VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings Investigate Defensive Back

Vikings Investigate Defensive Back

Date: Apr 19, 2006

The Vikings have been communicating with a draft-eligible safety, inquiring whether he can play cornerback, and attending a private workout as well, according to the prospect. Find out about this player and what he has to say about his potential at the next level.

Howard University's Antoine Bethea talks about his aggressive style of play and much more in this exclusive interview.

Q: Your biggest numbers came during your sophomore year when you were at strong safety. At the pro level, are you getting a feel whether you project better as a strong safety or a free safety?

A: Not really. There are some teams that wonder if I can play the corner(back) position. Right now, I’m hearing more about free safety and the corner position – not really hearing anything about strong safety.

Q: Are there any specific teams that have been talking to you about playing cornerback?

A: Yes, sir – a couple of teams. The Chiefs called, and they had seen me on film at free safety, and wondered if I could play corner, if I had any film playing corner. Couple of teams I’ve been talking to – Seattle and Minnesota – wondering if I could play corner or not.

Q: Antoine, you had seven interceptions in your collegiate career, but the only knock I’ve heard about you is that some of your deflections could have been interceptions. What have you been doing to improve in that area, and have you been able to display that improvement to pro scouts?

A: Oh, yes, sir. The only thing I’m doing at the moment is working on more ball drills, looking the ball in. At my Pro Day, I caught all the balls when I did the drills. So, that’s the only thing I can do – keep working on those ball drills and my consistency.

Q: Now, you had three years as the team’s leading tackler, you made calls for your secondary…how hard is it going to be for you to accept the role of an NFL rookie after that kind of three-year stint?

A: You have to start somewhere. It happened before - when I first came to high school I had to do it, when I first came to college I had to do it. I have no problem sitting behind a veteran and learning from a veteran, and just waiting my turn to shine. When my turn comes, that’s when I have to do what I have to do. It won’t bother me at all to come in as a rookie and accept my role.

Q: You’re known as an aggressive defender. How do you keep that aggression from working against you on the field? Obviously, aggression can sometimes cause a player to over-pursue on a play, or maybe jump a little early on something. How do you stay focused and keep your aggression controlled?

A: Well, my defensive backs coach was a great coach, he knows that I’m a really aggressive player and would just tell me to be patient and don’t over-pursue because if I over-pursue, it will hurt the defense as well. Mostly, it’s being patient and letting the play unfold. Just go find the ball.

Q: Did you have the opportunity to have any formal interviews with any head coaches at the Combine?

A: I had a formal interview with the Jacksonville Jaguars, and side interviews with a couple other teams.

Q: Did you have some teams showing interest in you personally on your Pro Day?

A: Yeah – Jacksonville came, Cincinnati, the Baltimore Ravens, Detroit Lions, Washington Redskins. There were a couple teams showing interest.

Q: Have you done any workouts for other teams?

A: The Seahawks and Minnesota (April 13th).

Q: Is there anything else you’d like to mention that you think it’s important for people to know about you?

A: Just how much I love the game, and how much I realize that this is a good opportunity for me.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings Investigate Defensive Back

Interesting...I live about 3 blocks from Howard

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Investigate Defensive Back

"DCPologirl" wrote:
    Interesting...I live about 3 blocks from Howard
    Then go on over and recruit that guy...even if he doesn't get drafted, we are gonna need some rookie FAs to come into camp...maybe he will be a surprise and make the team or at least the practice squad.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE