Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings KFFL tidbits (24 Feb. - 4 March 2009)

Vikings | Looking to keep Birk and Kleinsasser
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:17:53 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have had talks to re-sign C Matt Birk and TE Jim Kleinsasser. The team is expected to extend contract offers to both players.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Sharper to test the market
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:17:38 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings S Darren Sharper is expected to test the free-agent market.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Allison needs to improve to stick
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:17:20 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Aundrae Allison seemed to regress during his second season. He will need to win a roster spot in 2009.

Vikings | Grigsby and Mitchell not tendered
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:17:00 -0800

Chip Scoggins and Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have not tendered restricted free-agents DEs Otis Grigsby and Jayme Mitchell. Both are now unrestricted free agents.

Vikings | Evans given tender offer
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:16:46 -0800

Chip Scoggins and Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have submitted a qualifying tender to restricted free-agent DT Fred Evans.

Vikings | McKinnie due in court soon
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:16:27 -0800

Chip Scoggins and Judd Zulgad, of The Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings OLT Bryant McKinnie will have a status hearing March 5. He has a March 16 trial date on four charges, stemming from an altercation outside of a Miami nightclub. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.

Vikings | Uncapped year could hurt T. Jackson
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:02:06 -0800

Rick Alonzo, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson is entering the final year of his contract. He could, however, run into troubles if the 2010 season remains uncapped. If that happens, he would be a restricted free agent. Players need at least six years of service to be an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year instead of the four during a capped year.

Vikings | Uncapped year could hurt Griffin
    Thu, 26 Feb 2009 05:01:12 -0800

Rick Alonzo, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Cedric Griffin is entering the final year of his contract. He could, however, run into troubles if the 2010 season remains uncapped. If that happens, he would be a restricted free agent. Players need at least six years of service to be an unrestricted free agent in an uncapped year instead of the four during a capped year.

Vikings | Tahi receives lowest tender
    Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:31:52 -0800

Chip Scoggins, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports the Minnesota Vikings have offered restricted free-agent FB Naufahu Tahi the lowest tender, which is a one-year, $1.01 million contract.

Vikings | Interested in J. Brown, Saturday?
    Wed, 25 Feb 2009 07:23:55 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings could pursue Baltimore Ravens impending free-agent C Jason Brown in free agency. Should the team be unable to land Brown, Indianapolis Colts impending free-agent C Jeff Saturday could be a possibility.

Vikings | Gordon contract update
    Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:22:09 -0800

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Charles Gordon's one-year contract is expected to include a base salary of roughly $530,000, with a chance to earn another $500,000 in incentives.

Vikings | Trial date set for DTs case against NFL
    Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:26:45 -0800

Chip Scoggins, of the Minneapolis Star Tribune, reports a June 15 trial date has been set for Minnesota Vikings DT Kevin Williams and DT Pat Williams' court case against the NFL over their four-game suspensions for violating the league's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances.

Vikings | Gordon agrees to terms
    Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:17:40 -0800

Sean Jensen, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports the Minnesota Vikings have agreed to terms with CB Charles Gordon on a one-year contract. Financial terms were not disclosed.

Vikings | Have offered Rosenfels extension
    Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:32:53 -0800

Judd Zulgad and Chip Scoggins, of the Star Tribune, report the Minnesota Vikings have offered Houston Texans QB Sage Rosenfels, who will be acquired in a trade, a three-year, $9 million extension, according to SportsRadio 610 in Houston.

Vikings | Rosenfels will compete for starting quarterback job
    Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:55:56 -0800

John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports Houston Texans QB Sage Rosenfels, who will be traded to the Minnesota Vikings Friday, Feb. 27, will be given a chance to win the team's starting quarterback job.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Vikings KFFL tidbits (24-26 Feb. 2009)

Thanks Proph.

No talks with Sharper?
    Wonder why.

Kindof anticipated that they would overhaul the DT position.
    Problem is that the Williams boys issue sure comes at a bad time......Glad they are at least bringing Evans back.

My guess is we will see something done with some of our guys who's contracts are coming due (ie Griff and possiby even TJ) sometime this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Big C is offline Coordinator

I'm really happy to hear Gordon signed with us again.

Very happy with the trade for Rosenfels. I juts hope Chilli gives him a fair shot for the starting job. That's not a knock on TJ. I just want the best man to win the job. While Gus could compete with TJ, he can't last a 16 week season as the starter. So I am very excited about this trade.

Trying to resign Birk and Kleinny is a classy move in my opinion. These kind of gestures should help make the Vikings more attractive for veteran free agents. Kind of like how some are willing to restructure contracts to play for the Patriots.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

"Big" wrote:

Very happy with the trade for Rosenfels. I juts hope Chilli gives him a fair shot for the starting job. That's not a knock on TJ. I just want the best man to win the job. While Gus could compete with TJ, he can't last a 16 week season as the starter. So I am very excited about this trade.

Trying to resign Birk and Kleinny is a classy move in my opinion. These kind of gestures should help make the Vikings more attractive for veteran free agents. Kind of like how some are willing to restructure contracts to play for the Patriots.
    My guess is Matt will resign with us if he doesn't get a better qualifying offer.

That is to say I think we offered him backup money with escalators if he is the starter but the team has decided to start someone other than him at C this year and he isn't ready to be relagated to backup duties quite yet.

If that wasn't the case, I believe he would have already signed/accepted the offer.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

My guess is Matt will resign with us if he doesn't get a better qualifying offer.

That is to say I think we offered him backup money with escalators if he is the starter but the team has decided to start someone other than him at C this year and he isn't ready to be relagated to backup duties quite yet.

If that wasn't the case, I believe he would have already signed/accepted the offer.
    My guess is that he is going to resign at a contract lower than he could get in free agency and he will start.
    The problem is that he knows he can get more coin somewhere else, but, he doesn't like the opportunity cost so he's willing to sign for less to finish off his career with the Vikings.
    They discussed it with him and he knows that since he's toward the end of his career they want him, a probowl center, in the mix so the future C can continue to learn the position from him.
    He will start if signed and share some time with Cook and/or Sullivan, probably more progressively as the season goes on.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

My guess is that he is going to resign at a contract lower than he could get in free agency and he will start.
    The problem is that he knows he can get more coin somewhere else, but, he doesn't like the opportunity cost so he's willing to sign for less to finish off his career with the Vikings.
    They discussed it with him and he knows that since he's toward the end of his career they want him, a probowl center, in the mix so the future C can continue to learn the position from him.
    He will start if signed and share some time with Cook and/or Sullivan, probably more progressively as the season goes on.
    I agree with all of that but have one wildcard for you to consider.....

I know alot of people disagree with me on this, but Matts play just doen't warrant starters money or the starters roster spot anymore.......I've watched him pretty close, he rarely pulls anymore, struggles with the bigger NT's and seems to get confused on blitz schemes of late.

Maybe, just maybe, I am right with respect to the drop off in his play and no team will offer him starters money.
    If that happens, it comes back to my scenario.
    He opts to stay with us for less in the hopes that the young kid fails and his escalators kick in.

Just sayin....... :

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

I know alot of people disagree with me on this, but Matts play just doen't warrant starters money or the starters roster spot anymore.......I've watched him pretty close, he rarely pulls anymore, struggles with the bigger NT's and seems to get confused on blitz schemes of late.

Maybe, just maybe, I am right with respect to the drop off in his play and no team will offer him starters money.
    He opts to stay with us for less in the hopes that the young kid fails and his escalators kick in.

Just sayin....... :
    I don't buy it.
    I agree that his play has slid, but, when you are one of the best in the game and when your play is sliding you are still better than most of the mediocre hacks in the league.
    He has the talent and the brains to play the position and play it well.
    He has the requisite physical skills for the position and he has the intelligence to make up for his decline in physical play by using applied knowledge gained through experience.
    I'm sure there are other teams that are willing to pay more than what the Vikings will end up offering, but, it's not worth it for Birk to walk.
    I also think he was calling their bluff too, they probably tried to lowball him on the new contract, and, by default, he was forced to say he will test the free agency so the #s will rise to a more palatable figure for him.

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Big" wrote:

Just sayin....... :
    I don't buy it.
    I agree that his play has slid, but, when you are one of the best in the game and when your play is sliding you are still better than most of the mediocre hacks in the league.
    He has the requisite physical skills for the position and he has the intelligence to make up for his decline in physical play by using applied knowledge gained through experience.
    I'm sure there are other teams that are willing to pay more than what the Vikings will end up offering, but, it's not worth it for Birk to walk.
    I also think he was calling their bluff too, they probably tried to lowball him on the new contract, and, by default, he was forced to say he will test the free agency so the #s will rise to a more palatable figure for him.
    Again, I agree with you in total if and only if I am wrong and his play hasn't dropped off to the level that he won't be considered a starter by other teams.

Kindof lump him and Saturday into the same group.
    Long in the tooth, storied careers with some left in the tank.
    If there is a team out there that isn't running a ZB scheme and doesn't use thier C's as pulling C's then I guess he will/should find a home.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"Big" wrote:

I am hoping that we at least get Kleinny back. Birk I think deserves a two year extension, but with a reduced salary. No way should he be pulling $6M next year.
    Tahi I can only hope someone makes an offer for him... bleah.

As for your hope that Chilly give Sage a shot at starting, we had some good discussions in a thread totally about that.
    C Mac called my logic stupid; however I believe that Sage will be our starter come week 1 next year.
    The contract extension (and $ figure mind you) gives you every indication that Sage will at worst get a shot, and at most be the favorite to start for us next year.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=Big C link=topic=50697.msg912489#msg912489 date=1235659448]

Just sayin....... :
    I don't buy it.
    Again, I agree with you in total if and only if I am wrong and his play hasn't dropped off to the level that he won't be considered a starter by other teams.

Kindof lump him and Saturday into the same group.
    Long in the tooth, storied careers with some left in the tank.

If there is a team out there that isn't running a ZB scheme and doesn't use thier C's as pulling C's then I guess he will/should find a home.
    [/quote]

I agree that Saturday is lumped into the group like you mentioned.
    It can be argued that he has been involved in a much more complex no huddle offense and may be more seasoned in that aspect.
    It doesn't hurt that he has had the luxury of having a QB with a developed brain making the whole line look better than it actually is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast