a change, however, I really thought he would shitcan two coaches this year........ST's and QB's.

I can see why (to a point) he kept Rodgers as TJ did come off the bench rather nicely, however, sticking with (glad someone else wanted his jiggly butt) for the lame jiggly butt excuse for a ST's coach is beyond comprehension IMHO.
    I agree, if someone makes you the fire chief and you burn down the station you generally lose your job.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    *head scratcher*

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    He said he's playing not to lose. With someone who has had his entire NFL career to date under Brad Childress ("Playing not to lose" is his coaching motto...), it's tough to know what the hell to play for. When your coach thinks people like Kelly Holcomb, Brooks Bollinger and Gus Ferrotte are the people you want grooming your QB for the future... you're in big trouble.

Despite that, Jackson has turned out pretty good and I am looking forward to him being the starting QB of the Minnesota Vikings next year.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    OK... can't argue that. I mean, Jackson has over 2x as many starts.. but Sage is seasoned?

As far as the argument goes, I'm on the fence. I have zero problems with Sage and I think he was a healthy pick up. That being said, I think TJ will get the nod.

Two questions though: Starts are the only thing that make a player seasoned? 8 years in the league doesn't count at all?
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast