Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings KFFL tidbits (1-3 June 2007)

"Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    I don't think he'll be the guy eventually. But I think they'll try it out, so I won't be shocked if he get a return or two in some pre-season games to test if he has some flair for doing it.
    No way.
    MeMo is one of the top PRs in the NFL (#11 in 2006 - ahead of Reggie Bush, I might add) and if there's a spot for him on the roster, it's as PR.

=Z=
    Sure. But that doesn't mean that they wont try out AP there in the preseason games, to see what he could possibly do in that position. And even if Memo is clearly better, he could get injured.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    I don't think he'll be the guy eventually. But I think they'll try it out, so I won't be shocked if he get a return or two in some pre-season games to test if he has some flair for doing it.
    No way.
    MeMo is one of the top PRs in the NFL (#11 in 2006 - ahead of Reggie Bush, I might add) and if there's a spot for him on the roster, it's as PR.
    Sure. But that doesn't mean that they wont try out AP there in the preseason games, to see what he could possibly do in that position. And even if Memo is clearly better, he could get injured.
    Name me another team who puts their #1 RB (or #1A RB) out there to return kicks.
    Reggie Bush doesn't count, since returning kicks is part of his package.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    No way.
    Name me another team who puts their #1 RB (or #1A RB) out there to return kicks.
    Reggie Bush doesn't count, since returning kicks is part of his package.

=Z=
    I think Reggie Bush counts.

They saw that he did an ok job at that last season, and they want to see if AP can do that too.

It hasn't been a part of his package in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't be in the future.

It's just a test to see if he can possibly be great at getting on the field at that position. If it works out great, if it doesn't not sweat.

Sometimes coaches are holding a little back with putting their best players in at those situation, but it does happen some times. Steve Smith also returns kicks for Caroline. And it's really not that much different from Winfield being in on coverage situations, just like Rodney Harrison does and New England, as well as a lot of other starters around the league.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

It looks like they are trying everybody at returns to see who is best at it.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"cogitans" wrote:
    I think Reggie Bush counts.

They saw that he did an ok job at that last season, and they want to see if AP can do that too.
    Being a PR/KR was part of the package the Saints got when they drafted Bush.
    He didn't win the Heisman for being a RB - he won for being a RB, KR & PR.
    Very very very different from a guy who NEVER returned a kick of ANY kind in 3 years of college football.

Here are some of the KFFL quotes from 2006 concerning returning kicks:

Vikings | Moore practicing kickoff returns
    Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:52:56 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Mewelde Moore worked on returning kickoffs Thursday, June 15.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Edwards practicing kickoff returns
    Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:43:09 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings CB Dovonte Edwards worked on returning kickoffs Thursday, June 15.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vikings | Kasper practicing kickoff returns
    Thu, 15 Jun 2006 21:27:15 -0700

Judd Zulgad, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Kevin Kasper worked on returning kickoffs Thursday, June 15.

Vikings | M. Moore penciled in as primary punt returner
    Sun, 14 May 2006 22:16:38 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings RB Mewelde Moore will open training camp as the team's primary punt returner, according to special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro.

Vikings | K. Robinson penciled in as primary kickoff returner
    Sun, 14 May 2006 22:16:24 -0700

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings WR Koren Robinson will open training camp as the team's primary kickoff returner, according to special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro.
    I think this shows that lots of players are sent back there to catch punts during practices.
    But when the time comes, there's no way The Big Chill risks AD and his collarbone returning punts in game action.

It hasn't been a part of his package in the past, but that doesn't mean it can't be in the future.

It's just a test to see if he can possibly be great at getting on the field at that position. If it works out great, if it doesn't not sweat.

Sometimes coaches are holding a little back with putting their best players in at those situation, but it does happen some times. Steve Smith also returns kicks for Caroline. And it's really not that much different from Winfield being in on coverage situations, just like Rodney Harrison does and New England, as well as a lot of other starters around the league.
    There's a huge difference in being a wing guy on kick-off coverage who's responsibility it is to turn the returners back towards the middle of the field so the coverage swarm can stop him than being the target with the ball for the other team to crush.

As to Steve Smith - he's a special case.
    He started as a KR/PR who worked his way into the lineup as a starring WR.
    And then, in 2004, he broke his leg in the first game of the season and the Panthers were screwed.
    They lost not only their #1 WR, but also their #1 KR/PR for the entire season.

That is why teams don't try to put their top top top players out there as return men - too much downside if they get hurt.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Very nice laydown of the situation.

I still fail to see where you're disagreeing with me. Except from the fact that there would be to much risk in having a starter returning.

I do agree that they are trying everyone out, and at the end of the day AP possibly wont be the guy back there returning those punts.

But that being said they will still try and see what he can do there in a preseason game. He is still a rookie, and as such if he can contribute as a return man, much like Bush did even if he hasn't been returning before, it's just an added bonus to his package, and I can't see why anyone would be against them trying him out at the position

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12