Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Vikings haven't decided whether use franchise tag

"We've always done a very good job keeping our core young talent," Spielman said. "I'm sure as we finalize this thing that those guys we want to have back on this roster, and we want to keep our youth and our guys on this roster. I'll just leave it at that."
    Spielman said the Vikings personnel department and coaches spent last week going through the free agents who will hit the market if and when a new CBA is in place. This week that focus has shifted to draft preparation, especially on the offensive side of the ball.
    Spielman made it clear he would like to swing a trade to get a third-round pick. The Vikings gave up their third-rounder to New England in the trade for wide receiver Randy Moss last season.
    Vikings haven't decided whether to use franchise tag
    Some interesting quotes there.

First one, is, I hope a indicator they are going to try to retain alot of the 2006/2007 eligible free agents. I hope they mean just the ones coming off their first and/or second contract. The older ones just need to be let loose.

Second one. I find it interesting that they only took a week to look at potential FA market. Again, another indicator that they might not want to be active in the FA market but rather choose to sign their own.

Third one. Who can you think of, that we have on the roster, under contract, that could be used as trade bait?

K-Dubb, AD, BB, Hutch, Sully

Rotoworld
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Vikings haven't decided whether use franchise tag

A Few Quick Hitters From Chat With Spielman
    I should have used this one instead of the local rag. Much better use of the quotes and a prime example of how things get spun by yutz reporters.....:P :whistle: :laugh:

– The pro scouts have gone through and written up reports on hundreds of potential free agents as Spielman and his personnel staff begin to formulate a plan for whenever free agency begins. Spielman said evaluating potential free agents is similar to evaluating a draft class, even in terms of how the scouts build a board very similar to a draft board. Also, Spielman said, the scouts write up every player on the Vikings current roster so they can see where those players stack up against potential free agents.
    Anyone notice who compiles this? Surely not the coaches as some on here contend. (....Marrdro snickers to himself..)

– The college scouts are now in town and meeting at Winter Park in advance of the Scouting Combine next week. The college scouts arrived in town on Sunday and they’ll meet daily all the way until next Tuesday when they head to Indianapolis.
    (....Marrdro snickers to himself..)

– Spielman says all of the new coaches hired by Leslie Frazier have had a chance to evaluate the Vikings roster and share their thoughts on the players they’ll be coaching in 2011. Paramount in this process for Spielman is learning what each of these new coaches look for in certain positions. This is valuable knowledge for Spielman because it helps him communicate with the college scouts on what player traits the organization will value in the draft process. Also, Spielman mentioned that having several new coaches in the building can be beneficial in the free agent process because these coaches are coming from many different teams and divisions and therefore they have knowledge of certain players they’ve coached or coached against that will help the pro scouts in their evaluation process
    (....Marrdro snickers to himself..)

– Frazier has been an excellent communicator in the evaluation process, according to Spielman.
    No snicker here. This is something I am glad to hear. One of the good things I liked about the Chiller was he seemed to articulate what his staff needed when it came to players. Atleast he did it in a manner that allowed the scouts to find what he needed/wanted.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Whatever happens this year, Spielman has made one thing clear: The Vikings are going to need their draft picks to develop quickly if they hope to contend in 2011.

“We’re going to be a younger team for sure,” Spielman said. “Rookies will be forced into action.”
    Rick Spielman Talks Franchise Tag, Draft Day Trades
    Sounds like that the follow-out from that jibberish (Mass exodus) that that yutz Marrdro has been spewing.:laugh:

But the littlest tidbits from Spielman did catch my attention. He did specifically single out two impending free agents in Chad Greenway and Sidney Rice to say “Those guys we want to have back on our roster” and how the decision to either Franchise Tag them or sign them to a long-term deal was ongoing.
    So I went back to review wide receivers signing an extension in 2010 and here is what was found…

-> Andre Johnson signed a 7-year, $62.7 million contract with $48 million guaranteed

-> Miles Austin signed a 7-year, $57.2 million contract with $18 million guaranteed

-> Brandon Marshall signed a 5-year, $47.3 million contract with $12.5 million guaranteed

-> Anquan Boldin signed a 4-year, $28 million contract with $10 million guaranteed

When looking at these contracts in terms of guaranteed money, offering a wide receiver $10 to 12 million for one season is a lot of friggin money (Andre Johnson obviously has 4x that in guaranteed money, but guys that make the Pro Bowl 5 times before turning 30 likely end up in Canton). The tea leaves state that Spielman realizes this and that leads to further statements on how the Vikings are undecided on if we’ll even use the franchise tag at all.
    http://thevikingage.com/2011/02/15/p...franchise-tag/

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

3 players they must keep;

Rice
    Greenway
    Leber

They also need to keep either Robison or Edwards. We can't afford to lose both.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am indifferent on them keeping Rice. I used to be a big fan but he has a hard time staying healthy and that little stunt he pulled last year really make me question his commitment. I feel that the WR's are a little under the radar this year and we could get an equal talent in the 2nd round and save a boatload of cash over what he will cost us to sign.

I don't care whether Edwards or Leber come back but I do want to see them sign Robison and for sure Greenway.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089917
    I am indifferent on them keeping Rice. I used to be a big fan but he has a hard time staying healthy and that little stunt he pulled last year really make me question his commitment. I feel that the WR's are a little under the radar this year and we could get an equal talent in the 2nd round and save a boatload of cash over what he will cost us to sign.

I don't care whether Edwards or Leber come back but I do want to see them sign Robison and for sure Greenway.
    Agree...except I also like Leber, and I'd almost rather keep Robison and let Edwards go.

Rice I see as replaceable. He's GOOD, but his injury issues are troubling.

Caine

Caine

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1089914
    3 players they must keep;

Rice
    Greenway
    Leber

They also need to keep either Robison or Edwards. We can't afford to lose both.

And it's Greenway...just came across Twitter.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I don't think Leber is a MUST have, but I would like to keep him.

I wonder if we're going to actually let Rice walk....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Chad Greenway became the latest NFL player to have the franchise tag placed on him when the Vikings elected to use it on the linebacker today.

Vikings place franchise tag on Greenway
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast