Blog Entries

Re:Vikings Interested in Haynesworth?

Mr Anderson wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    What a fat tub of goo.

=Z=
    Amazing what a QB can do with a good OL.
    Vick is probably the best athlete to ever play QB, certainly the most mobile QB right now, and has played three fewer games this season than Favre.

How many times has he been sacked behind his "good OL"? 15.

How many times has Favre been sacked? 17. In three more games, with 10% of Vick's mobility.
    Good post.

What I find surprising is that people think Favre is immobile.

Does he scramble for big yards? no.

Does he evade pass rushers frequently? absolutely. Stepping up, side stepping, that's part of being mobile.

There's two types of mobile QB's, The'res the scramblers, like Vick, TJ, Webb, etc. They have great speed and agility, and can gain yards on broken plays, but there's also good mobile guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Brett Favre, who aren't gonna run for huge yards, but they can dodge pass rushers and keep the play alive.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Vikings Interested in Haynesworth?

Haynesworth?

Vikings interested in Haynesworth?

Now there's an option I hadn't considered...

...don't know about his football knowledge, but he can't be worse than Chiller.

...oh....wait....

I thought you meant as a Head Coach.

Nevermind.

Caine

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

Re: Vikings Interested in Haynesworth?

He isnt worth the headache
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Really? He listened to the coaches? We both know that's not true. You know his reasoning for the conservative play last year. He claims at first, he didn't trust his arm so he didn't try to force it. After a while, he grew confident, realized he coudl still bomb it 70 yards. Did you not notice, aside from the berrian tip-up week 3, he had no interceptions for 4 or 5 weeks? Thats why.
    Wow, a QB didn't listen to his coaches and yet, had the best year of his career!!!!!!
    Yep. Seem to recall Favre saying he was told not to audiable (Still did), was told to come out of the game (didn't) as well as other things.

Things that attributed to his success:
    a) weak arm at first, so he didn't push it
    b) excellent run game, forcing 8 in the box for most situations
    c) desire to prove he still had it
    d) desire to stick it to the packers

You notice he did the same thing the last three times people questioned whether he could still play? 2007: People didn't believe he'd be back in full strength, put up MVP type numbers
    2008: On pace for MVP, until he got hurt.
    2009: Had his best season yet.
    Yes, your concern is valid for next year. Personally, I agree with you. I don't think it will be as bad as you believe, but he won't duplicate last season.
    I don't believe it will be that bad and can be duplicated, but only if the Noodle listens to the coaches and doesn't try to force things cause its his last year.

This TEAM will win, not just a QB. If the gunslinger comes out, we won't win anything. Way to much proof that the gunslinger can't do it alone.
    Also proof that an ultra-conservative 'game manager' can't always win it. Case in point, look at 2008. With TJ, being conservative and cautious, we didn't do much. Stick in gus, our attempts, completions, interceptions and touchdowns all increase, but most importantly our wins. He took risks, but gave us chances to win. We just need to find a good balance.
    At what point does TJ go from learning hte game to being a quarterback? He's going into year 5. 5. He should know a good portion of the game. Enough to play well.
    I don't think he will ever quit learning. Just like I don't believe the Noodle shouldn't be at camp if he is healthy. Again, something I haven't waivered on.
    You've gotten quite good at dodging questions.

Also true.
    He had help, as does any QB who plays well. Good receivers can make a good QB look great. Good receivers can't make a bad QB look good. And yes, the team won some games. First two games were on the team, as Favre wasn't quite ready, Week 3 was Favre's baby. Packers games were all Favre, Ravens was pure luck, Bengals was a solid performance all-around, Giants was a team effort, with good performance by playlers INCLUDING Favre, Rams, shithawks were good team efforts. Does he go out and win every game? No but he puts us in a good position to win, or have the game well in hand.
    Sounds like you are describing a "Game Manager".
    Game managers go out and try not to lose. Putting us in a position to win, or have a game in hand is not a game manager, that is playing quarterback. guys like Ben as a rookie managed the game, in that they lmited turnovers, moved the ball semi-effectively and let the defense and run game dictate the game. That's a game manager
    Answer me, no bullshitting around it: Do you think Brett Favre singlehandedly cost us the game?
    NO.
    At least there's some sanity left in the world :P
    I can't believe your still on the Noodles tip/bandwagon.

Give it up my friend. Without Rice helping him out, we now see he just sucks.

Plain and simple.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Mr Anderson wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    What a fat tub of goo.

=Z=
    Amazing what a QB can do with a good OL.
    Vick is probably the best athlete to ever play QB, certainly the most mobile QB right now, and has played three fewer games this season than Favre.

How many times has he been sacked behind his "good OL"? 15.

How many times has Favre been sacked? 17. In three more games, with 10% of Vick's mobility.
    Good post.

What I find surprising is that people think Favre is immobile.

Does he scramble for big yards? no.

Does he evade pass rushers frequently? absolutely. Stepping up, side stepping, that's part of being mobile.

There's two types of mobile QB's, The'res the scramblers, like Vick, TJ, Webb, etc. They have great speed and agility, and can gain yards on broken plays, but there's also good mobile guys like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Brett Favre, who aren't gonna run for huge yards, but they can dodge pass rushers and keep the play alive.
    I don't think you can put Roethlisberger in the same category as those guys. It seems like all of the Steelers big plays are when he's scrambling around. But I agree on Peyton and Brady.

Favre on the other hand, has been avoiding pass rushers his whole career, and was comparable to the way Roethlisberger plays, scrambling and finding a receiver downfield, that was his MO for a while.

But in 2010? He can't move for shit. There's been a load of sacks this year that he hasn't tried to avoid, or could have gotten away from even last season. His ankle injury has really impacted his mobility IMO. Even in the early games of the season. Look at the strip sack TD in the endzone against the Dolphins. He didn't step up at all, had he, Cameron Wake(I think, I'm going off the top of my head) would have been taken right behind him.

I've noticed similar plays in other games, where Big Mac and Loadholt obviously get beat off the edge, but they've shown the ability to ride the rusher deep into the backfield where a QB shouldn't be, but Favre has been. Of course, that isn't always the case, sometimes they just get flat out beat.

I don't think Favre really trusts the guys around him this season. So he tries to do too much on his own, but doesn't have the physical tools due to injury to make it happen by himself anymore.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Excellent post my friend. Just a couple of comments/discussion points.

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Of course, that isn't always the case, sometimes they just get flat out beat.
    All of them do. Heck, even the Bores T's got beat, last week, the problem was, when that happens, there was room to move around in the pocket and Cutler did it, even to the point of vacating the pocket when that part wasn't there.

Gets back to pocket awareness. Something along the lines of what a certain few on here hacked on TJ for.

I don't think Favre really trusts the guys around him this season. So he tries to do too much on his own, but doesn't have the physical tools due to injury to make it happen by himself anymore.
    Is it a trust factor or a confused factor?

I see a guy who appears to be making bad decisions based on his pre-snap reads almost to the point that he has the team in a play that the defense is ready for.

I know I will get hacked on for that statement, but if one were to really look at some of our play selections, one would have to sit back and say, why the hell did they run that play and for me, it all gets back to the HOF QB and what he is doing at the line.

Of course, you could sit back and hack on the HC (We know he doesn't call the plays) or O-coord for the play selection, but then one would have to say, why isn't the HOF QB checking out of those plays.

Again, sitting back and watching the sets that are sent in by the HC/O-coord and see us try to pass out of a running set or run out of a passing set, one has to wonder who is really making the mistakes with respect to plays being called.

I for one, am of the mind that the Head Coach (Chiller) wouldn't be calling out his HOF QB for a play He/Bevs sent in my friend. I believe he is man enough to blame himself/Bevs instead of the Noodle.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314